Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

are disc brakes overkill for folders with small wheels?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 05-13-22, 12:04 AM
totalnewbie

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 2 AXS, Tern Verge D9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

I have heard that with the power of disc brakes, they are an overkill for folders with smaller wheels (16"/20" etc) anyone with practical experience? If rim brakes are more than sufficient for folders in dry condition, what about wet condition?
Likes For totalnewbie:
Old 05-13-22, 02:45 AM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Some say so, but from my point of view, in the end, braking is all about momentum and grip.
If you can handle disc brakes well on your "bigger wheel" bikes, then I don't see any infeasibility to put them on a smaller bike.
Old 05-13-22, 06:55 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
There are several advantages to disc brakes over traditional rim brakes. For one they concentrate the braking forces at the axle so stability is improved. Additionally, they work well in all weather conditions. They don’t care if the discs are wet or dry. They also require less maintenance because they tend not to come out of adjustment as easily as rim brakes do.

Last edited by Pinigis; 05-13-22 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 07:15 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
There are several advantages to disc brakes over traditional rim brakes. For one they concentrate the braking forces at the axle so stability is improved. Additionally, they work well in all weather conditions
Please explain this to me. Why does concentrating braking forces at the axel improve stability?
Old 05-13-22, 07:51 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Brakes, who needs them, they only slow you down.
I've been riding my 20" Sundeal mechanical disc brake folding bike for over 3 years.
The rotors are 140mm, calipers are cheap, cable actuated, brake pads are generic, not grabby.
They offer plenty of braking force for my commute riding in NYC metro, among motor vehicle traffic.
Few times that I have locked up the rear wheel due to slippery surfaces in winter time, snow or ice accumulation.
Beyond that, with 20 x 1.5 tires, they seem to work fine for me, less adjustment to the brakes when the wheels are out of true.
Hydraulic brakes, however, IMO they are overkill for smaller wheels.

Last edited by cat0020; 05-13-22 at 09:07 AM.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 05-13-22, 08:16 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Please explain this to me. Why does concentrating braking forces at the axel improve stability?
From Orbeca, "Because of their safety, effectiveness, power, modulation, maintenance, ride, comfort, confidence and once again, safety, the disc brake system far exceeds the traditional rim brake system."

From ericsbikeshop.com, "Disc brakes, on the other hand, apply pressure to a rotor at the center of the wheel at the hub. This brings about three primary riding advantages. Most importantly, disc brakes give you better braking control versus rim brakes. They allow you to stop more quickly, accurately, with control, and at the speed you want in a variety of conditions."

From CyclingWeekly, "
The advantages of disc brakes, with their improved control and reliability show the system certainly has its appeals."

Maybe stability wasn't the best word, control may be better.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 05-13-22, 09:49 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Hydraulic brakes, however, IMO they are overkill for smaller wheels.
This is a fact. Disc brakes are perfect for a small wheel bike. Hydraulic though, NOPE!

From Orbeca, "Because of their safety, effectiveness, power, modulation, maintenance, ride, comfort, confidence and once again, safety, the disc brake system far exceeds the traditional rim brake system."

From ericsbikeshop.com, "Disc brakes, on the other hand, apply pressure to a rotor at the center of the wheel at the hub. This brings about three primary riding advantages. Most importantly, disc brakes give you better braking control versus rim brakes. They allow you to stop more quickly, accurately, with control, and at the speed you want in a variety of conditions."

From CyclingWeekly, "
The advantages of disc brakes, with their improved control and reliability show the system certainly has its appeals."

I don't know why some people always argue against a small wheeled bike with disc brakes. They're so much easier for me to adjust than v/caliper/etc brakes. And never an issue in the rain
Old 05-13-22, 10:09 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

From CyclingWeekly, "

I agree that overall disks brakes are better and would not argue otherwise, the fact that they concentrate the force nearer the axle is one of their few negatives.
Old 05-13-22, 11:14 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
All that being said, I've not had much luck trying to finesse my bikes that do have disc brakes so that the rotor doesn't rub, is centered, etc. l prefer rim brakes overall because they seem simpler and cheaper to me, and I had no end to trouble once when i accidentally bent a rotor. I've also heard that packing a disc brake bike is fussy and more challenging if you have to remove the tires for packing.

