Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

sometimes cyclists don’t do our collective image any favors…

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

sometimes cyclists don’t do our collective image any favors…

Old 06-13-22, 08:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Most likley need the restroom.
Sounds like projection. Desperate times call for desperate measures?

Old 06-13-22, 08:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by freeranger
There are a-holes riding pedal powered bikes also. Quite a few on the local mup actually. Have had more than one close call when no notification given as they fly by. And have met riders on e-bikes that otherwise, due to injury, would not be riding at all. Don't think we can throw riders of a particular bike under the bus. That guy would have found a way to qualify as a jerk regardless of what he was riding.
Sure we can throw on obvious jerk under the bus. But it would be unfair to generalize to all e-bike riders. And if you try it, my wife a life long cyclist and now e-bike rider due to RA, will punch you out.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-13-22, 08:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Perhaps the person is one of those "make a statement" people. Just cut them some slack and remember to do better yourself. Every crowd will always have a fool in it.
I believe his statement is, ‘I don’t think.’ Since he is more than likely not on this board, no slack is due since his comment will go into the vapors. You are right there is a jerk in every group. I have seen road bikers do all sorts of jerky things; riding way too fast on sidewalks going the wrong way on one way streets filled with pedestrians to avoid going down a block to the other one-way, blatantly running stop signs in front of cars, blocking a lane when there was a 6’ shoulder with plenty of room and, and, and….

Old 06-13-22, 08:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by thumpism
Real cyclists who are seriously overloaded generally show more consideration when parking on the sidewalk.
‘Real cyclist’ or homeless person with a bike?

Old 06-13-22, 08:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by trailangel
There is a new group of riders... ebikers.... they don't have any manners.
Utter BS. I know several former dedicated cyclists who can no longer ride regular bikes due to R.A. Or injuries and they are just as capable and polite as any die-hard roadie.

Old 06-13-22, 08:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by honcho
At least they parked outside. I get that people don't want to let their bikes out of their sight but do they have to bring them into small stores and coffee shops? The worse indoor behavio I've witnessed was a bike brought into a restroom.
I do this all the time and ask the proprietors if it’s ok first. No one has ever cared in a restroom since they are their to do their business rather than waste their time judging. Now if the bike was a safety hazard or blocked a urinal or stall there would be a case. Besides, bikes don’t spread germs. As for stores, If a proprietor tells me ‘no’ then I thank them and go elsewhere. I had one minimart owner ask me not to bring the bike inside. He then asked me how much I paid for it. When I told him $6000, he told me I could bring it in and he wouldn’t leave it outside either. Don’t know too many people other than one man on this board who would leave a bike costing that or more unattended and unlocked. May his good fortune continue.

Last edited by rsbob; 06-13-22 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-14-22, 06:18 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Utter BS. I know several former dedicated cyclists who can no longer ride regular bikes due to R.A. Or injuries and they are just as capable and polite as any die-hard roadie.
I did not utter any BS.... I made a post with an opinion. I'm sure if you pulled the plug there would be quite a release....
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-14-22, 06:27 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i don’t have any problem with e-bikes, i own a few. but i just don’t understand how someone ride that huge thing down a crowded sidewalk, get off, and then decide to park it almost entirely PERPENDICULAR to the sidewalk!
Looks like about a 45-degree angle in the photo, but that may be a function of the camera angle. EDIT: Or did you mean perpendicular vertically? Because it is that. I don't like lying my bike on the ground either.

I am assuming the bike placement might be dictated by whatever "matter" may have been deposited on the sidewalk previously?

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 06-14-22 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-14-22, 06:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Collective we? Odd way of thinking. Like we are a tribe or something.

I see the photo differently.

The bike and child trailer is parked to allow access to the park bench, trash receptacle, and allow a full three feet of sidewalk on the rear. I don't see many other options to park a bike like that there other than to U Lock it to the parking meter as she did.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-14-22, 06:58 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Collective we? Odd way of thinking. Like we are a tribe or something.
Well, someone already mentioned "cagers". If that isn't a cringy "us vs. them" term, I don't know what is.
Old 06-14-22, 07:10 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
The funny thing is... it doesn't take any additional energy to be considerate of others. I would say it's more of a overall problem than just with bicyclists.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-14-22, 07:10 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
this guy just rolled up and parked his huge bike with trailer partially in a crowded parklet, literally blocking 3/4 the width of the sidewalk. zero consideration for the pedestrians going by. WTF?!?
You misspelled motorcyclist in your thread title.

