Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Please Stop Being So Cheap!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-26-22, 03:52 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts

Hello,

This thread is related to the Appraisals forum but it seems appropriate to post it here since this is where most of the posters hang out. I don't meant to bash anyone, but I think as a community we are letting some folks down with a general disregard for the changing C&V bicyle market. I just want to ask members here to please at least do a little bit of research or back up claims of valuations for C&V bicycles from direct experience for the sake of the often uninitiated who are asking for our expert advice. I just had to step into a thread where a new member was asking about a Raleigh Portage that is clearly in excellent condition, and multiple members gave figures no higher than $400.

Valuation Request Raleigh Portage Tour 1986? - Bike Forums

All it takes is one quick eBay search to see that a bicycle that looks almost exactly the same as this JUST SOLD for $1,825 + shipping! And anyone who follows Raleigh Portage sales on the internet knows that is not atypical.

I've seen so many other examples such as this in the appraisal forum. We are doing a disservice to those asking for our collective wisdom on such matters by (mostly) lowballing estimates in an economy with rapid inflation and high demand for many classic bicycles. Some of these folks may be relying on our help to sell things and make ends meet or for other immediate needs and letting them think their bicycles are worth less than they are on the current market just because that's what "you would pay" is not a respectful thing to do. If you don't watch the market for a certain type (or in some cases exact model) of bicycle and don't have experience buying or selling them then you probably shouldn't provide your opinion...

Obviously, a lot of old bicycles are junk and not worth the price of putting tires and cables on them. If that's the case then it should still go without saying that a reasonable explanation of why that's so should be given to the asker based on the responder's experience with comparable bicycles.

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 06-26-22 at 04:10 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-26-22, 04:20 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I'm thinking a lot of things, maybe too many to write, maybe more than is useful. I'll just say -- was this tone really necessary?

None of the posters you cite give their opinion in an effort to disrespect. You have specific knowledge about this bike, but at least one of the posters you cite sells thousands of items, bike-related and not, and is very systematic about extracting value and making a viable business.

I'm sure your advice was welcome and helpful, but the indignation is misplaced. I'll leave it there.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-26-22, 04:25 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 113 Posts
Someone paid $1,800+ for a Portage??
Old 06-26-22, 04:27 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I'm sure your advice was welcome and helpful, but the indignation is misplaced.
Well I disagree. If I were to come into a forum and ask people for advice about how to fix a mechanical issue with my bicycle then I would consider it disrespectful if someone replied and actually did not know what they are talking about and offered unhelpful advice that led me to do something stupid. Don't reply if you don't know. The same goes for asking for someone to attach value to an object in an objective manner. If you don't have experience buying or selling or watching the market for a particular bicycle, it's easy enough not to reply. You might be costing someone hundreds of dollars because they trust your judgment.

Just because we all sit around here staring at old bicycles all the time and all have a threshold for what we're willing to pay for something doesn't make our opinion valuable in every particular case. I hardly ever respond to threads in the appraisals forum despite reading through loads of them - because in most cases they're not the type of bicycles I watch the market for and I'm not qualified!

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-26-22, 04:29 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by Vonruden
Someone paid $1,800+ for a Portage??
Right, and I heard someone else paid $10,000 to have a steel frame made by someone just because it's got some dead guy's name on it. What's your point?
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-26-22, 04:35 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
1. Most posters have no interest in selling on ebay. If they do, that opens up higher values.

2. I have access to Terapeak, which gives a full year of eBay. sales history. That $1825 sale is an outlier. Next highest was $865, then $575. That seller also sold a set of Dura Ace 7400 brake levers for $200. Meanwhile, recent sales are about $60.....

3. If I were KING, I'd change the appraisal forum name to value OPINIONS. Thats all it is, and my figures are my opinion as well. Want an appraisal? Step 1, find a vintage bike appraiser. Step 2, pay them $50 to $100 for a real appraisal. What people get here are not appraisals, they are just opinions.

4. As far as sales, I've sold over 1,000 bicycles, most locally, some ebay. I always get more $$ on ebay. Depending on the bike, I can get 2X to 3X on eBay. Its a trade off between convenience and $$. eBay sales require sellers to pack and ship, pay about 20% in fees, and then you WILL get a 1099 the following January reporting your gross proceeds to the IRS. Still despite those factors, I end up with more on eBay. And in my case, the local market is quite poor. The good news is I can find valuable stuff at attractive prices locally. The bad news I cannot resell them locally. I just bought a 1989 Stumpjumper, in outstanding condition. It had been for sale locally for over FOUR months. I've been avoiding it, but I finally succumbed. I would not post the price here as most would not believe it. I paid full asking price by the way....

