Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Multi-tool and saddle bag contents…what is really needed?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Multi-tool and saddle bag contents…what is really needed?

Old 07-20-21, 05:37 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
If your bike is decent condition, there is no reason to carry any tools whatsoever, (aside from tire irons).
What a bizarre opinion. What if you've got thru axles that require a big allen wrench to dismount/mount?

You mean, "there's no reason for ME to carry....", but suppose that it applies to everybody?
Old 07-20-21, 08:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Everything is laid out nicely, but I can't correlate your pics with what you're indicating is in the bags.
In the first pic I don't see any CO2 stuff (cartridges nor inflator).
In the 2nd pic I only see 1 tube, and can't see how you'd fit those CO2 cartridges in the bag shown?
​​​​​​
Argghh... I only glanced at the thumbnails on my phone and picked older photos. Here's my current setup in the Lezyne Road Caddy. The trick was eliminating the CO2 cartridge with the foam wrap, and getting a much smaller inflator.

The bulkier CO2 cartridge and inflator are in my Serfas wedge bag now.

A couple of friends prefer the Arundel bag, one of which has room for a folding tire or tubular setup. But those ride sideways and the narrower Velcro strap seems less secure, although I haven't heard any complaints. I just like the Lezyne Road Caddy.

Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-20-21, 08:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
fyi Sabino Cycles in Tucson AZ has a crap-ton of those Lezyne patch kits in stock.
Thanks, I'll see if they have any of the Lezyne patch kits alone for sale. Locally, Mellow Johnny's and my neighborhood LBS used to carry 'em, but not for the past year or so. I've tried several self-sticking patches and Lezyne's were the best. They're so thin it doesn't interfere with even the tightest fitting tube/tire/rim combination, unless some thicker glued patches. I even repaired a punctured Silca latex tube with a Lezyne patch. The trick was to scuff up the tube, wipe it with alcohol to remove the dust and any oil from my fingers. It held just fine for more than a year before a rupture developed around the valve stem base.
Old 07-20-21, 09:01 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
My current kit.
Old 07-20-21, 09:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Timely thread, it's been awhile. I'd add a spare shifter cable, cleat bolt and some zip ties.
I do carry a few zip ties in my wedge bag. I would have laughed about carrying a spare cleat bolt... until one of mine fell out last year. I still don't carry a spare but now I use Loctite on my cleat bolts.

Originally Posted by headwind15
If your bike is decent condition, there is no reason to carry any tools whatsoever, (aside from tire irons).
That's what the guy who borrowed my spare CO2 cartridge and patch kit said.

And the guy who needed my spare quick link.

There's always *that guy* on every group ride. But they're friends so I carry a few spares if I'm using a wedge bag.

If I'm carrying my minimalist Lezyne bag, with only one of everything, and we're still 20-50 miles from home, they might need to make the call of shame.

But I can see now why so many local riders use Gatorskins. I'm not quite that desperate yet. I'd rather jog in combat boots.
Old 07-20-21, 10:17 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Corollary Q is, what have you used?

From commuting, sport rides, centuries, brevets, 24 hour races:

Patch kit - yes
Tire levers - yes
Tube - yes
C02 - yes
Pump - yes
Boot - yes
Tubeless plug - yes
Allen wrench - yes

Stuff I've carried thousands of miles but never used
Tire - no
Chain break tool - no
Quick link - no
Zip ties - no
Chain link - no
Spoke - no
Shifter cable - no
Brake cable - no

Improvised or acquired repair items
Waist cord from a rain jacket, to stitch a torn recumbent seatback
Reflective ankle bands, combined with frame pump to splint a broken handlebar

Things needed but didn't have, that left me stranded
Flat repair kit (I've left home without one a handful of times, and been burned twice)
Belt drive belt
Belt drive cog

Things needed but I managed
Chain lube
Tire (before started carrying a spare; a bulging sidewall got me to the next town but yikes)
Cash
Disc brake pads
Rim brake pads
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-20-21, 10:56 PM
wkc

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 105 2016, Trek DS 8.5 2015, ProAce (1986?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I’m also not so fussed about weight. My saddle bag has -
Tube
Multitool (mine includes chain breaker)
Tyre levers (plastic)
Quick link
Couple of zip ties

And...two things that no one seems to carry...
One pair nitrile gloves
One sealed single wet wipe
(I hate greasy/dirty hands on my grips!)