Modern day "liquor-cycle". Pronounced liquor-sickle.
Old 06-14-22, 07:19 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
It doesn't reflect poorly on cyclists at all. There are entitled a-holes in all walks of life. Lots of cyclists are a-holes and db's, and the proportion of a-holes cyclists is probably similar to that of the general population. Why making a big stink?! Drivers park their cars straddling two spots all the time.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 06-14-22, 08:18 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I too have been guilty of a thoughtless act, a kind reminder to the person that parked this contraption should suffice. At lease he's on two wheels and not driving a cage, a win for us in my book.
Old 06-14-22, 09:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
So this is a particular genre of thread that seems to be popping up on BF constantly. Show some breach of etiquette (real or otherwise) by a cyclist, then make some vague complaint about how this makes us all look bad like there's someone out there keeping score..

Basically your complaint is he partially obstructed a sidewalk for a few minutes while he bought a slice of pizza? No idea why this is worth starting a thread about. People block a portion of the sidewalk all of the time, and it's clear people could get around the trailer. If you've ever ridden with one of those trailers, you'd know that figuring out where to lock it is a problem and that doesn't seem terribly unreasonable for a short stop..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-14-22, 09:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
The funny thing is... it doesn't take any additional energy to be considerate of others. I would say it's more of a overall problem than just with bicyclists.

I suspect it would have taken a lot of energy to have locked that rig somewhere else, and probably to little benefit of anyone.
Old 06-14-22, 11:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
i suppose i just like to assume that people who ride bikes are more aware of those around them, because we have to be to not get killed by drivers!
Wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve had to stop because a group of riders has stopped in the middle of a trail.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-14-22, 12:23 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
LOL! Thats an an example of typical E Biker behavior! Not surprised at all, sheesh!
Old 06-14-22, 02:01 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
It was the only solar powered charging station that wasn't in the shade at that time.
Old 06-14-22, 02:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Should they start a Bicycling Karen subforum?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-14-22, 02:13 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Should they start a Bicycling Karen subforum?
Hey, HEY, HEY! What about a Kevin subforum as well???
Old 06-14-22, 03:39 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
So this is a particular genre of thread that seems to be popping up on BF constantly. Show some breach of etiquette (real or otherwise) by a cyclist, then make some vague complaint about how this makes us all look bad like there's someone out there keeping score..

Basically your complaint is he partially obstructed a sidewalk for a few minutes while he bought a slice of pizza? No idea why this is worth starting a thread about. People block a portion of the sidewalk all of the time, and it's clear people could get around the trailer. If you've ever ridden with one of those trailers, you'd know that figuring out where to lock it is a problem and that doesn't seem terribly unreasonable for a short stop..
hmmm. i’m not sure when i last some someone - anyone - block this much of a busy sidewalk in a retail/tourist/pedestrian heavy area. yes, people do inconsiderate things all the time but this level of ignorance of the effect of your actions on others was new to me. try that on a busy sidewalk in manhattan or downtown san francisco, see how “unreasonable” it is! he could have gone a few doors up (where there are no parklets) and parked parallel to the curb, like all the other bikes and scooters.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-14-22, 05:29 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
‘Real cyclist’ or homeless person with a bike?
If s/he pedals it, then s/he is a real cyclist.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-14-22, 06:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

hmmm. i’m not sure when i last some someone - anyone - block this much of a busy sidewalk in a retail/tourist/pedestrian heavy area. yes, people do inconsiderate things all the time but this level of ignorance of the effect of your actions on others was new to me. try that on a busy sidewalk in manhattan or downtown san francisco, see how “unreasonable” it is! he could have gone a few doors up (where there are no parklets) and parked parallel to the curb, like all the other bikes and scooters.
I have been negotiating my way through my city's business district while more than half of the sidewalks have been blocked off for outdoor COVID-era dining. I don't think this guy using the sidewalk for a few minutes is even a molehill let alone something worth making a mountain of. The inconvenience is extremely minor, and it's not like the trip hazard the abandoned escooters were causing.

Also, I'm just tired of this ridiculous "this gives cyclists a bad name" nonsense. It's rampant Karenism and someone is posting about a thread a week making the same absurd claim.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-14-22, 10:13 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 339 Posts
. It's rampant Karenism and someone is posting about a thread a week making the same absurd claim.
It seems ironic how you accuse people of "Karenism", while you seem to be complaining the most about other members' posts
Likes For MarcusT:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.