4. FWIW, a very similar 1989 Stumpy just sold on ebay for $1200. Does anyone think it is worth that much?

5. The last thing you don't see on ebay is time. How long was the item for sale? Was it days, weeks, months or even years?

As found, directly from my car.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-26-22 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-26-22, 04:40 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
So many variables, location number one. Where I’m at I can get more out of a Trek 5200 than an 80’s DeRosa or Colnago.
Old 06-26-22, 04:41 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
If some one does not like the opinion, they can look elsewhere. Let the seller or buyer do their own research for value. I have not seen anyone giving an evaluation make the statement that they are an expert at evaluating anything. Evaluation is opinion, not fact. I am sure you have heard what is said about opinions and a'holes. No one is being dis-serviced and respect has nothing to do with it. Just my OPINION.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-26-22, 04:42 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
I think we have to stop thinking about bike values in absolutes. Ebay is the last point of reference I would use. This forum is a savvy group of bike geeks....hands up everyone who would pay a grand for a production Raleigh without some special pedigree? Pas de moi.

Id like $2K for my '70 Cinelli B in 8/10 condition but I don't think I'll get it. To be fair I haven't tried.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-26-22, 04:43 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by wrk101
1. Most posters have no interest in selling on ebay. If they do, that opens up higher values.

2. I have access to Terapeak, which gives a full year of sales history. That $1825 sale is an outlier. Next highest was $865, then $575. That seller also sold a set of Dura Ace 7400 brake levers for $200. Meanwhile, recent sales are about $60.....
Did you ask if they were interested in selling on eBay? Did you mention that it might be worth a lot more? I missed that part if so.

I also have access to Terapeak and you'll notice the $875 is the same bicycle as the $575 (which apparently didn't actually sell earlier in the year) and that the almost total lack of Raleigh Portages in the past year is exactly why they're so hot on the eBay market. I've been watching them for several years and numerous complete bicycles have sold for over $1,000 and as I said, I've even seen a large frameset sell for that much.

I don't think anything I wrote in my initial post here is not reasonable. If you don't know the market for a particular bicycle why would you post in a valuation thread about it?

Originally Posted by clubman
I think we have to stop thinking about bike values in absolutes. Ebay is the last point of reference I would use. This forum is a savvy group of bike geeks....hands up everyone who would pay a grand for a production Raleigh without some special pedigree? Pas de moi.
How about the first and only proper 650b touring rig produced by Raleigh that only show up in good condition on eBay 1-2 times per year during a period when classic 650b bicycles are all the rage? Not enough for you? Well, that's why the people willing to sell on eBay get the big bucks, I guess!

-Gregory
Old 06-26-22, 04:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
I think it's not about the logic, it's about the tone. We can't be strident about anything these days.
Old 06-26-22, 04:50 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by delbiker1
If some one does not like the opinion, they can look elsewhere. Let the seller or buyer do their own research for value. I have not seen anyone giving an evaluation make the statement that they are an expert at evaluating anything. Evaluation is opinion, not fact. I am sure you have heard what is said about opinions and a'holes. No one is being dis-serviced and respect has nothing to do with it. Just my OPINION.
I'm sorry, but people actually get paid to evaluate prices for all kinds of things, from real estate to automobiles to antiques. It's a profession and a proper evaluation is much more than "an opinion" when it comes down to the fact that said evaluation can affect the amount of money someone gets for something or create ripples in the market. The C&V Appraisals forum is a great place for people with little knowledge of bicycles to come and ask for advice from knowledgeable collectors and purveyors, and I for one only provide my "opinion" when I have a valid reason to make a suggestion of value that may actually translate into a real transaction for someone else. That's the respect part.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-26-22, 04:54 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by clubman
I think it's not about the logic, it's about the tone. We can't be strident about anything these days.
I'm young and dumb and want to change the world. C'est la vie!
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-26-22, 04:58 PM
Kilroy1988 

3. If I were KING, I'd change the appraisal forum name to value OPINIONS. Thats all it is, and my figures are my opinion as well. Want an appraisal? Step 1, find a vintage bike appraiser. Step 2, pay them $50 to $100 for a real appraisal. What people get here are not appraisals, they are just opinions.

4. FWIW, a very similar 1989 Stumpy just sold on ebay for $1200. Does anyone think it is worth that much?

5. The last thing you don't see on ebay is time. How long was the item for sale? Was it days, weeks, months or even years?
To address the rest of your points, sir:

3) If I were KING, I would do away with that forum completely. I suppose it is too much to expect that such a public place could ever be held to reasonable standards.

4) It probably is to someone if that's what got paid.

