Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What kind of bike would you prefer for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 07:13 PM
NJcycles

Bikes: Raleigh, Giant, Dahon etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Road bike? cross road bike? folding bike? electric folding bike? sharing bike? or other options?
Old 11-30-17, 08:16 PM
s0rce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a newfangled gravel/adventure bike (Raleigh Tamland). I'm not sure what exactly differentiates it from an endurance road bike with disc brakes, rack mounts and tire/fender clearance but it works for me and its fun to ride on the road. Hope to take it out on the trails more in the spring and maybe some light touring.
Old 11-30-17, 08:33 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Drop bar road/cx bikes.
Old 11-30-17, 08:48 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
80's road bikes
Old 11-30-17, 09:07 PM
WillAdams

Bikes: Montague Swissbike X50

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started out on my daughter's Trek mountain bike --- bought a Montague Swissbike X50 (wanted a Paratrooper), which I've pretty much gotten kitted out (various bags and tools and accessories and a Montague Rackstand) --- planning to get a Geoorbital Wheel in the spring.
Old 11-30-17, 10:09 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I had a 30 mile round trip I wanted a drop bar bike so I could maximize speed. With a shorter commute I can use a different bike and will on occasion use a mountain bike in the winter if the roads are worse condition.

One thing I want in my commuter bike is lugs for racks and fenders. My mountain bike didn't have these so I have to use fenders that aren't full coverage and I can't put a rack on it so I have to use a backpack or messenger bag which depends on the temperature and what I'm caring.

I've never been to London, but I have the impression it rains often. If you don't have much riding experience you will soon learn that without fenders you get wet from water thrown up from the road even when it isn't raining, but just from damp roads.
Old 11-30-17, 10:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We were in London this summer and I was very impressed with all the bike commuters. Serious traffic. Lots of riders on road bikes, hybrids, a few fixed gears. Not too dissimilar than American commuters.

Personally, I prefer a road bike, given that I commute on roads.
Old 11-30-17, 10:47 PM
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Technium 440, 1989 Bianchi Alante, 1991 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
A bike of traditional geometry; preferably a lugged frame with wider 700c/27" tires. 32mm minimum; 34-36mm ideally, but up to 38mm. Fenders a must.

Regards

Rod
Old 11-30-17, 10:50 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A road bike most of the time. However, if I need to drop my car off for service I throw my folding bike in the back and ride that in to the office after dropping the car off.
Old 11-30-17, 11:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Two wheels, pedals, handlebars, the works
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-01-17, 12:41 AM
MJBikes99

Bikes: Trek Domane, Dahon EEZZ, Brompton

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, a lot of people ride folding bike for commuting as we have to transfer from the subway to bus etc. Folding bikes are easy to keep in the office and very portable, that is going to make the life easier in the urban area. For myself,
I ride a Dahon EEZZ, which is a very compact and lightweight folding bike.

Last edited by MJBikes99; 12-04-17 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-01-17, 01:10 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One with ET levitating it.
Old 12-01-17, 08:30 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
like using a touring bike. can haul lots of stuff and its comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20171018_122707.jpg (225.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 12-01-17, 08:48 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
The best possible bike for commuting is the one you are comfortable riding and enjoy riding. Period.

I'd HATE commuting on a road bike. But if you like it, it's the best possible option for you.

As for what generally works for a lot of people...

Mountain bikes are great if you go cross county on your commute where you need a little extra grip from a knobby tire or do dirt hills, etc etc. But for a strictly paved ride they are heavy, not geared for speed, and the tires aren't ideal for pavement. They do give you a GREAT workout as a commuter though. So if exercise is your goal, a mountain bike can make a great commuter. If a nice fun ride is your goal, they aren't ideal.

Hybrids (rugged frame, mid width tires designed for pavement) are very popular for commuting. They are sturdy enough to hold up to the urban jungle of going off curbs and cutting through the occasional field or relatively smooth dirt path. Plus they can be loaded down with bags to carry books/a laptop/change of clothes/ whatever you need for the day. They aren't as rugged or all terrain as a mountain bike, and aren't as speedy as a road bike. But they are a good balance between the two for a mostly paved commute.

