Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

down tube shifters question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-30-22, 05:31 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I have a modern gravel bike with a 10-speed rear. I run it single speed a lot and so I like quick changeovers without messing with bar tape. It has brased on down tube bosses which can accept down tube shifters. Currently it's in 1x10 format and I'm using a vintage Shimano down tube friction shifter to shift my mountain bike clutch rear derailleur. It works rather well. But it takes a little over 180° of travel to run the range. I have seen that Velo Orange has a down tube shifter with an oversized barrel and micro clicks just for this application. They are also backordered right now. I thought it might be worth asking is there any vintage downtube shifters out there that naturally have a bigger barrel that will pull more cable travel? I'd be willing to do some eBay shopping if so.
Old 01-30-22, 05:58 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
I've seen accounts of creating a larger shifter barrel but haven't tried it myself. Just need to build up the track the cable runs along in some way or another.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-30-22, 06:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
On most if not all Shimano derailers, one can relocate the cable to the other side of the pinch bolt, thus shortening the effective arm length and thus increase the derailer's travel in response to any given cable movement.

I do this whenever I pair a Shimano rear derailer with vintage friction levers, and it really speeds up the response.
Likes For dddd:
Old 01-30-22, 06:24 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by dddd
On most if not all Shimano derailers, one can relocate the cable to the other side of the pinch bolt, thus shortening the effective arm length and thus increase the derailer's travel in response to any given cable movement.

I do this whenever I pair a Shimano rear derailer with vintage friction levers, and it really speeds up the response.
Can you elaborate? I can't envision what you're even trying to say
Old 01-30-22, 09:36 PM
trucklet
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
Can you elaborate? I can't envision what you're even trying to say
If you look at your rear derailleur, the pinch bolt attaches the derailleur cable to the derailleur itself, and that wire is pinched above or below the bolt's shaft. If you flip-flop the cable's pinched position (if it normally runs under, run cable over, vise-versa), that can change how far the derailleur moves in relation to the lever throw, for better or worse. You really don't know unless you try it though.
Likes For trucklet:
Old 01-30-22, 10:43 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Microshift 10-speed DT shifters?
Sunrace may make some 10’s, their new 9’s are nice.
7800/7900 DT shifters.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 01-31-22, 06:28 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by trucklet
If you look at your rear derailleur, the pinch bolt attaches the derailleur cable to the derailleur itself, and that wire is pinched above or below the bolt's shaft. If you flip-flop the cable's pinched position (if it normally runs under, run cable over, vise-versa), that can change how far the derailleur moves in relation to the lever throw, for better or worse. You really don't know unless you try it though.
Understood thanks.
Likes For trail_monkey:
Old 01-31-22, 08:07 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by trucklet
Great idea. I think there's a bit on Sheldon's site about this type of thing as well.