Any great guides on adjusting disc brakes? I've look up a variety of videos, online tutorials, and even had a bike shop mechanic give me some tips, but my results have been mixed at best.
Old 05-13-22, 11:52 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I agree that overall disks brakes are better and would not argue otherwise, the fact that they concentrate the force nearer the axle is one of their few negatives.
How is this a negative?
Old 05-13-22, 11:54 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Ozonation
All that being said, I've not had much luck trying to finesse my bikes that do have disc brakes so that the rotor doesn't rub, is centered, etc. l prefer rim brakes overall because they seem simpler and cheaper to me, and I had no end to trouble once when i accidentally bent a rotor. I've also heard that packing a disc brake bike is fussy and more challenging if you have to remove the tires for packing.

Any great guides on adjusting disc brakes? I've look up a variety of videos, online tutorials, and even had a bike shop mechanic give me some tips, but my results have been mixed at best.
I will agree that packing a bike with disc brakes (assuming that you must remove the wheels to pack) is more difficult because you have to be more careful with the positioning of the wheels. But, I have traveled many times with my Origami Dragon in a suitcase with no issues.
Old 05-13-22, 11:58 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Ozonation

After you have adjusted a few hundred of them, it gets easier. It really depends upon the brakes. Hydraulic discs, and mechanical ones where both pads move, are super easy to adjust.

The more common mechanical disc calipers, where only one pad moves, take longer. With these, I turn the inside pad until it is touching the rotor and I have a small gap at the outside pad, then tighten the caliper in place. Then turn the inside pad out to create a gap and you are done.
Old 05-13-22, 12:22 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
They may not be overkill for folding bicycles, but they are stupid. The problem with disc brakes on folding bicycles is that folding bicycles are usually OEMed as cheaply as possible, which currently amounts to badly-implemented disc brakes. Until folding bicycle frames/forks start being designed with thru-axles, I will ignore any that offer disc brakes. V-brakes stop just as well in dry conditions and are way more trouble-free than quick-release-based disc brakes. After you own a bicycle with thru-axles, the problem that's inherent to QR-disc can't be more obvious.
Old 05-13-22, 01:09 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
After you have adjusted a few hundred of them, it gets easier. It really depends upon the brakes. Hydraulic discs, and mechanical ones where both pads move, are super easy to adjust.

The more common mechanical disc calipers, where only one pad moves, take longer. With these, I turn the inside pad until it is touching the rotor and I have a small gap at the outside pad, then tighten the caliper in place. Then turn the inside pad out to create a gap and you are done.
I'm pretty handy, but I have a ways to go for several hundred times! I wasn't aware that for the more common disc brakes, only one pad moves. I assumed both moved. I'll check that out. That understanding may help. Thanks.
Likes For Ozonation:
Old 05-13-22, 02:26 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

How is this a negative?
You have to design stiffer forks, particularly the front fork. The stiffer forks transmit more impacts and vibration. Also, you can't put the forward bend in to achieve the rake. You can still get the rake, but by putting in that bend near the end of the fork, you get some bending and more vertical compliance, i.e. transmit less shock and vibration. Jan Heine explains this better than I can.
Old 05-14-22, 06:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I built up my Lynskey (full size bike, not folder) with rim brake on front and disc on rear. Front is V brake with a Travel Agent to convert road lever cable pull to mountain bike V brakes, Koolstop Salmon pads. Rear is TRP Spyre with full length compressionless housing.

In dry conditions, I can't tell the difference between the braking power on the front and rear.

In wet conditions, the disc is much more effective than the rim brake.

The rest of my bikes all have rim brakes that I am content with.

Exception, I have a 60s vintage three speed bike that has drum brakes that I occasionally take to the grocery store. Those brakes are not very good.

If you are content with the rim brakes on your folder in the conditions that you typically ride in, keep it.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-17-22, 09:07 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
For hydraulic brakes, both pads move, and all I do to align them is (a) loosen the two mounting screws (b) squeeze brake lever to center the mechanism on the rotor, and (c) retighten the screws. There's no cable tension to set. The feel of the lever is crisp/sure, no cable slop. I have hydraulic cable brakes on my larger bikes, and really like them.