I have a small high pressure pump strapped to frame.

At one stage, I used to carry an emergency space blanket (folded down to size of a half-sized permanent marker), but over the years, I’ve figured that I’m never that far from shelter, a shop, a farm house etc.
Old 07-21-21, 12:40 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Puncture repair stuff.
Tools to fix properly whatever you misadjusted in the shed last night.
A chain tool for a ripped off rear derailleur.
10$ for an emergency pie and coke.
Old 07-21-21, 05:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by wkc
...At one stage, I used to carry an emergency space blanket (folded down to size of a half-sized permanent marker), but over the years, I’ve figured that I’m never that far from shelter, a shop, a farm house etc.
I still carry those emergency blankets in winter, usually in a wedge bag. But if I'm on the bike with the smaller Lezyne Road Caddy, I try to remember to stuff the emergency blanket into a jersey pocket. I've seen people go into shock quickly and while I haven't -- yet -- in a crash, that's just luck.

Come to think of it, I should carry it in summer too. Those metalized sheets can protect from the scorching sun as well as retain warmth in winter. It doesn't weigh any more or take up any more room than a Clif bar.

Speaking of which, I save Clif bar packets to use as toe warmers over my socks for winter rides, walks and runs. Same Mylar, metalized plastic material as space blankets.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-21-21, 08:00 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Extra quick link for chain. Bontrager multi-tool was like $8 and has the Allen wrench size for the R8000 FD. 2 CO2 cartridge, 1 tube. And sunglass cloth wipe thing, been useful on foggy days for example.
Old 07-21-21, 08:07 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
​​​​​​
Argghh... I only glanced at the thumbnails on my phone and picked older photos. Here's my current setup in the Lezyne Road Caddy. The trick was eliminating the CO2 cartridge with the foam wrap, and getting a much smaller inflator.

The bulkier CO2 cartridge and inflator are in my Serfas wedge bag now.

A couple of friends prefer the Arundel bag, one of which has room for a folding tire or tubular setup. But those ride sideways and the narrower Velcro strap seems less secure, although I haven't heard any complaints. I just like the Lezyne Road Caddy.

I have pretty much the EXACT same setup as you with the Lezyne Road Caddy. Works great.
Old 07-21-21, 08:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
  • a spare tube. Last needed one 18 months ago.
  • a set of tire levers. Last used probably 3 years ago because I showed my son how to remove the flat tire with fingers only 18 months ago.
  • a CO2 inflator. Last used 18 months ago.
  • a 16 gram CO2 cylinder. Last used 18 mouths ago.
  • a screwdriver with changeable bits. Used once while on a ride 3 or 4 years ago.
  • a set of tube patches and glue that dried up many years ago.
  • I think there might be a Swiss Army knife in the bottom, but I haven't seen it in ages. Never cared for them. Never used. Something I found in the grass.
  • Three or four allen wrenches and some torx bits that fit the various things on my bike. I think sometime in the last year I may have moved my saddle a little.
  • a house key. I use that every ride almost if no one is home to let me in.

I'm really wondering why I carry all that. Seems I could just get by with the house key. Not a high mileage rider but I do put in 3 to 4K miles a year.

Multi tools I'd never buy. They really don't get into the tight places I might really need them.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-21-21 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-21-21, 01:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
My take is that you should carry enough to fix any issue that would be too embarrassing to admit to not being able to fix on the road. Just picture yourself saying to other cyclists, "I had a flat, so I had to call my (spouse, spousal equivalent, friend, etc) to come pick me up." So, fix a flat, tighten a screw, etc. Simple stuff.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-21-21, 01:37 PM
iReadBlitz

Bikes: '21 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
The undersaddle "road bandit" kit by Specialized is what i carry. Holds a tube, CO2 + head, and levers in a very compact manner. I also have a small frame mounted bag that carries my multi tool and other misc things.
Old 07-21-21, 01:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
I've recently (well, 3.5 years ago) moved to Portland OR, which has good transit coverage. So for my commuter, secondary to flat repair is my Hop card. That'll get me home without having to make the call of shame.
Old 07-21-21, 02:13 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I'm running tubeless as well. However I'm the only one in the group of friends that does.

