Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hey Miyata people, help me out!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 06:19 PM
OldManJones

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Interval TG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I just came across a NOS 1999 Team Miyata in my size and I'm buying it!! I could go on and on about how excited I am, but there is one piece I'm not thrilled about. The Team Miyata from that year has an aluminum fork. I'm sure some might feel it's lame to think about switching it out for steel or carbon, but it's crossed my mind. So, what would you do?
Old 04-18-21, 06:27 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
I have never seen a 99 Team Miyata. Can you post some pictures?

Old 04-18-21, 06:28 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
So, what would you do?

Ride it and see if I like it.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-18-21, 06:34 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Yep, ride it first and see how it feels. The aluminum one on my 1999 Schwinn Circuit was harsh unless the road surface was perfectly smooth, the one on my Vitus Argal was downright scary at speed because it felt vague and was all over the place. The one on my Bridgestone Mile 112 was divine. Solid and precise yet not too harsh on the rough chipseal.

You can't expect them all to be the same or to ride like junk. You need to ride them and see how it works for you and your style of riding.

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-18-21 at 07:04 PM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 04-18-21, 06:48 PM
OldManJones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First photo is the one I'm buying.

Old 04-18-21, 06:52 PM
OldManJones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Yep, ride it first and see how it feels. The aluminum one on my 1999 Schwinn Circuit was harsh unless the road service was perfectly smooth, the one on my Vitus Argal was downright scary at speed because it felt vague and was all over the place. The one on my Bridgestone Mile 112 was divine. Solid and precise yet to harsh on the rough chipseal.

You can't expect them all to be the same or to ride like junk. You need to ride them and see how it works for you and your style of riding.

wow i had no idea there was that much variance between those forks, thanks for the input.
Old 04-18-21, 09:28 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I have an ‘88 Cannondale Criterium with an aftermarket Sakae FX Litage aluminum fork. On busted up cracked asphalt it is a bit rough but I’m rather used to it. On new pavement nothing compares to the road feel I get, very smooth and controllable.
Old 04-19-21, 08:17 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I'd say ride it and consider adding a carbon fork later. You're the one riding it and I have heard many people enjoy the change on a vintage steel frame.
If they made compatible touring forks with discs I would even consider it on some of my bikes.
Old 04-19-21, 08:36 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by OldManJones
Hi,

I just came across a NOS 1999 Team Miyata in my size and I'm buying it!! I could go on and on about how excited I am, but there is one piece I'm not thrilled about. The Team Miyata from that year has an aluminum fork. I'm sure some might feel it's lame to think about switching it out for steel or carbon, but it's crossed my mind. So, what would you do?
You mean a 1989 Team Miyata? Miyata was outta biz by '99...
Old 04-19-21, 08:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Agreed, you really should ride them for an extended period of time to see if you like them. They appear to be from Tange's Fusion series.
Old 04-19-21, 08:45 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Really?

https://www.miyatabike.com/
Old 04-19-21, 09:06 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
WHat exactly is your concern? Miyata is/was a reputable and highly regarded builder who sold many thousands of bikes. What makes you think they made a mistake on this bike?
Old 04-19-21, 09:33 AM
OldManJones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by C9H13N
My mistake. It's a 1993
Old 04-19-21, 09:35 AM
OldManJones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
WHat exactly is your concern? Miyata is/was a reputable and highly regarded builder who sold many thousands of bikes. What makes you think they made a mistake on this bike?
Just don't see much aluminum on road bike forks is all. Based on steel and carbon fiber being used so much more I tend to think they're better for the task, but I'm no expert on this.
Old 04-19-21, 09:35 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Suddenly I had this thought...., maybe heard about 'the death fork'? In that case, do not worry. Only Viscount and Lambert had these, for a short time.

Last edited by fabiofarelli; 04-19-21 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 09:57 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Just don't see much aluminum on road bike forks is all. Based on steel and carbon fiber being used so much more I tend to think they're better for the task, but I'm no expert on this.
Bikes were primarily steel from ~1880-1995 or so. THis was just the traditional method for constructing frames and forks. By 2000 or so, steel was much less common and Aluminum was more popular in frames and forks, but not long after, carbon forks became the standard. I think this was as much of a marketing decision as anything else - a carbon fibre fork on an otherwise mundane bike seems like an upgrade. The truth was, however, that many carbon forks only had the mid part of the legs made from carbon and the rest of the fork - steerer, crown, top part of legs, and dropouts, were aluminum.
Old 04-19-21, 10:03 AM
tendency

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
You may be interested in this: https://www.ragandbone.ca/Miyata/miyata_selector.html
Yep, you definitely have a '93. Very nice Miyata 'STB' tubing with, unfortunately, a crappy aluminum fork that Miyata switched to in the early 90s to save money. Personally I'd try to find a late 80s/early 90s Japanese steel fork to replace it with. You can find out what they looked like in the late 80s miyata catalogs.
Old 04-19-21, 10:11 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Here is the 1993 Koga-Miyata FullPro which, if I'm not mistaken, is basically the same frame. That year came with an Alfrex Alloy 6000 A.P.A. bonded fork with partial polishing.
The scan seam is unfortunately right around the top of the fork but the similar models all have the same fork and look exactly like yours.

