Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rivendell seems to have changed

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rivendell seems to have changed

Old 07-26-18, 12:38 PM
Bill Gem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Curious about the Touring Store, went to the site to discover they are going out of business. Unfortunate.

In some respects Grant pioneered the whole idea (more like he reminded us) of road bikes being practical and all purpose. His concepts of wider tires, alternatives to F & R pannier touring, etc... are things that are much more common today. Trek, Specialized and others make all kinds or bikes now that kind of follow the Rivendell philosophy. REI as well is very much oriented towards this "style" and certainly Soma and Surly are decent alternatives. Grant was very instrumental in all this and I hope he can retire comfortably when he chooses and can find somebody of a similar mindset to keep the company in business.
Yes, but do Trek, Specialized, et al make any of them wit a 44”-46” wheel base?
Old 07-26-18, 04:11 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
You'd have to consider him an "old soul", so his business represents what he is.
Old 07-26-18, 04:47 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Sure, who would want a bike that's fast and responsive, when you can get one that's sluggish and unresponsive?
Mmmm, at first blush, someone carrying a loaded bike down a rough road. Which happens to be a decent portion of what they're trying to sell.
Old 07-26-18, 05:26 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Gem
I don't disagree with you, in that Rivendell bikes are fairly unique. Still, the Specialized AWOL, that company's most Rivendellesque bike, is pushing 44" in the larger sizes.

While Rivendell occupy a singular niche, to quote Jan Heine, "When Bridgestone USA closed in 1994, many mourned the loss of what they saw as the last bastion of sensible design in the quickly changing world of bicycles. They rejoiced when later that year, Bridgestone’s marketing manager Grant Petersen started Rivendell Bicycle Works. ... Everything that followed – the steel bikes from Surly, Soma, All City, etc.; the renewed popularity of handbuilt custom bicycles that since has swept the world; the comeback of classic components; even Compass Cycles – can trace its roots to the moment when Grant Petersen stood up and said: “I love steel and lugs. Why not?”"

Grant's ideas have been instrumental and have informed many of the designers producing "adventure" bikes. The tire clearance, fenders, racks, relatively low gearing and geometry of my Specialized AWOL all owe a big debt to Grant Petersen's ideas (although he would probably be able to write a compelling and well-crafted article against its disc brakes). While you're right, in that Rivendell bikes are fairly unique and no one else is making bikes just like them, I am appreciative of the fact that Grant's ideas have spread and have pollinated other minds.
Old 07-26-18, 05:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Trek and Specialized, REI as well all make tourers with 42cm, and that's reasonable enough. As well, here's a lot of folks that make bikes that function similar to a Rivendell road/sport touring bike.

My point is (and it's arguable of course) there's seemingly been more companies understanding what Grant always knew, that bikes can be functional. Just seems like there's more stuff available then I remember from 25 years ago. As example I was looking at a Trek Domane disc. Carbon, 18 lbs, has F & R mini-shocks, takes up to a 35mm tire, fender eyelets. Seems a pretty functional all round road and gravel bike, just not cheap if you get Di2, but then a Rivendell ain't cheap either and IMO a Trek seems more bang for the buck. But I never bought into the Rivendell "less tech is better" concept and love my Di2 system.
Old 07-26-18, 06:03 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I kind of see a parallel to Jones bikes in that both are different from the mainstream. Except Rivendell is "different" just because that is how bikes used to have been made. You basically buy it to be different, not to have a better bike. It is like restoring an old bike minus the work to restore.
Jones bikes on the other hand are different for the sake of being better and throw old convention over board. Jones embraces new technology and standards (29+ tires, disc brake only, modern hub spacing) where appropriate. Rivendell seems to ignore new technology... but not because the old is better, just because.

More knowledgeable people may disagree... but it seems the market has spoken.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 07-26-18, 06:27 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I kind of see a parallel to Jones bikes in that both are different from the mainstream. Except Rivendell is "different" just because that is how bikes used to have been made. You basically buy it to be different, not to have a better bike. It is like restoring an old bike minus the work to restore.
Jones bikes on the other hand are different for the sake of being better and throw old convention over board. Jones embraces new technology and standards (29+ tires, disc brake only, modern hub spacing) where appropriate. Rivendell seems to ignore new technology... but not because the old is better, just because.

More knowledgeable people may disagree... but it seems the market has spoken.
Both have roughly the same upright seating position, and Jeff Jones has similar ideas about gearing. The analogy holds up, for me at least.
Old 07-26-18, 06:43 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Both have roughly the same upright seating position, and Jeff Jones has similar ideas about gearing. The analogy holds up, for me at least.
Gearing obviously is up to the owner after buying the frame (both companies seem to focus on selling mainly frames). I assume either could get pretty high or low gearing (and most bikes could).
The geometry of the Jones bikes is very different (and modern if you believe in it being better). The Space Frame and trussfork look nothing like the "old grandpa" bikes Rivendell seems to sell. Jones bikes also seem to be very off-road capable and offer all modern technologies (large TA hub spacing, disc brake only, 29+ tire compatibility etc.)

