Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Frame protection vinyl wraps?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 12:15 PM
lascabezas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I just bought a brand new Spacialized Roubaix. I was thinking about using a frame protector like RideWrap or Invisiframe, Do you guys have any experience with these? are these more a mountain or gravel bike thing?

regards
Old 05-04-21, 01:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
We've used 3M 8-mil tape to protect frames.

It works fine. Just make sure to apply it securely on all the edges, or the corners will lift off.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-04-21, 03:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
ISC RACERS TAPE
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-06-21, 09:31 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I bought some clear 3M auto vinyl wrap for use on bikes. I mostly used it on the track frame because I hang the chain on the seat stay when swapping gears.
Old 05-08-21, 10:19 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
DuPont Tedlar.
Old 05-08-21, 06:03 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
You really don't need to protect the frame, they are pretty hardy.

Maybe the bottom of the downtime if you're doing a significant amount of gravel riding.
Old 05-10-21, 07:04 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've always just used clear shelf liner at spots where cables or feet will rub on frame - cheap, stays on, easy to get off and replace when need be.
Old 05-10-21, 07:58 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Whatever you get, it needs to be able to do a compound bend if you want to put it on things like snaky chain stays. Few products will do that.

Originally Posted by znomit
You really don't need to protect the frame, they are pretty hardy.

Maybe the bottom of the downtime if you're doing a significant amount of gravel riding.

Oh, and cable rub is real, looks like crap, and lowers resale value.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-11-21, 02:10 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
If you don't protect the paint you can use the nicks and scratches as justification for a new bike sooner.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 05-11-21, 03:39 PM
MoAlpha
• —

See strip around head tube. There’s also a 2 cm sq patch on the far side of the top tube to protect it from that cable.

Old 05-12-21, 01:17 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
If you don't protect the paint you can use the nicks and scratches as justification for a new bike sooner.
Sandpaper is your friend. Your LBS provides this for free if you explain your predicament.

Or it's included with the park tools glueless patch kit, which are good for protecting those little spots where cable rub occurs.
https://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-12-21, 02:10 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Lizard Skins. Peel n stick.
Old 05-14-21, 05:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
I have Invisiframe on my carbon mountain bikes (it really is invisible too) but never bothered with it on a road bike. I would fit it on a gravel bike though, if I had one, as that would be the worst case scenario for getting frame chips if you did literally ride on loose gravel!
Old 06-10-21, 12:21 PM
Steezystu98

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a 2020 BMC Road Machine Three last year and thought it would look tacky with frame protection so I decided to take the risk and not protect it. Sure enough, within the first week of having it I managed to scratch it - I was grabbing a my all time favourite breakfast from a local coffee shop (Smoked Salmon, cream cheese, and red onion), I lightly leaned the bike up against the wall out front and when I got out I noticed the wind must've moved it a bit as it had a scratch in the top tube and it was leaning on a different angle then I left it. I kid you not, I was so shocked that I somehow dropped my bagel on the ground and didn't even have the appetite to go in and grab another one. With one bagel casualty and a scratched frame, I was obviously I was pretty bummed out about this and didn't want it to happen again. A friend of mine had recommended RideWrap so I ordered a covered kit to make sure this wouldn't happen. When I got the kit, I was pleased to find out that the installation process was very easy and satisfying, but it also did a really good job at hiding the scratch on the top tube. Now both the RideWrap and the scratch are barely even noticeable and I haven't had any other issues with cosmetic damage to the frame! Finally, I'm able to enjoy my bagels without worrying about dropping them or damaging my bike
Old 06-10-21, 01:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I’ll put this stuff on a drive side chain stay, and may be a little bit on the head tube to prevent cable rub. Any more than that, though, and it starts to look ridiculous, like those cars back in the 80s and 90s that would have the vinyl “bra“ on the front end – which looked way worse than a few paint chips.

Maybe a better comparison is that plastic covering that my grandparents kept on their living room sofa all the time… They wouldn’t take it off even when we visited once a year. I used to wonder: are they waiting for the queen of England to come over?
Old 06-10-21, 03:16 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I’ll put this stuff on a drive side chain stay, and may be a little bit on the head tube to prevent cable rub. Any more than that, though, and it starts to look ridiculous, like those cars back in the 80s and 90s that would have the vinyl “bra“ on the front end – which looked way worse than a few paint chips.

Maybe a better comparison is that plastic covering that my grandparents kept on their living room sofa all the time… They wouldn’t take it off even when we visited once a year. I used to wonder: are they waiting for the queen of England to come over?
I know what you mean, but the more bespoke fitted protection kits like Invisiframe are more or less invisible. A bit like paint protection film on modern cars. Actually it's the same product.
Old 06-14-21, 06:23 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Just put clear 3m film on my down tube. Soapy water is your friend when applying protective film.