5) That should be something you state when you present your opinion about the value of a bicycle if you want to respect the potential buyer/seller asking for assistance. Maybe they have months or years to sell it? Maybe they need fast cash. I always attempt to address whether or not the values stated in my responses are based on the fact that one might have to wait or not to get such an amount. If they don't say so then I shouldn't assume one way or the other.

By the way, the Portage that just sold for $1,825 was listed last week.

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 06-26-22 at 05:04 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-26-22, 05:18 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
3) If I were KING, I would do away with that forum completely.
That forum was started as regular C&V forum was inundated with people asking what their old bike was worth. There were complaints all the time about how it was clogging up the C&V forum. C&V Appraisals isn't going anywhere.

Old 06-26-22, 05:21 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
This will be shut down by the mods in 3, 2, .....
Old 06-26-22, 05:22 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Yes. Considering someone paid that amount.

But many of the "valuations" in the OP's thread are what the poster would pay for the item, which is an entirely worthless opinion, let alone appraisal. If all you (not necessarily you in particular) have is a ****** opinion, keep it to yourself. Pretty much why you won't see me post in that forum.

If you do take the time to post, then don't do it half-assed. Explain FBM won't get you top dollar and patience can get you more money. On the couplethree valuations I have done, it is always a range depending selling format and how long one is willing to wait. clubman could $2K for their B if put on ebay and willing wait 6-12 months. But they could get $800 in about 8 seconds on FBM. Let the seller decide the route.
Old 06-26-22, 05:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
When you buy a house and need a mortgage, an appraisal is done. Comps are done, the market sets the value. Although there's much whinging about eBay, it's the biggest market that we can actually see the actual sales price.

Our C&V appraisal forum should be taken with a grain of salt. Bikes put up for sale here are usually at a discount from what one could get at the big auction site, but less hassle, and there's confidence that the sale will go through with no issues.
Old 06-26-22, 06:21 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Having sold off a fair amount of bikes locally the past couple of years I'm not seeing a lot of value in the old bikes anymore. Even with an itemized breakdown of all the part upgrade, miles since upgrade, etc, I maybe see 50% what I have in it.

So yeah, I'm probably going to give cheap estimate opinion if I chime in on the appraisal area. That's ever tempering it with what I'd pay which is usually too much if I want it. I don't see anyone acting in bad faith there and really, it's nothing official.

Even more modern stuff just isn't getting money. Got the second XL Super up locally for awhile now. Dang near mint, 235 miles since built, $3586 into it not counting tax, shipping, labor and yet still no real interest at $2250.

Add in the Spica that's been listed here quite awhile for a good price yet as of last week still hadn't sold. If someone tried to value a Giordana here I'd give them a cheap quote all day long despite my experience with how well they ride and are built. I don't see or get the large value numbers some post myself a lot of the time.
Old 06-26-22, 06:26 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
I didn't post in the Raleigh thread but was thinking a nice used version would be in the $250 range and maybe twice that for condition. That the market will pay more is a bonus, but like mentioned, they would have to sit on it. I guess the problem with asking in here is you have people that have ridden 100's of bikes and they consider ride quality and components before collectability.
Old 06-26-22, 06:51 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
I don’t pretend to know values in absolute terms, just what I see on EBay, and here on BF.

in fact, I don’t think there are any absolute valuations. If the right buyer is looking at the right time and you have the right bike, kismet can occur.

However, the fact that I have seen nearly identical bikes/frames go for complete different amounts on EBay is pretty telling.

i would imagine the bike in question could get $400 or $900 or $1800. Depends on the moment in time. Three completely disparate comps don’t make for a good valuation.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 06-26-22, 09:05 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Kind of like certain Bridgestone models.
the reputation exceeds the product.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-26-22, 09:31 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I always thought an internet forum was a place to post your opinion.
Old 06-27-22, 02:53 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Wow! I need to sell on eBay more if those are the prices one can achieve! What's a small eBay fee and the hassle of shipping for an extra +500% more than what I'd make off selling locally?!
Old 06-27-22, 04:27 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I was one of those that offered an opinion in the Raleigh thread. I think my opinion was on the lower end of the others, but it was based on my location and what I would want to pay. The OP of the Raleigh thread did not mention if they were in the position of buyer or seller. If they were a seller, I think their hopes would be put too high thinking they would get close to two grand for that bike as it would take some work to get it into the condition of the eBay bike the OP of this thread cited. On the flip side, as a buyer, they may be apt to spend more than necessary. I only offered my opinion as an Internet stranger for an Asian built Raleigh from the 80s based on my wants and location. Had the bike been a jewel from Italy and from a respected frame builder with high end components, I would have abstained.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.