Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Causes of Crashes and Crashing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Causes of Crashes and Crashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 12:23 AM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan

Is Farrah doing a no-handed trackstand on a road bike while wearing pumps!?
Old 12-04-05, 12:42 AM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES. And she is God...

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 12-04-05, 03:56 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crazy uncoordinated riders in crits and road races.

Loose or new asphalt on the roadway

Buldges in lycra

Not indicating directions or handing out route slips before a ride

Railroad tracks when wet!
Old 12-04-05, 04:19 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Forgot to add that I ran over a cat once. Tried to steer away from it but it still got under my front-tyre. Trying to corner over a cat doesn't do much for traction, so I crashed. As I'm laying there bleeding to death, the cat come up, takes a look at me and runs off... bastard!!!
Old 12-04-05, 10:00 AM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget wet leaves on a turn, I ended up in a 2" puddle on my side still clipped-in because of wet leaves once. By the way what happened to the Squirrel?
Old 12-05-05, 08:47 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Serendipper

...a wet patch of leaves.

Damnit. This keeps coming up every friggen other post already! No wonder you people crash so much - you don't pay attention! Has anybody mentioned that one?

NOT PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 12-19-05, 05:09 AM
reneuend
RiverCity

Bikes: Trek Pro 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding downhill on a long switchback road in a wooded area when I ran over a large stick. It rammed up between my front wheel and forks locking up instantly. I was doing 40+ mph. Luckily, I went into a side roll down an embankment while the bike tumbled down the road. The bike frame was bent beyond repair. I didn't break any bones but I was really messed up. I still don't have any feeling in my side and that was 3 months ago.

Another one is letting a loose jacket or other item get caught between your wheel and brake.
Old 12-19-05, 08:44 AM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wet paint stripes.

Wet sewer covers.

Sewer grates with big slots.

Not taking your epilepsy medicine (true!)

Needing new glasses (true!)

Not keeping your eyes up when putting your head down (me!)

Not believing the sign _really_ means "Speed limit 15".

jw
Old 12-19-05, 08:53 AM
manual_overide
Fat Guy in Bike Shorts!

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any crash I've had has involved these accursed clipless pedals and their inability to know that I want off the bike NOW, damnit!

Oh, I guess I did crash once when my bike slid out from under me when I hit a patch of black ice while cornering.
Old 12-19-05, 10:28 AM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well any law inforcemet officer will tell you that the overwhelming cause of accidents is speed in excess of drivers abillity to control vehicle relative to current road conditions. Almost every cause of crashing listed here could easily be avoided if the speed had been reduced.
Old 12-19-05, 12:33 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yup, that's exactly why there are so many more bike-crashes than car-crashes. And 75% of all traffic fatalities occur at intersections well below the speed-limit. About 3% of traffic fatalities are on the freeway where the highest speeds occur...

Last officer that pulled me over tried to write me up for a lane-change in an intersection and passing on the right. Couldn't even find it in the CVC book after 30-minutes of searching. Wrote it up as "unsafe lane-change" and "wreckless driving", both of which got tossed out of court. Yeah, any and all law-enforcement officers are omniscient gods.
Old 12-19-05, 12:48 PM
jhglaw
Lawman

Bikes: Spec. Tarmac Expert SL4

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wet concrete the consistency of oatmeal filling an unmarked trench across a road that is a designated (signed) bike path in Mission Bay Park (San Diego) where the trench is 48" wide and deep enough for the front wheel to instantly sink to the hubs.
Old 12-19-05, 12:58 PM
jhglaw
Lawman

Bikes: Spec. Tarmac Expert SL4

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your 6 year old daughter suddenly moving to her left directly in front of you and stopping while you are looking at something on the side of the road. You suddenly see her, slam on the brakes as hard as you can while you are unfortunately sitting high and forward, and catapult yourself over the bars, digging your knckles into the pavement while still gripping the bars and brake levers. If you are lucky, like I was, you just hit her back wheel with your feet as you slam into the pavement, shatter your elbow and drive your arm under your ribs and every bit of air out of your lungs. She is unharmed by my momentary stupidity.
Old 12-19-05, 01:27 PM
WD_40

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Trek 1200, Specialized Rockhopper FSR, Specialized Enduro Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Belugadave
My biggest crash was from going too fast through a sharp downhill turn, then realizing I needed to turn more, I turned the wheel rather than leaning more to make the turn. When you do that, the front wheel will just shoot out from under you. Lean baby, lean. I've seen this kind of fall happen to pro riders as well.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you should use counter-steering at high speeds, you'll have no choice but to lean.
Old 12-19-05, 01:28 PM
WD_40

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Trek 1200, Specialized Rockhopper FSR, Specialized Enduro Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lemurhouse
Chain breaks while jumping out of a trackstand. Ouch.
As a kid, I had a freewheel break on my BMX bike at the start of a sprint. I imagine we probably shared a similar type of crash.
Old 12-19-05, 01:52 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I don't see anything there about ice and snow.
+1
I was riding home last Wed eve and felt a troubling slippage in my rear wheel. I soon realized the black pavement I was on was actually black ice. I knew I could only hold my line and hope for the dry pavement to resume, but, alas, it did not and as I tried to follow the downhill slope as the road went right, I went down HARD. After I went down, I just kept sliding for at least 100 feet. A car tried to stop to help but instead just lost his traction and started sliding sideways coming toward me. I had started moving off the road and he luckily went wide by a good distance. I thanked him for trying to help, but I wanted to scream at him. The annoying part is I have studded tires at home that I have been to lazy to put on.
Old 12-19-05, 02:34 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
leaning is just counter steering in reverse. Has the same effect on the frame/fork just a much less efficient wat to do it.
Old 12-19-05, 03:05 PM
jsf252
05' GIANT TCR2

Bikes: '05 Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I admit I am new to bicycle riding, but have ridden motorcycles. I haven't heard anything about large flying insects. I've never had trouble on a bicycle, but I caught a June Bug in the throat @ about 60mph on a motorcycle one time. I thought I was going to cry!

Just a thought
Old 12-19-05, 03:12 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup. bug (or other foreign object) in the eye should be on the list.
Old 12-19-05, 03:16 PM
manual_overide
Fat Guy in Bike Shorts!

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
Well any law inforcemet officer will tell you that the overwhelming cause of accidents is speed in excess of drivers abillity to control vehicle relative to current road conditions. Almost every cause of crashing listed here could easily be avoided if the speed had been reduced.
Except for most of those clipless pedal mishaps. In that situation, speed is good as the bike will hold itself up while you fumble around getting unclipped.
Old 12-19-05, 03:31 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Bikes are actually very stable and obey the laws of physics quite well. It's the organic component on top that makes them fall and crash... In a lot of cases, the bike continues on its own afterwards in a straight line quite well...
Old 12-19-05, 03:57 PM
Summit

Bikes: Moots Compact, Orbea Orca, GT Zaskar LE, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Traffic control sign and cones along lane markers in the last mile of a road race while the large pack is coming in at 28+mph = ouch
Old 12-19-05, 04:55 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
And how fast is too fast for current road conditions?

Fast enough that you have an accident. If no one moves at all there are no accidents at all.
Old 12-19-05, 04:58 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by slvoid
Cameraman + Motorcycle + Stupid Fan

That photo is often misinterpreted, the guy on the ground is a contortionist motorcycle mechanic adjusting the left turn signal stalk, you people over-interpret everything.

Old 12-19-05, 04:59 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jose R
Is Farrah doing a no-handed trackstand on a road bike while wearing pumps!?
Is there nothing she can't do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.