Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 09:18 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Try this:
This post should have ended this thread.................
Likes For frogman:
Old 02-19-22, 09:23 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
This post should have ended this thread.................

I just noticed this thread was still going on. Holy crap I thought to myself this has to be a new low for some. They were clearly riding properly....Lock this bad boy and move on.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-19-22, 09:25 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I was kinda surprised this thread was still going.
Old 02-19-22, 09:27 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by making
RIGHT!!

2 weeks and over 150 posts..insane. Legit threads don't get this much action.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-19-22, 10:40 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by making
Ironically, it's posts like this that keep these threads alive.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-20-22, 06:56 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Nothing should be being built out there - not housing,

We need to concentrate the development of housing in the denser, walkable areas.
No thank you. Nothing sounds more miserable to me than being jam packed into densely populated housing areas.
Old 02-20-22, 09:28 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
No thank you. Nothing sounds more miserable to me than being jam packed into densely populated housing areas.
Right, it works for some but I'm not one for crowds. Being a garbage man, I sure didn't want to live where I worked, lol.
Old 02-20-22, 10:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
RIGHT!!

2 weeks and over 150 posts..insane. Legit threads don't get this much action.
This is a legit thread. It addresses what is right and wrong, about where you can ride. Way too many people are misinformed about this subject.
Old 02-20-22, 10:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Right, it works for some but I'm not one for crowds. Being a garbage man, I sure didn't want to live where I worked, lol.
Since a few posters have segued this thread into P&R land might as well close it out with another look back at those good old days of dense housing, close by shopping and working at home. It wasn't all wine and roses in trendy renovated/gentrified single family brownstone neighborhoods as fondly "remembered" by some A&S urban planner wannabes.

Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 02-20-22, 11:07 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Since a few posters have segued this thread into P&R land might as well close it out with another look back at those good old days of dense housing, close by shopping and working at home.
If that's your mental picture of living in a walkable environment, no wonder you wouldn't want to.

But think about your classic small lot "in town" neighborhood; think of townhouse type condos - these are walkably dense housing themselves, the problem is that when they get newly built in previously undeveloped land they're too far from anything, which no matter how innovative their own design, makes them fundamentally car-dependent.

When people in the US think of density, a lot of the negatives they think of aren't the actual density, but expressions of economic desperation that tend to be concentrated in an area's least expensive housing. The same density, marketed as upscale housing, is a completely different experience.

Last edited by UniChris; 02-20-22 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-20-22, 01:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

That's not really the issue. The big issue is zoning laws that artificially discourage density. If you want to keep your big lot, you can. You shouldn't be allowed to prevent your neighbor from making other choices. We can talk around this all day, but we're living with housing patterns enforced by many decades of laws that enable keeping the riffraff out.
Old 02-20-22, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Since a few posters have segued this thread into P&R land might as well close it out with another look back at those good old days of dense housing, close by shopping and working at home. It wasn't all wine and roses in trendy renovated/gentrified single family brownstone neighborhoods as fondly "remembered" by some A&S urban planner wannabes.

So you don't think there's anything between that and today's sprawling BosWash megalopolis?

I'm pretty sure those photos of the Lower East Side are even prior to the expansion of the city that the subways allowed.
Old 02-20-22, 02:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

When people in the US think of density, a lot of the negatives they think of aren't the actual density, but expressions of economic desperation that tend to be concentrated in an area's least expensive housing. The same density, marketed as upscale housing, is a completely different experience.
Boosters for high density upscale (i.e "gentrified") older housing and/or expensive new garden plot size townhouses also ignore that this housing seldom attracts families with school age children or anyone who may be interested in that in the future. Or people who will remain in urban upscale housing when their children reach school age if they can afford to move to a more suitable location. Presumably quality of schools and/or school districts and recreation opportunities for children, let alone the lifestyle of urban neighbors are no longer a consideration in the home buying advice about location, location, location.

The manifest social problems of contemporary U.S. urban housing and concurrent demographic shifts will not be solved by ranting about "car culture." Nor by by making references to living conditions and bike lanes in Amsterdam or Copenhagen.
Old 02-20-22, 03:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
We can talk around this all day, but we're living with housing patterns enforced by many decades of laws that enable keeping the riffraff out.
it just slows the inevitable, doesn't keep it out. The mind wonders how America would be if such law/ordinance manipulation didn't happen as [likely] often as it does.
I would expect the "move" to the burbs might just be hindered by an artificially inflated & reformed property tax structure to limit affordability.
Old 02-20-22, 04:09 PM
UniChris

Boosters for high density upscale (i.e "gentrified") older housing and/or expensive new garden plot size townhouses also ignore that this housing seldom attracts families with school age children or anyone who may be interested in that in the future. Or people who will remain in urban upscale housing when their children reach school age if they can afford to move to a more suitable location. Presumably quality of schools and/or school districts and recreation opportunities for children, let alone the lifestyle of urban neighbors are no longer a consideration in the home buying advice about location, location, location.
You're making two huge oversights.