Pretty sweet splined triple butted chromoly frames and probably came with 8-speed Dura Ace groupset.
Check out the Koga-Miyata thread for more info and specs.

Now that I have read about the bonded fork I am even more inclined to replace it. It was a cool technology but after almost 30 years that epoxy can have a tendency to fail.
Pretty sweet effect with the polished and clear coated aluminum though. Looks a lot like chrome socks.

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-19-21 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 10:21 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,221 Posts
A lot of the bikes were using aluminum forks in the early 90's. Maybe people just didn't trust the carbon option? I wouldn't hesitate putting one on.
Old 04-19-21, 10:29 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by curbtender
A lot of the bikes were using aluminum forks in the early 90's. Maybe people just didn't trust the carbon option? I wouldn't hesitate putting one on.
Early carbon was an aluminum tube with carbon fiber wrapped around it. A little lighter but the technology was in its infancy.

The fork on this Miyata is very likely a bonded aluminum fork. At the very least I would suggest checking the sharp edges for cracks in the paint, which can indicate the epoxy failing.
Old 04-19-21, 10:59 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
This definitely isn't 1989, as it has the fastback stays and vertical dropouts that first appeared circa 1993. Miyata was definitely still in business in 1999, though they had closed their USA sales/distribution division by that time. We still had them in Canada in 1999 and they were also available in Europe (as Koga-Miyata). There may have have been some USA dealers that were independently importing Miyata.
Old 04-19-21, 11:23 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I've never seen any statistics suggesting that bonded forks from Tange (I believe the world's largest and most-trusted fork manufacturer for many years) were less reliable than steel forks.
And I've heard of no tendency for good bonded frames/forks from the early 90's to suffer higher rates of failure than steel.
I've re-bent crashed aluminum forks and can tell you that they were very strong in terms of the force required to re-bend(!!!), and that no failure of bonding ensued.

Just like forks made from steel or from carbon or from carbon/aluminum, a fork can be made more or less noodly than an average fork.
Aluminum forks saved about a half-pound in most cases versus a steel fork, hence their popularity!

Miyata certainly knew what they were doing when it came to making quality frames/bicycles, made rather few mistakes over the years though I seem to be recalling one early-90's model, a few of which suffered top tube failure at the rear cable port(?).
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-19-21, 11:34 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Miyata certainly knew what they were doing when it came to making quality frames/bicycles, made rather few mistakes over the years though I seem to be recalling one early-90's model, a few of which suffered top tube failure at the rear cable port(?).
To my knowledge, these were the frames that used internal cable routing along the top tube for the rear brake cable. The openings were not reinforced and would eventually crack. The OP's bike has external cable routing, so it wouldn't be an issue with this one.

OP -- yes, just ride it and see what you think first. I've fallen victim to upgrade fever before, but you're starting out with an excellent bike, so I would start with the bike as designed first.
Old 04-19-21, 12:49 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
I replaced the aluminum fork on my Performance Focus bike with a carbon fork, and it improved the ride significantly.
Having said that, I think the first thing to try would be to switch to 28mm tires (or whatever widest tire will fit in the frame). That will probably soften the ride enough to make it acceptable. CF seatpost and handlebars also help soften the ride.
Old 04-19-21, 03:56 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by dddd
I've never seen any statistics suggesting that bonded forks from Tange (I believe the world's largest and most-trusted fork manufacturer for many years) were less reliable than steel forks.
And I've heard of no tendency for good bonded frames/forks from the early 90's to suffer higher rates of failure than steel.
I've re-bent crashed aluminum forks and can tell you that they were very strong in terms of the force required to re-bend(!!!), and that no failure of bonding ensued.
I don't have any statistics on the forks either but I can tell you that still functional bonded frames by (Koga-)Miyata are rare nowadays. Even in the price range where they should be as common as their steel counterparts. And I have an active search running for the bonded lugged Carbolite models. Quite often the sellers mention problems with the frame and suggest some superglue.
Then again, that's on the frames with carbon/titanium tubing in cast aluminum lugs. The different materials almost always mean some oxidation occurs over time and the frame fails. It's usually the aluminum. Technically the epoxy isn't the bit that fails. It's the layer underneath that it is bonded to.

I think aluminum is a wonderful material but I have broken enough aluminum parts that I am wary about it in certain applications and I sure as hell wouldn't bend it back.
I have had handlebars, cranks and forks fail suddenly without warning. Fortunately the crank was the only one that failed catastrophically but even that one nearly killed me. The handlebar just folded over when I pulled my bike from the rack and I noticed my fork was broken when my wheeel was at a weird angle when I stopped at a traffic light.

Anyway, I am going off-topic.

OP check the fork for frame damage. If it's clear it will probably be a wonderful ride. Otherwise there are tons of excellent options for carbon forks and from what I've heard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.