I personally carry 2 CO2 cartridges, inflator head, levers, tubeless plug kit, Crank Bros multitool and a tube; I stopped bringing a mini pump a while ago. The tube is in case I get a big enough slash *knock on wood* but also in case another rider needed one.
Old 07-21-21, 02:30 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
(Oops, forgot the most important: money and/or credit card - though many youngsters keep their payment method on their phones nowadays, or so I've heard.)
I'd be curious how well the phone-only method works these days, in convenience stores in particular. Out of habit I just hand the card when I am normally in one so don't really notice if they upgraded yet or not. I have not needed any replenishment on bike rides in a long time and I don't carry cash or cards any more.

Oh, in my bag I have a multi-tool with chain breaker, Stan's Darts, a Park TB-2 tire patch, and tire levers. I have a small pump on my frame. On trips further afield I include a tube as backup.

Hey if you are running aero rims tubeless, make sure your backup tube has a long enough stem. I did a couple rides with a likely-useless backup tube.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 07-21-21 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-21-21, 06:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I'd be curious how well the phone-only method works these days, in convenience stores in particular.
The wife and I did a ride on the California coast last Saturday. At the little convenience store at Costanoa Lodge, I paid with my Apple Watch. I did the same at the grocery store in tiny Pescadero.

But the little store in Memorial Park was cash only, so I had to use my emergency $20 for some rocky road ice cream. Double scoop, so good.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-22-21, 06:29 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Campy T wrench in pocket, spare tire strapped to saddle. Bonus points if a Binda toestrap is used to hold tire.
Old 07-22-21, 02:16 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
3 and 4mm hex keys. (Canyon also needs a 5mm, a terrible choice given their size.)
CO2 inflator with two carts - Lezyne I think. It's tiny.
A spare CR2032 battery.
Two disc brake spacers in case I need to transport the bike with the wheels off.
A 1-inch folding pocket knife
Bacon strips and applicator - never used, will probably stop carrying this
Super glue
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-23-21, 05:23 AM
bch238

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 latex tube wrapped in a dog poop baggie (they are super thin)
2 CO2 cartridges
1 CO2 inflator
2 patches
1 tube of patch fluid
1 quick link
1 Park Tool CT-5 chain tool (the mini one)
Hex Keys 5mm, 4mm, 3mm, and 2.5 mm ($12 Bondhus set with plastic holder, removed 1.5 and 2mm keys) with ball ends
25 Torx key
2 Pedros tire levers (because one might break, and they nest together, and they are the best lever made)
CR 2032 battery (fits HR monitor and Quarq PM)
Valve removal tool

Carried a multi-tool for years, but they are heavy, have unnecessary tools, and the hex keys are usually too short. Also, ball ends on individual keys allow easier access to the things you adjust most during the ride (bottle cage bolts, upper and lower limit screws).

Last edited by bch238; 07-23-21 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 05:58 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Spare cleat and hardware. They break.

I bring a lot of stuff for long rides. Duct tape, zip ties, and superglue have come in handy.

The commercially made boot is worthless, good for maybe 20 miles. Cut a piece from an old tubular or a racing type clincher.
Old 07-23-21, 06:08 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
What do people keep in their saddle bags?
What's a saddle bag? I carry some things in a jersey pocket to repair flats. That's on my road bike...gravel and MTB are a different story.
Old 07-23-21, 09:28 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I'll never understand people who obsess over bike weights and components and then carry all this crap with them.

The only thing you need is a phone. Everything else is theater. You're not crossing the Sahara so stop with this nonsense.
Old 07-23-21, 11:26 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by basscadet
The only thing you need is a phone. Everything else is theater. You're not crossing the Sahara so stop with this nonsense.
The only nonsense I’m seeing here is what I’ve quoted above.

Likes For terrymorse:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.