Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Got groceries on my bike for the first time ever

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 10:01 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just moved to a new town which is flat and safe, but has more traffic congestion that I would like. So, I decided to buy a good commuter/utility bike instead of a car. My wife still has a car that I will be able to use occasionally, but I hope to rely on it as little as possible.

This morning I went to buy groceries on a bicycle for the first time, and it was a lot easier than I thought.

I could feel the weight, but I wasn't trying to go fast. Right now I only have one pannier bag (which I borrowed). So I was definitely lob-sided and I had to keep both my hands on the handlebar.

Also, I think one pannier bag is not enough. I will probably buy a pair of Ortlieb back-rollers (either plus or high vis), unless someone has a better suggestion. Even that won't be enough to buy as much as I usually buy. But, on the other hand, it is a lot easier (and fun!) to stop by the store when I don't have to worry about traffic and parking. I think one day I'll even get a cargo trailer.

Just wanted to share my story and ask for any advice from more experienced cyclists
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
d3Ag1F3VRx2alozeELFFKg.jpg (1.16 MB, 305 views)
Old 12-09-17, 01:56 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been car-free for 13 years or so. One of the best accessories I ever bought for my bike was foldable baskets for the rear. I highly recommend these!! The kind I had were black and easy to use and fold when I didn't need them extended out. You can fit a gallon of milk in them as well as a full 6 roll of toilet paper package. Look into them before you pay out for another expensive pannier.
Old 12-09-17, 05:49 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
go to the grocery store on the bike all the time. we use panniers front and rear if needed. i even sometimes take a trailer.
Old 12-09-17, 08:08 PM
WMcCready

Bikes: Surly-LHT,KM, Schwinn World,Tempo,High Sierra,Trek820,Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Raleigh Sports with rear rack & folding basket on each side. Grocery store is about 4 city blocks from home, Use it always including winter if not to cold, or to windy or snow pack. My preferred method over Car use, I still have to go during low traffic times, School on nearby corner so can't go out during start & finish of school day, & non rush hour. Travel Safe
Old 12-09-17, 08:39 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Nice work!

I've been getting groceries mostly by bike for about 18 years...for households ranging from 1 to 4 people.

My go-to luggage for the past decade has been a large messenger bag: my current one has a capacity of 40L (about the size of two regular panniers). Since I tend to ride in an "aggressive" position, a bit of creative packing makes it easy to carry delicate items (cakes, pies, bread, eggs) flat on my back without damaging them.

I got my cargo trailer in March 2014, and that has been a game-changer. I don't use it often, but it's helpful for getting larger and more cost-effective quantities of items that my household seems to use a lot of.
Old 12-10-17, 01:19 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I don't know how many people you're shopping for, but a large backpack or messenger bag will add a lot of capacity for your shopping trips.

You'll probably find that weight is less of a factor than bulk. It can be easier to haul heavy stuff like canned goods and bottles, compared to bulky stuff like toilet paper.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-10-17, 01:55 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Awesome. The first time is the hardest.

As far as the details, you may find that just using a pair of panniers does the trick for you. I did that for decades. I now have very large metal baskets on the rear of my town bike and a mid-sized front basket. I rarely find that I can't fit everything in the baskets, on top of them or on bags that are bungeed on to them. When I go in for a big shopping expedition, I've got a very large flat-bed trailer that does the trick up to about 700 pounds, which is about my physical limit as well.
Old 12-10-17, 03:19 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Croozer cargo trailer. Less shopping trips.
Old 12-10-17, 04:47 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Get a basket in front also. That will carry anything of sized easy.
Old 12-10-17, 06:26 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Been using panniers but recently got a burley travoy - so wish I had done it sooner. Roll to the store, one click disconnet the travoy and roll into store to use as shopping cart, roll out and reclick and off I go! None of the rebalancing of bags, etc. Holds a ridiculous amount of food (up to 60lbs). Cheap way to get one: sign up for REI master card and get the free $100 gift card, then wait for the 20% off members coupon. With tax mine was $117, cheaper than 2 ortlieb bags!
Old 12-10-17, 11:25 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
I have found a front basket very useful as mine comes off like a shopping basket. (Wald 3133 q-r) I’ve had a lot of weight in this and the steering becomes more difficult, so keep it to lighter items.

Wald makes all types though: https://m.waldsports.com/index.cfm/store/
I’ve been intrigued by the large flat front rack - for pizza!
Old 12-11-17, 11:30 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Most of my household shopping is done by other family members by car, but I sometimes do a bit on foot or by bike. I actually find going on foot can be easier if the store isn't too far, because you don't have to worry about parking and locking and loading and unloading and handling the bike. I have a wheeled fold-out wire basket for larger loads and a backpack and/or sturdy cotton shopping bags suffice for smaller loads. We have one partial grocery store 600m from home and a couple more 1.5-2 km away.
Old 12-12-17, 10:04 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Single Wheel Bicycle Trailer for Cargo BCT-8002 | Discount Ramps

Cheaper than a lot of panniers, and you're not limited to the 6 roll packs of toilet paper.

