Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Shimano Dura-Ace Tubular Wheelset

Old 06-16-22, 10:32 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Shimano Dura-Ace Tubular Wheelset

Not sure if they are vintage or not, or what type of the material is used. Owner is asking $100 and is claiming that they can sell for $700, good flip?

Old 06-17-22, 12:49 AM
Mackers

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
7400 hubs on Mach2 CD2 rims and Rally rubber?
Hubs and skewers are nice.
I ride tubulars and I wouldn't be interested.
Old 06-17-22, 04:24 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
At $100 CAD/$76 USD, I would probably buy those if local and I had a need for them. Not worth $700 (CAD or USD) and not worth a flip though. Wheels are hard to sell and expensive to ship.
Old 06-17-22, 06:05 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I concur, it's probably a fair price, assuming the races are in good shape, but only if you would use them yourself. These were never worth anything near $700 CDN and tubular wheelsets depreciate more than wired-on wheelsets due to their far lower demand.
Old 06-17-22, 07:16 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I would always beware a seller advertising something and claiming they are actually worth 7 times the asking price. If that's the case...you finish the sentence.

I concur with the statements above. Nice wheelset, probably worth $100.00 if in good condition but that's about it.
Old 06-17-22, 10:04 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
$700 flip? Dreamland. You need to get flip pricing from your own research, rather than take information from the seller.

One possible ploy. OK, I'll resell them, and give you HALF of what I get after fees. Watch the seller squirm.

As someone who has been flipping bikes and parts for over 15 years, get knowledge first, then start buying. Stuff bought for flips needs to be incredibly cheap. Chances are, those flip purchases will NOT be from public sales forums, as the prices will not be low enough. In order to prosper flipping, you need to be able to answer this question? "How will I create additional value?" Your subject matter expertise will be part of the answer.

And FWIW, the profit on my non-bike flips continue to exceed bike flip profits. And they don't require tools, storage, and parts.

Yes, to below. One situation the seller was enamored with the wheels that were mismatched, and nothing special. So I bought it without the wheels for about half price.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-17-22 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-17-22, 10:25 AM
Frenzen

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
$700 flip? Dreamland. You need to get flip pricing from your own research, rather than take information from the seller.

One possible ploy. OK, I'll resell them, and give you HALF of what I get after fees. Watch the seller squirm.

As someone who has been flipping bikes and parts for over 15 years, get knowledge first. Then start buying. Stuff bought for flips needs to be incredibly cheap. Chances are, those flip purchases will NOT be from public sales forums, as the prices will not be low enough. In order to prosper flipping, you need to be able to answer this question? "How will I create additional value?" Your subject matter expertise will be part of the answer.
Oh yes I remember reading your post where you only wanted to buy 1 bike and got 3/4 instead because owner wanted to get rid of it, and it made it worth it! Ty for advice