Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Doing Push-Ups = More Aero

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Do You Work-Out Off the Bike to Stay Aero On the Bike?
No, I just ride to stay fast and aero.
34.78%
Yes, I work-out regularly off the bike to stay fast and aero.
52.17%
I should work-out off the bike, but haven't started yet :-/
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Doing Push-Ups = More Aero

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-22, 08:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I do find it odd that top cyclists look like they don't have a single muscle on their entire bodies, yet they are crazy-fast. Must be the whole "slow twitch" vs "fast twitch" muscle type thing? Then again, sprinters look like they have muscles.
Upper body muscle mass will only slow down a cyclist, since it is unhelpful and is extra weight and wind resistance. And pedaling a bike is an aerobic activity and does not benefit much from large muscles. (Exception: track cyclists who do standing starts, and maybe top sprinters on the road.)
Old 03-20-22, 08:28 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Modern "steep" seat tube angles, slammed stems, and saddles pushed forwards has moved the center of gravity (CoG). If the core can't handle the CoG, the arms take the brunt. It is that simple. Changing to shorter cranks only helps with the hip flexor issue many of us have.

Or, one can ride seat tube angles from Eddy's era.
Old 03-20-22, 09:04 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I agree with the OP: pushups are a good thing. Pushups and a long plank, both. All it takes is 20 pushups every morning. That's not going to make you look like a body builder, especially if your BMI is 19. Good grief. I think a disagreement could arise between those who usually ride for differing numbers of hours. The more continuous hours we spend out there trying to hold a low position, the more obvious it gets. I see riders shaking out their arms on every long group ride and I see riders pulling from the high hoods position all the time, just because they can't hold the low hoods or stay in the drops for very long..

The reason that the low hoods position is faster than the drops is that the forearms are not exposed to the wind. Cylinders are a very high drag shape. Obviously deep in the drops with horizontal forearms is faster yet, but not many people can pedal for long periods at high output in that position. It's good for coasting though, especially if you pull your elbows under your belly, get those arms out of the wind..
Old 03-20-22, 09:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
On fit: I used to have enough reach that my elbows were in front of my knees in the low positions. My fitter decided that my hip angle was too small and my upper arm/torso angle was too large, so he pulled my hands back 3 cm and sat me up more. I don't think that has been helpful.
Old 03-20-22, 02:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Strength doesn't always mean bulging muscles.

I have skinny little arms. But I could pick up more than many of my friends and the people I use to work with. Especially some of the younger guys that actually did bulk up from when I first met them. How they bulked up, I don't know, but it must not have been from time using the weights.

Since hitting 60, retired for the most part I noticed that I need to exercise arms and upper body and waist. I'm not doing exercises that I think is going to add muscle mass. So I don't have to worry about these bulging upper arm and body muscles that some think are going to make me less aero and heavier.
Old 03-20-22, 09:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, it's the fact that road cycling is a primarily an aerobic sport, the upper body muscles aren't the primary drivers and that, other than the core, they're also not heavily relied upon for position.
​​​​​​I just tell people "the heart is a muscle" when this comes up offline.
Old 03-21-22, 06:21 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Since you should not be supporting your weight with your arms and chest, I’m not sure how those workouts help you to stay aero. I think working on core strength and flexibility is much more important for maintaining your on-the-bike position.
Well, pushups IS a core exercise. Yes, pushups develop chest, shoulder, triceps etc. as well, but the exercise is basically planks with the up-and-down motion thrown in.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 03-21-22, 03:33 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
For actual functional bike core workouts, the two best IMO are bird-dogs and mcgill crunches.

https://youtu.be/xFwnmNyniMA

https://youtu.be/2naoyUMxE20
Old 03-21-22, 03:34 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Well, pushups IS a core exercise. Yes, pushups develop chest, shoulder, triceps etc. as well, but the exercise is basically planks with the up-and-down motion thrown in.
True, but that's not how it feels when you've got a strong core and roadie arms like me!
Old 03-22-22, 07:38 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
FWIW - years ago I focused on push-ups, but it wasn't the benefit I needed for getting low on the bars on long endurance rides ... and I still have the chest of an underweight 12 year old boy. In addition to a quality bike fit, core strength has done the trick for me. Going back the DAMn Fools video posted earlier (post 3 ref time 15:15), I've learned to focus on dynamic planking. Static planks are good, but remember, cycling is dynamic so mix up the planking.

Edit/afterthought: another thing that has helped a ton with my endurance riding - Pilates!

This picture is from the 2021 Freedhem 76, this is my favorite position on the bars ... and I'm certain this lower body position helped me be the fastest fatbike on the day.

photo credit: Markman Outdoor Photography

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-22-22 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-22-22, 10:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
A drop-bar fattie looks like good, dumb fun.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-22-22, 11:30 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
A drop-bar fattie looks like good, dumb fun.
^^^ the prefect description of that bike!
Old 03-23-22, 04:57 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
I don't do any off-bike core work outs, no arm workouts but I can ride low all day.

Arm workouts and stronger arm will not unload the hands and unloading the hands is more important than trying to hold a low aero position. The hands should be unloaded as much as possible or you'll develop hand nerve issues.

If you need to unload your hands in any riding position, your ONLY means to solve the situation is bike fit, core workout, and your riding posture.

The only way I work out my core muscle on the bike is doing low cadence, high resistance intervals like climbing on high gears.