I still have and use front and rear panniers when appropriate, (use the rear ones pretty much every day for my laptop and any extra clothes) but for a grocery or laundry trip, the trailer is hard to beat.
Old 12-13-17, 12:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
I will probably buy a pair of Ortlieb back-rollers (either plus or high vis), unless someone has a better suggestion.
Take a look at the Ortlieb Backpackers. They are easier to get in and out of since they have "lids." No need to roll to close. I have a set for loaded touring and also use them for grocery shopping when my messenger bag won't be enough.

thetouringstore.com is a great place to get Ortliebs. The owner, Wayne, is very knowledgeable and provides service after the sale. After he requested some photos we spoke on the phone personally when I was having trouble getting my panniers to fit well on my rear rack. And when I had a warranty issue, the shipped me out a new one before receiving the old one because I had a tour coming up. I have never read anything bad about him in the Touring forum. Only comments of praise.
Old 12-13-17, 01:07 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
10sec conversions: bike>shopping cart>bike

Old 12-16-17, 03:59 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Been using panniers but recently got a burley travoy - so wish I had done it sooner. Roll to the store, one click disconnet the travoy and roll into store to use as shopping cart, roll out and reclick and off I go! None of the rebalancing of bags, etc. Holds a ridiculous amount of food (up to 60lbs). Cheap way to get one: sign up for REI master card and get the free $100 gift card, then wait for the 20% off members coupon. With tax mine was $117, cheaper than 2 ortlieb bags!
Good idea! I might do just exactly that.

I keep dreaming about buying a Burley Travoy but the supermarket is just two blocks away. I would have bought one LONG AGO if I was living half a mile from the stores.
Old 12-16-17, 04:07 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Good idea! I might do just exactly that.

I keep dreaming about buying a Burley Travoy but the supermarket is just two blocks away. I would have bought one LONG AGO if I was living half a mile from the stores.
You can use it as a hand cart if you only have to go 2 blocks and then have it available for longer trips or camping or whatever.
Old 12-17-17, 04:54 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Croozer cargo trailer. I like pulling the horizontal load - no "securing the load" on a trailer that stuff might otherwise just fall off of. You just literally lay stuff in the trailer and go.
Old 12-17-17, 07:47 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
There is an art to packing and carrying the plastic bags given out for free by stores. You can double-bag if you're concerned about them breaking, but with lighter items I don't really worry. It can be tricky to turn them in a way that keeps the contents and corners from swinging into the spokes of your front wheel, but I've learned to either hang them on the very ends of the hand grips or wrap them around my hands in a way that keeps them from hanging too low and/or turning in the wrong direction relative to the front wheel.
Old 12-17-17, 10:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
There is an art to packing and carrying the plastic bags given out for free by stores. You can double-bag if you're concerned about them breaking, but with lighter items I don't really worry. It can be tricky to turn them in a way that keeps the contents and corners from swinging into the spokes of your front wheel, but I've learned to either hang them on the very ends of the hand grips or wrap them around my hands in a way that keeps them from hanging too low and/or turning in the wrong direction relative to the front wheel.
Do you really find the destitute junkie aesthetic all that appealing?
Bicycle baskets and/or a backpack really aren't that expensive.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Basket-Wa...x7x12/31984771

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BY6UCDS/
Old 12-17-17, 11:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I used to use the panniers (home made works fine) for light stuff, bread and such that I don't want squished, and also tied a large duffel bag on the rack for more heavy duty. If needed I could strap another bag over that. Then a regular backpack for the overflow like eggs and miscellany.

Not for a while though. Being car-light instead of car-free, getting the groceries is one place where the car really is much more convenient. But it's nice to know you can do it on the bike if you need to, or just feel like it that day.
Old 12-17-17, 11:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
There is an art to packing and carrying the plastic bags given out for free by stores.
Grocery stores don't give out free plastic bags anymore. You've got to buy the plastic bags, or buy cloth bags.
Old 12-17-17, 11:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
10sec conversions: bike>shopping cart>bike

That looks handy.
Old 12-18-17, 01:48 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I hang fragile items on the bars--especially bananas and donuts.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-18-17, 05:34 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Grocery stores don't give out free plastic bags anymore. You've got to buy the plastic bags, or buy cloth bags.
Unfortunately here in the USA, in many places, they still do give out plastic bags. I carry a cloth bag. But, occaisionally, if it is raining, I ask for a plastic bag to cover the saddle.

I like a long flap saddlebag for moderate loads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.