Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Right proper blowout!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Right proper blowout!

Old 07-15-21, 08:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Right proper blowout!

We were doing hill repeats last night when, braking hard on a descent, I locked up the rear and *boom* it blew like gunshot. Some say it sounded like a car backfire, but you get the idea either way: it was loud.

I was nearly stopped, so no problem there, and upon inspection found found a 1.5” flap torn from tread center to nearly the bead. It wasn’t a long skid, but I figured I flat-spotted it to the threads and just yielded with a bang. Looking closer, it looks like there’s wear to the threads all around the circumference, concurrent with cracking of the tread right along the centerline. Weird…but there was heat coming off the rim, too, so I wonder if there wasn’t some swelling from overheating the aluminum rim, too. I mean, the tire didn’t have a lot of mileage, and looked to be in good condition prior to the ride; often a worn tread will look thin, revealing the casing texture underneath or looking a little bubbly or wavy, and there was none of that. I certainly would have noticed if the tread was worn through to the threads, anyway, so maybe I was on the verge of that starting the ride and just missed the signs.

Anyway, the Hutchinson Galactik was such a shredded, irreparable mess that it precipitated the “call of shame.” The mosquitoes this year are outrageous here, and I got mauled awaiting my rescue. I can’t recall ever having this type of failure in all my years, so it was something new and, I guess, interesting!

Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-15-21, 09:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Lol - and I thought that I got a little risky with runnin' my tires down to the cords. I will admit, though, that I did have one tire that did something similar - it looked okay at the start of a ride and was showing cords all the way around at the end.

The Galactik is essentially their RDO tire, isn't it? Probably not too much tread to begin with, so not surprising that you didn't get many miles out of them.
Old 07-15-21, 09:17 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Thin race tyres doesnt last long if locked up. That is one trade off with such light tyres. Then again, I once suggested riding mountains on GP 4 Seasons, for safety reasons. Response was a flood of snide remarks, as if it was the most stupid thing ever, even contemplating it .. There you go! - Watch out and Stay healthy :-)
Old 07-15-21, 09:28 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lol - and I thought that I got a little risky with runnin' my tires down to the cords. I will admit, though, that I did have one tire that did something similar - it looked okay at the start of a ride and was showing cords all the way around at the end.

The Galactik is essentially their RDO tire, isn't it? Probably not too much tread to begin with, so not surprising that you didn't get many miles out of them.
Yeah it is, I believe, so I’m not shocked or anything, just interested by the failure mode. I’ve never had a tire explode through the casing like that before. One of my clubmates said she saw it “spark” when it blew! It did leave a black blast mark on the pavement, too…how about that!!

Aside from the dramatic way it went out, it was an excellent tire…really handled well and seemed fast. I’ll probably go back to Schwalbe Pro One, though,
Old 07-15-21, 09:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Thin race tyres doesnt last long if locked up. That is one trade off with such light tyres. Then again, I once suggested riding mountains on GP 4 Seasons, for safety reasons. Response was a flood of snide remarks, as if it was the most stupid thing ever, even contemplating it .. There you go! - Watch out and Stay healthy :-)
Worth considering, but I’m in SE Michigan, so small hills, but no mountains. It was probably my corpulent 250lbs that put the real hurt on that little tire!
Old 07-15-21, 10:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Did you check to see if your rotation arrow was going the correct way when you installed the tire?

Though I don't really think it matters one bit. Although they are hard to make out in the pic, it just seemed to me that the pattern on the tread is in the wrong direction.

I've had tires blow out too, but mine were old and you could almost see the air inside. Although I did have a fairly new tire get a very small sidewall cut and the tube pushed out through the cut and made a noise like a 22 caliper pistol going off...... or did someone with a 22 caliper pistol shoot my tire?
Old 07-15-21, 10:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I was not shocked when you said Hutchinson.

I have been using their Fusion 5 tires on a couple bikes with bad results. I have had the bead separate from the body on a couple, and another has developed weird wear marks as if the rubber compound was badly mixed and some of it was too soft.

This tire has not been abused, and pretty obviously I didn't lock it up to create those wear patterns .... I would have been skidding through a pretty horrendous low-side, and those moments tend to be memorable.

I think Hutchinson built a bad batch of tires, maybe? Sticking with Contis or something else from now on, I guess,.. Too bad---I really liked the Hutchinsons while they were holding air.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-15-21, 10:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Tread direction looks right to me. Remember, it's a rear tire.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-15-21, 10:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Maelochs Whoa!
Old 07-15-21, 11:22 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I was just getting home from the last ride on this thin GPsomething when I thought it might be a good idea to lock up the rear and see what happens. It blew almost instantly and then I realized you fool you just ruined a good tube.
Old 07-15-21, 12:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Tread direction looks right to me. Remember, it's a rear tire.
Oh....

Your are right. I should have put my glasses on so I could see the blurry part a little less blurry. <grin>
Old 07-15-21, 03:55 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
@chaadster: Phwoar!

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Dude, wuut?! That's gotta be in the top five of the weirdest things I've seen go wrong with a bike.

BTW, just discovered something neat - I just @ed "OP", and the board did the rest.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-15-21, 05:19 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Galactik is essentially their RDO tire, isn't it?
Does "RDO" mean "Race Day Only"?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-15-21, 05:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Does "RDO" mean "Race Day Only"?
Yup.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-15-21, 05:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by thermionicscott
does "rdo" mean "race day only"?
yiid
Old 07-16-21, 07:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Anybody consider not locking up the rear wheel? Or if you manage a chirp, let it go very quickly.
Old 07-16-21, 07:52 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I was not shocked when you said Hutchinson.

I have been using their Fusion 5 tires on a couple bikes with bad results. I have had the bead separate from the body on a couple, and another has developed weird wear marks as if the rubber compound was badly mixed and some of it was too soft.

This tire has not been abused, and pretty obviously I didn't lock it up to create those wear patterns .... I would have been skidding through a pretty horrendous low-side, and those moments tend to be memorable.

I think Hutchinson built a bad batch of tires, maybe? Sticking with Contis or something else from now on, I guess,.. Too bad---I really liked the Hutchinsons while they were holding air.

That looks horrible. Is it rubbing somewhere?
Old 07-16-21, 07:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Anyway, the Hutchinson Galactik was such a shredded, irreparable mess that it precipitated the “call of shame.” The mosquitoes this year are outrageous here, and I got mauled awaiting my rescue. I can’t recall ever having this type of failure in all my years, so it was something new and, I guess, interesting!
Ahhh... that doesn't look too bad.

Quick boot and you're back on the road.

Gator Hardshell, mounted previous day new. 70 miles or so into the ride. Bead blown off.

Booted, removed brake pads, and limped an additional 20 miles to the nearest bike shop, picking up anything that appeared useful along the side of the road.