Road bikes are faster and easier to pedal, but lack off road capability. If there's a shortcut you want to take through a grassy field with a few rocks or roots, you're walking the bike. If you want to carry 30 pounds of stuff with you, you're going to feel the extra weight on the thin tires bogging you down. But if your commute is a bit of a distance, and its' a nice smoothly paved road the whole way, and all you need to bring is a change of clothes, then a road bike might be fantastic as a commuter.

It all depends on what your environment is and what you feel most comfortable riding.
Old 12-01-17, 09:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Hybrids are the best start if you haven't developed a preference yet.

I have a "cross commuter" bike which has both drop bars and rack mounts and allows larger tires. I've also given it a very wide gear range. That means I can have road bike position and yet do all the hybrid things like a trailer, a rack, a kid seat. Once my kids are all too big for a trailer or kid seat, I'll probably switch back to a road bike for on-road use. However, in a few years when my kids have outgrown that stuff, I'll probably re-evaluate.

I also sometimes take my mountain bike and a backpack. For a rare treat I take my classic road bike, it's fast and smooth.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-01-17, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
for me? a drop bar road bike

Old 12-01-17, 09:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
My commuter is (are) a touring bike.

Why? Drops to help me cut wind resistance and ride 10 miles faster than a MTB would allow. Wider tires to soften the bumps in city streets, and a bit heavier to resist flatting. Attach points for rack to hold panniers that carry lunch and clothes.
Old 12-01-17, 04:31 PM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I commuted with my road bike for quite a while. It was always dirty, and got lots of flats. Recently I bought a city bike (Breezer Beltway) with flat bars and 700x38 tires. Added an aero bar and lowered the stem and I'm really happy.
Old 12-01-17, 04:57 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by NJcycles
Road bike? cross road bike? folding bike? electric folding bike? sharing bike? or other options?
Started out on an inexpensive but good Fuji MTB; just sold it and got done building this Nishiki single speed. Will let you know how the single speed works out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nishiki12.jpg (103.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 12-01-17, 05:32 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I use an old road bike in the spring/summer and an old MTB in the fall/winter.
Old 12-02-17, 12:32 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Generally, a single speed or fixed gear set up like a proper road bike (drop bars, etc.) My current one is a low-maintenance setup - no derailleur cables to fiddle with - and it can get dropped, bashed into, locked outside, and scratched with no serious problems. Being a road setup, it's comfortable on...the road...for bonus miles going to and from work or on a break!

Everything changes in the winter. If we ever get one.
Old 12-02-17, 06:08 AM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I've tried lot xs of different bikes for commuting, and I've ended up and stick with a cross bike. Find one that will accept a rear rack (and fenders in a wet climate) and you're good to go. Disc brakes are also advisable, especially if you get rain. My first cross bike didn't have disc's and I wore through the rims in about one (very wet) winter. I wouldn't go single speed unless you live somewhere flat or are a masochist. C
Old 12-02-17, 06:15 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In a world without a budget, I would have two commuter bikes

Sometimes, when I want to take it easy and enjoy a nice, slow, and relaxed commute, I would like a very sturdy relaxed geometry Dutch bike. I would ride in an upright position enjoying the nice weather, listening to the birds chirping, saying hello to everyone I pass by, and maybe even singing Zip-a-dee-doo-dah. This bike would have a front rack for my lunch and/or office stuff. It would have full mudguards, and convenient dynamo front and rear lights. Maybe I would even consider adding pedal assist.

Other times, when I'm feeling sportier or when I'm late for a meeting, I would love a cyclocross bike with dropbars and a racier geometry to push the speed. It would have 32 tires, fill mudguards and a rear rack with panniers. Hydraulic mechanical discs. No dynamo lights and definitely no pedal assist on this one, as it would kill half the fun.

Ok, if there is no budget I would also like a cargo bike for errands, a foldable bike for days when I don't feel safe parking outside or have to take the train. You know what, add a fixie and a velomobile too just to have some variety.

Ahhhh a world without a budget is a nice place
Old 12-02-17, 07:49 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I use a cross bike (Tricross) with fenders in the winter and a road bike (Tarmac) in the summer.
Old 12-02-17, 09:13 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
For me, the essence of cycling is convenience. Other than putting on a warm overcoat and stuff in the winter, there's got to be no preparation. Internal gearing, drum brakes, hub dynamo, fenders, rack, panniers, chainguard are necessities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.