Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tim Gould Peugeot Bike - Any info from you?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 05:38 PM
MrROG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I've just signed up to the bike forum having looked through some of the discussions with interset. Can any of you tell me more about the Peugeot MTB/Hybrid bike I have had for 10 years? I bought it 2nd hand so I don't have any of the brochure /sales info. The frame in silver and blue has the following decals "Tim Gould", "Shimano Team STI","Ritchey", "HLE Mangalloy", "Made in France".Hubs are Sachs-Maillard stamped 7V H41 92, The rims are marked Alesa Alloy, and it is fitted with 21 speed Shimano Altus C20 Shifters and gears. Despite the fact that the front suspension forks have become progressively stiffer, it gives me a reasonably comfortable ride on my daily commute. Is it worth investing in some new forks or start from scratch?
Old 09-03-05, 03:50 PM
TuckerUK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also own a Team Peugeot 'Tim Gould' MTB, in silver and blue. Same stickers as you have.

Sachs-Maillard hubs with Shimano 6-speed freewheel, Alesa eyeleted rims, non suspension.

Like you, I bought my bike second hand about 10 years ago (to replace my three week old brand new catalogue MTB which was stolen from my work!).

I have made a few upgrades already (Deore V brakes and levers, XT bottom bracket, 42/32/22 crankset, Specialized Crossroads tyres, all to replace worn/broken parts) and am now in the process of completely refurbishing the bike (Shimano 28-11 7-speed freewheel, LX front and rear mechs, STX shifters, SRAM PC-58 chain, LX headset, and a few other bits and bobs).

The bike is great for my needs (popping to the local shops, casual urban riding, some gentle off-roading), and with no Quick Releases anywhere, non fashionable frame style (with paints chips) and unexciting looks it doesn't attract unwanted attention.

I have scoured the WWW for info on this bike to no avail, so I'd love to hear from anyone knowledgeable on them.

Sorry I couldn't help with your question, but at least we seem to have the beginings of the only Team Peugoet 'Tim Gould' resource on the WWW!
Old 07-18-21, 05:49 AM
roofrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of these - a junior size bike with 24" wheels. I've changed to V brakes and road biased wheels. I've had it about ten or twelve years I suppose. It's indestructible. Son used it for his paper round, it's a little like a cross between a BMX and MTB as frame is small for an adult but I have a long stem and a tall seat post so I can ride it.
Old 07-18-21, 06:57 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Zombie thread. Based on the Tim Gould moniker, I'm assuming these are UK models. The combination of Altus C20 and HLE would make them entry level and circa 1993.

The 1993 Canadian and USA market Altus C20 model was the Peugeot Source ($319 US MSRP). However, by this time the North American models at this level were being manufactured by Procycle in Canada and used a plain gauge CrMo main triangle in place of Peugeot's HLE tubing.
Old 07-18-21, 07:23 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Here is a pic of one in silver and blue. Pic found on the internet. Not likely to have been owned by anyone who has posted in this thread.

Old 07-18-21, 08:40 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
When I started mountain-biking in the very early 90's Tim Gould rode for Peugeot and was probably the top MTB rider in the UK at that time. I can remember him bravely opening up about his own mental health issues.
Old 07-19-21, 02:57 AM
roofrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junior Team Peugeot Tim Gould images

No marking to suggest special steel on the frame however it does have forged rear dropouts. And it feels light. I got the bike free on Freecycle in Hampstead in about 2010.

Badged on the frame Shimano 18. Can't tell what these are - prob Shimano entry level.

Originally had thumb levers and a shorter stem tube. I think these are original bars although I replaced them with something backswept for a while - and then went back to these. It carries some Ritchey branding, although seemingly no Ritchey parts. It did have cantilever brakes originally.

Pressed dropout on original branded fork.