Both jones and rivendell seem to sell what they believe is better, disregarding what the rest of the industry does. But I think Jones has a much better case to justify being different. (Full disclosure, I'm a recent Loop bar convert and believer, so I'm biased)
Old 07-26-18, 08:14 PM
PDKL45

Gearing obviously is up to the owner after buying the frame (both companies seem to focus on selling mainly frames). I assume either could get pretty high or low gearing (and most bikes could).
The geometry of the Jones bikes is very different (and modern if you believe in it being better). The Space Frame and trussfork look nothing like the "old grandpa" bikes Rivendell seems to sell. Jones bikes also seem to be very off-road capable and offer all modern technologies (large TA hub spacing, disc brake only, 29+ tire compatibility etc.)

Both jones and rivendell seem to sell what they believe is better, disregarding what the rest of the industry does. But I think Jones has a much better case to justify being different. (Full disclosure, I'm a recent Loop bar convert and believer, so I'm biased)
If you listen to Jeff Jones being interviewed or watch his videos, he is very vocal about the way in which modern road bikes are designed for sprint finishes and how his bikes are not intended for road gearing. He is offering a complete now as well (they have been available before, though), that is a 1x10 mountain style drivetrain. Grant has always stressed the desirability of lower gears, and in that, I think they're in agreement.

Rivendell bikes have never been as capable as Jones bikes on singletrack, but Grant has always called his bikes country bikes and they are certainly not intended solely for pavement, a large number of the models at least. Look at the photos of smooth singletrack riding near their headquaters; they're in hilly Californian country terrain. Grant was also one of the first to spec a production bike with flat backswept bars, the Bridgestone X0-1, and while the geometry is obviously different, Nitto Albatross and North Road bars on Rivendell bikes have roughly the same effect on rider posture as Jones bars on Jones bikes.

I have Jones bars as well, I love them and I like Jeff Jones' philosophy, but in many respects, it's the same as Grant Petersen's. They may have different solutions, but they see a common problem, one that I wholeheartedly agree with both of them about. The bike industry has been dominated by racing which has led to bikes which are unsuitable for many riders.
Old 07-26-18, 09:30 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Maybe, this seems a bit dismissive. Other people may genuinely think that long chainstays, lugs, upright positions etc are a "better bike". There are legitimate reasons to prefer such things. I get your point that some people buy a Rivendell to strike a particular pose: vaguely hippyish, nostalgic, a bit whimsical etc.

This is a good point. Peterson outright rejects things that are pretty clearly "better" for most riders: indexing, STI, clipless pedals, padded bike shorts etc. Peterson's habit of positioning his opinions as fact gets a little tiring as well.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 07-26-18, 10:00 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
disc brakes are only better than my cantilever brakes in deep snow. The average person never rides in the snow. I imagine my cantis get ridden in way worse weather and way more often than most discs.
Where I live it doesn't snow much, but we have long steep hills. Hills that are several miles long with sharp switchbacks, or ones with extended pitches over 15 percent grade. Disc brakes are an advantage, but that's another thread. And riding those 15 percent pitches with discs is just another reason to appreciate them more. I'm talking about hydraulics, not cable actuated.
Old 07-27-18, 04:59 AM
Bill Gem

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Maybe, this seems a bit dismissive. Other people may genuinely think that long chainstays, lugs, upright positions etc are a "better bike". There are legitimate reasons to prefer such things. I get your point that some people buy a Rivendell to strike a particular pose: vaguely hippyish, nostalgic, a bit whimsical etc.

This is a good point. Peterson outright rejects things that are pretty clearly "better" for most riders: indexing, STI, clipless pedals, padded bike shorts etc. Peterson's habit of positioning his opinions as fact gets a little tiring as well.
Most riders?

Regardless, his is a small, niche company that isn’t attempting to meet the needs of most riders.
Old 07-27-18, 07:37 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts

Most riders?

Regardless, his is a small, niche company that isn’t attempting to meet the needs of most riders.
Yes, I'd say that the majority of riders think indexing, STI, clipless pedals etc are all "better" solution than the alternatives for their needs. This doesn't seem like a controversial position to take. I never said that Rivendell is trying to sell to the masses. I'm not debating the relative merit of Rivendell's offerings or Peterson's ideas. My point (again) is that Peterson often positions his opinions on the above choices as fact, that gets tiresome no matter who is doing it.
Old 07-27-18, 08:35 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I dunno.
I am a year round commuter, long distance tourer and basic all around bike guy and I don't always think those things are better solutions (even though I use a mix of them for various applications). I would say most people don't even know different and are attracted to new tech for a bike they ride a handful of weekends in the summer and are completely dependent on the lbs for guidance and servicing. Most wouldn't know how to adjust indexed shifters or disc brakes and have bikes so expensive they dare not try anyway. While clipless is great for longer rides they require two shoes for local commuting etc unless you want to walk around in cleats which some places don't even allow in the door... Not everything new is better all the time.

I think Grant gets it that for a certain class of people what is needed is not a CF go fast tech advanced bike but rather a simple, dependable, reliable, understandable machine. I get that too as I regularly rebuild bikes and enjoy something I can completely strip and assemble/service myself. From an aesthetic perspective I also like the classic look.

