Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Norco Bike ID SVP

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 08:36 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 212 Posts
Norco Bike ID SVP

This is the only picture I've got but the seller says it is a made in Japan Norco. A Magnum perhaps? I'm looking at the chainstay length and this doesn't appear to be a tourer.

Old 06-15-22, 01:30 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That's a really poor resolution photo.However, based on the lime green tubing decal (Mangaloy 2001?), top mount shift levers, what appears to Dia-Compe AGC calipers and aero levers, my leading candidate would be a Magnum LE, circa 1982-1984. The grand touring versions of the Magnum in the mid-1980s were the Magnum ST and Magnum GT, both of which had cantilever brakes and triple chainrings. See if you can get some better photos and the serial number.
Old 06-15-22, 03:52 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hello T-Mar, the owner claims it is a Limited Edition, so LE it is. They said they bought it in 1988, but whether that was a current year I don't know.

Here is the ad for it >>> https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1621368852

It might be a touch small for me (owner measures 22 1/4 TT and 24" ST). I could probably fit it, but a 25"/23" would be better. Only $100 though.
Old 06-15-22, 05:51 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hello T-Mar, the owner claims it is a Limited Edition, so LE it is. They said they bought it in 1988, but whether that was a current year I don't know.

Here is the ad for it >>> https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1621368852

It might be a touch small for me (owner measures 22 1/4 TT and 24" ST). I could probably fit it, but a 25"/23" would be better. Only $100 though.
Yes, LE equates to Limited Edition. I'm sticking with pre-1985. Four years seems a long time for it to hang around in a shop, so maybe they bought it used? Regardless, $100 CDN is an attractive price if it's in good mechanical condition. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get a feel for that from the poor photo. If you buy it ot go to look at it, I'd appreciate the serial number. TIA.

Edit: During this era, most Norco road models came in 21", 23" and 24-1/2" (odd large size, later bumped up to 25") but for some reason the Magnum LE was only aviailable in 22" and 24".

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-15-22 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-15-22, 08:13 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hi T-Mar, I decided to forgo buying that bike and they seemed to not want to bother wasting too much time accomodating a potential buyer because of the pricetag so no opportunity to obtain a serial#. It would be a little small, and too far to go to get and it really isn't what I could use so I'll just wait. I get antsy when a decent local big bike shows up offered for a reasonable price. I'd like to try a hybrid out. They seem to be more robust than a regular road bike and perhaps not quite as slothy to push as the usual hard tail mountain bikes normally used.
Old 06-16-22, 07:04 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hi T-Mar, I decided to forgo buying that bike and they seemed to not want to bother wasting too much time accomodating a potential buyer because of the pricetag so no opportunity to obtain a serial#. It would be a little small, and too far to go to get and it really isn't what I could use so I'll just wait. I get antsy when a decent local big bike shows up offered for a reasonable price. I'd like to try a hybrid out. They seem to be more robust than a regular road bike and perhaps not quite as slothy to push as the usual hard tail mountain bikes normally used.
Personally, I really like hybrids and use one for my commuting and errand running. I see all these cyclists who convert road bicycles to flat bars (or never ride on the drops), then try to cram in the fattest possible tyres, sometimes even going to so far as to crimp the chainstays to get more clearance. I've always thought they would better served by a hybrid.
Old 06-16-22, 07:38 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Personally, I really like hybrids and use one for my commuting and errand running. I see all these cyclists who convert road bicycles to flat bars (or never ride on the drops), then try to cram in the fattest possible tyres, sometimes even going to so far as to crimp the chainstays to get more clearance. I've always thought they would better served by a hybrid.
Good philosophy here! Hybirds have their place.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.