First, you're extending from troubled cities to all dense sectors of all cities. A lot of the actual appeal of walkable areas is precisely what they offer for families with children.

Next, you're equating "walkable" and "dense" only with "urban" and "city" rather than also the denser parts of what most people would refer to as a "town" (even if in some cases technically its government calls it a city).

Last edited by UniChris; 02-20-22 at 04:32 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 02-20-22, 04:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Troul
it just slows the inevitable, doesn't keep it out. The mind wonders how America would be if such law/ordinance manipulation didn't happen as [likely] often as it does.
I would expect the "move" to the burbs might just be hindered by an artificially inflated & reformed property tax structure to limit affordability.
It doesn't just happen, it's all-pervasive.
It's basic things like zoning minimum lot size and banning multiple units. Local control is ideal for "I got mine" interest group NIMBY stuff. Really way too involved of a subject for this forum, but it really shapes neighborhoods, suburbs, cities and the entire residential real estate market.
Old 02-20-22, 05:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You're making two huge oversights.

First, you're extending from troubled cities to all dense sectors of all cities. A lot of the actual appeal of walkable areas is precisely what they offer for families with children.

Next, you're equating "walkable" and "dense" only with "urban" and "city" rather than also the denser parts of what most people would refer to as a "town" (even if in some cases technically its government calls it a city).
Got many examples of some dense sectors of any significant size or population of towns (with numerous "townhouses" and/or multi-family housing units or the equivalent) that have a history of appealing to families with school age children and having the means to make a choice?

I'd be especially surprised if many ( or any) examples can be found in the U.S. that is not associated with a large university campus enclave, especially since as you have already posted in this thread, the walkability opportunities to much shopping nearby appears to be extremely limited.
Old 02-20-22, 05:55 PM
UniChris

Got many examples of some dense sectors of any significant size or population of towns (with numerous "townhouses" and/or multi-family housing units or the equivalent) that have a history of appealing to families with school age children and having the means to make a choice?
That you even has to ask demonstrates you've never really thought about this, but just assumed it doesn't exist.

Try for example, the central traditional neighborhoods of pretty much any town. The decent condo complexes that many middle class families call home. Huge swaths of Brooklyn.

These things really aren't unique - you've probably passed through many of them - you've seen the families and kids - you're just not used to thinking of those housing areas for what they are.

And BTW density can mean multifamily but it does not always - that's your assumption alone. I specifically mentioned both small lots and townhouses.

Last edited by UniChris; 02-20-22 at 10:07 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 02-21-22, 06:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Do you ever get out of Iowa? What a silly question.
Old 02-21-22, 07:45 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

I'd be especially surprised if many ( or any) examples can be found in the U.S. that is not associated with a large university campus enclave, especially since as you have already posted in this thread, the walkability opportunities to much shopping nearby appears to be extremely limited.
Yeah... in Europe.
Old 02-21-22, 07:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
Yeah... in Europe.
Note: Europe is not in the U.S.
Old 02-21-22, 08:03 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Exactly. Maybe we need to change a few things. How'd you like a real "Autobahn" here? How about real baguettes. Maybe some local markets beyond a 7-11 near some nicely designed housing? Maybe some local roads that are not trying to be highways. Oh and public transit... real, effective public transit.
Likes For genec:
Old 02-21-22, 08:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Arlington, VA is. Actually, so are many such cities in VA.

A massive number of inner-ring suburbs in major metropolitan areas throughout the country which are densely populated. A lot of those are functionally neighborhoods of the major city with boundary lines drawn to separate their school systems and zoning.

They don't look anything like the Lower East Side circa 1900.
Old 02-21-22, 08:22 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Arlington, VA is. Actually, so are many such cities in VA.

A massive number of inner-ring suburbs in major metropolitan areas throughout the country which are densely populated. A lot of those are functionally neighborhoods of the major city with boundary lines drawn to separate their school systems and zoning.

They don't look anything like the Lower East Side circa 1900.
Presumably the residents don't look much like the current residents of the "separate" inner major cities that they surround.
Old 02-21-22, 08:36 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by genec
Exactly. Maybe we need to change a few things. How'd you like a real "Autobahn" here? How about real baguettes. Maybe some local markets beyond a 7-11 near some nicely designed housing? Maybe some local roads that are not trying to be highways. Oh and public transit... real, effective public transit.
this would be amazing wouldn't it.....wouldn't mind retiring to this some day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.