One can suggest Riv owners are posers but from what I see on the weekend scene that also extends to a lot of new road bike owners as well - most of whom do not look remotely fit enough to need the advanced technology they are riding.
Old 07-27-18, 08:35 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
You're so right. Velo Orange and Compass don't sell pine tar soap, hatchets, Bob Dylan records or any other manner of gew gaws and bric-a-brac. Like the idiots that they are, they focus on product development for (gasp!) bicyclists.
Old 07-27-18, 08:44 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Grant may have kept the flame of utility/everyman cycling alive, but Riv’s custom offerings never really held a candle to outfits like Waterford.

And the non-custom stuff was increasingly Tektro, MKS, Merry Sales, etc., though at a steep markup. Selling those things isn’t selling what no one else is...it’s quite literally selling what EVERYONE else is, only for more. Last set of cantilevers I bought, I could have purchased from Rivendell, but I bought elsewhere at market value.
Old 07-27-18, 10:41 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
One of the best things about Rivendell is the Rivendell reader. About twelve years ago there were articles about 650B tires, and instructions on how to convert older steel framed bikes to 650B. A lot of BF members and others on the i-bob, and 650B forums have converted their old bikes. Unfortunately for Rivendell it meant the possible loss of potential sales.

Many of the products Rivendell introduced to the US, such as some Nitto bars, and long reach sidepulls, were picked up by other retailers who then undercut Rivendell.

It is too bad Petersen didn't pick up on the trend to low trail rando bikes. A low trail version of the SOMA San Marcos, which was designed by GP, would possibly have been a best seller.
Old 07-27-18, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Taking him to school!
Old 07-27-18, 11:11 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yep. When I was looking for replacement racks after someone stole my custom Robert Beckman racks and the bike they were attached to I found their Nitto Big racks on line. Had some questions and shot them an email. The responded promptly. One of my questions was about weight. They weighed both racks for me and let me know.

While he doesn't make his own stuff, Wayne (and Co.) at thetouringstore.com is the same way. When I was having some trouble getting the Ortlieb panniers I bought from him to play nice with my new racks I emailed him. he suggested that I sent him some photos and then call him, which I did. We talked for some 20 min. and he gave me some helpful advice. Then when I had a warranty issue with one of the panniers he sent me a replacement before I sent the defective one back because I was going to be starting a tour in a week.
Yeah, Wayne is another good retailer. I have spoken to him on the phone a few times, as well as email. He i a good source of information, and a good honest businessman. Love doing business with him. So sorry to see he is closing shop. I wonder if I should try to take over for him...hmmm...

Last edited by phughes; 07-27-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 11:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
So sorry to see he is closing shop.
Oh no! Just looked at his site after reading your post. I heard mention of a closing but I thought it was a temporary closure for a holiday/vacation, which I think he has done in the past. Terrible loss but wish him well.
Old 07-27-18, 01:18 PM
SilverStretch

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phamilton, I am sure onyerleft is as shocked as I am that you were able to go to Velo Orange's site and maintain an empty shopping cart - not even any sweet $22 soap!
Old 07-27-18, 01:59 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverStretch
Phamilton, I am sure onyerleft is as shocked as I am that you were able to go to Velo Orange's site and maintain an empty shopping cart - not even any sweet $22 soap!
So long as I have a Buddha quote in my sig, I feel like I should be as "empty" as possible. Suffer not for the illusion of beauty and utility their goods promise. But their stuff is pretty and bike-related, and I like things like that.
Old 07-27-18, 02:32 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Does anyone who has posted on is thread actually ride a Rivendell?
Old 07-27-18, 07:20 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by ironwood
Does anyone who has posted on is thread actually ride a Rivendell?
No way, they're insanely expensive. For the price of a Rivendell frame I can have a whole bike built from a frame, with decent specs. Plus, I want disc brakes, unthreaded steerers and freehubs on my bikes.

I read the Rivendell Reader, have read one of Grant's books and I appreciate about 50% of what he says, but I'm a new generation of retrogrouch. 1 1/8 straight steerer tubes, 9 speed drivetrains, QR hubs, an appreciation of 26", etc.

Grants ideas are interesting, but his bikes are ridiculously expensive and feature tech that is a generation too early for me.
Old 07-27-18, 07:47 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
My cycling journey has changed over time. As I got older I started to re-evaluate what I wanted out of a bike and the style of riding that I was doing. I read Grant Peterson's writings and looked at his bikes and they spoke to me. I bought a Rivendell for my wife first, then decided to take the plunge a year later. My bike has been a pleasure to ride and I have never regretted it. Yet, my cycling journey has not ended and it is time for another bike. Unfortunately, like relationships, Rivendell and I are not growing at the same pace and we seem to be moving in different directions. So, as the OP noted Rivendell has changed and it changed in a way that is not suited to what I want for my next bike. I am grateful for what I have learned while being a Rivendell customer and owner and I hope that the shop succeeds. I will continue to shop there, I just won't be buying another frame or bike from them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.