Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Owners of Brooks saddles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Owners of Brooks saddles

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 07:51 PM
jsf252
05' GIANT TCR2

Bikes: '05 Giant TCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,
I've recently purchased a Giant TCR2 and I'm wanting to swap the saddle for a Brooks. Although I'm not sure which one to choose.

I'm 5'8" 150lbs and have a "small" body frame. I'm not sure if I should look into the B17 Narrow, or the standard B17. Could you give me the pro's and cons of each? The "swallow" is out of my price range. If you could give any advice on which saddle is better it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old 01-12-06, 08:20 PM
lemurhouse
carpe napum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't go with the swallow, I'd go for the brooks professional. I have a B17 special, and while it is very comfortable -- it feels like you're sitting in a hammock -- great for riding in a more upright position, but for me (and I think for others) it isn't so good for riding in a more aggressive position. The brooks pro has a flatter profile and I think is better for a more forward position. More expensive tho.

Obviously, everyone is built different and the b17 might be great for you. It is their most popular saddle. I wouldn't be afraid of the narrow. The standard is more than wide enough.

You can buy it from the place in New Orleans and get a 6-month satisfaction guarantee return deal. (Name of the dealer escapes me just now, but if you google brooks it will come up...the N.O. dealer.
Old 01-12-06, 08:21 PM
Michigan

Bikes: Trek 5200, Pedal Force Carbon Project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The B17N and Swallow are both 152mm wide, which is about standard for a racing type saddle. The B17 is 172mm. So that ought to help. Check out the info at www.wallbike.com

I'm 170 and the N fits me. I also trimmed the sides down to the shape of a swallow and it could just about pass for one except it's a little heavier and the seat is just a hair higher off the rails. I didn't need to lace it. Check out the "Butchered and Tied" article on that site.
Old 01-12-06, 08:59 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The saddle-width thing comes down mainly to how far apart your "sit bones" are (technically, ischial tubrosities on the bottom of your pelvis). If your sit bones and hips are narrower than the average guy, you'd probably be fine with the narrow or the Professional. Note that the professional also tends to take longer to break in; I think the leather is thicker.
Old 01-12-06, 10:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Is your current saddle comfortable as far as your sitbones go? If so, measure your current saddle then check the widths of the Brooks saddles. That's what I did!
Old 01-13-06, 07:15 AM
jsf252
05' GIANT TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes its "comfortable" on my sit bones, but the sensitive skin further in front is what is having a problem. I have a Fizik Aliante sport on it now, and it's a great saddle, but the nose rises and rubs like I'm straddling a belt sander. I can tip the nose down, but then I slide forward, and I'm locking my arms to keep from sliding off the saddle. And tipping it back is out of the question.
I look at the Brooks and it's flat, mainly the sitbones are touching and I dont have the saddle pressing into my crotch in the front.
I have a 30" waist, so I would say I'm smaller than the average guy, but I dont know if I'm smaller than the average cyclist (I know most of them are pretty light). I just heard that the B17 was a great saddle, and was especially good for larger/heavier riders. So I automatically thought "well how well does it do for lightweight/smaller riders?".

Thanks for all the input guys...
Josh
Old 01-13-06, 08:52 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are getting a belt sander feeling, it sounds like short problems not a saddle. A bad saddle I find gives pain or numbness. Try some cream that should also help. Shorts like saddle work for some and not others.
Old 01-13-06, 03:06 PM
jsf252
05' GIANT TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen
If you are getting a belt sander feeling, it sounds like short problems not a saddle. A bad saddle I find gives pain or numbness. Try some cream that should also help. Shorts like saddle work for some and not others.
Well I didn't mean it literally, as I dont know the "grades of soreness" yet, but I will say that the area behind my "boys" gets sore while riding, but after I'm off the bike for 10-15 minutes there's no pain. Its rubbing, but I dont think my shorts are the problem. I NEVER get numbness in any parts, and this "soreness" I have will go away when the saddle is tilted down, however my arms get tired from holding me on the saddle.

Thanks again
Josh
Old 01-13-06, 08:36 PM
dgaddes

Bikes: Trek '01 2200 (sold), '04 5 500 (sold), 2013 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B17 Titanium for me. In fact, I have two! I think they called them the B17 Special, but I'm not certain. Very comfy for me...I'm about 170 lbs.