I do prefer disk brakes in general for ease of removing the wheel. My 20" Sundeal minivello has cable operated disks, but has never had a flat tire, but our 20" folders are all v-brakes.
Old 05-17-22, 10:43 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
From my own experience with rim and mechanical disc brakes.

It all depends on the use condition.
The only time I feel that disc brakes are an advantage is with long steep mountain descents.
The modulation is better and less likely to 'arm freeze' gripping the brake levers too tightly that it compromises steering.

I ride in the rain/wet and over here in the center of the Equator, it rains every day or other day, so wet riding is hard to avoid.
Never found rim brakes to be inadequate in the rain/ wet.

I find rim brakes easy to service and adjust.
Mechanical disc brakes with 2 actuating brake surfaces are still ok to adjust, but less margin of error.
Too big a pad to disc gap and brake lever feels whimpy; Too close a gap and there is chance of rub.
Hydraulic will make it worse since it 'auto' adjusts that gap, so if you end up with brake rub in the field, its a very painful process to solve it (esp. over here where it usually means being in the 35-38degC Sun with RH of 85% or more )

Being able to use many tire sizes is a big plus for disc brakes.

IMHO, I'd just buy a bike if I like it and the type of brake is a non-consideration
Old 05-18-22, 06:30 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
One advantage to disc wheels, the rim being out of true is not so much of a reason to stop riding, brakes do not rub against the rim.
You can limp home and adjust the spokes at a later time.
Old 05-18-22, 09:33 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
Hydraulic will make it worse since it 'auto' adjusts that gap, so if you end up with brake rub in the field, its a very painful process to solve it (esp. over here where it usually means being in the 35-38degC Sun with RH of 85% or more)
Sounds like if you had SRAM or AVID hydraulic disc brakes!

I had AVID Code R and AVID Code 4 piston hydraulic disc brakes with exactly that problem and even worse: when it rubs and continue to ride, the disc eventually completely block the wheel and the bike become unusable until it cools down allowing to ride a little further... until it blocks again... I read feedback of other users with other models of AVID and SRAM hydraulic disc brakes who had exactly the same problem.
Its a design error, the liquid expand when it become warmer, there must be a return path to the handle liquid reservoir but it doesn't seem to work

I never had it with Shimano (XT and Deore) and Magura (old Marta SL and current MT5).

I have disc brakes on my two Birdy, and they are surely not overkill, TRP Spyre on one (mechanical 2 piston) and Deore (hydraulic 2 piston) on the other, the hydraulic are more progressive and require much less effort on the lever for the same braking.
Old 05-18-22, 11:26 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
It's no big deal in the great scheme of things, but kudos to everyone who spelled 'disc brake' correctly!

Originally Posted by Jipe
I have disc brakes on my two Birdies...
Yep! IIRC only Birdy's lowest cost model is still fitted with rim brakes; all the other models are fitted with F/R discs. Of course, all Stridas had discs for the last 15 years or so. Disc brakes on small wheel bikes are not exactly breaking news. So long as the brake has smooth, progressive modulation, well, why not?

Fun fact: Dahon recently teased the possibility of a future Curl model with disc brakes.

Old 05-18-22, 12:50 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by tcs
Disc brakes on small wheel bikes are not exactly breaking news.
Did you mean "braking news"**********
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 05-18-22, 03:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Did you mean "braking news"**********
Disc breaks:
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-20-22, 11:38 AM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I wish my Brompton had disc brakes because I have a steep descent (~ 1/2 mile) on my commute that I am able to reach speeds up to 30mph rolling. When it's wet/damp, I'm on the brakes the entire time and the rims get quite toasty. Also, I don't like the fact that the dirt and grime is just wearing the rim/brakes when the water kicks up. I'd rather replace rotors/pads than rims.
Likes For bee-man:
Old 05-20-22, 12:20 PM
jackyharuhiko

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
My Birdy 3 is equipped with Avid disc brakes and I upgraded it to Shimano XT 2 piston hydraulic brakes recently. I find it much better when I’m descending from steep slopes, it feels much safer, and the effort to slow down or stop the bike is minimal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.