Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Two hub questions.

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Two hub questions.

Old 10-29-19, 11:36 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Two hub questions.

I want to build a twin chain bike and after about an hour of searching; I cannot find anywhere online to get a twin freewheel hub. Does anybody still make these things? Or if I can find a lht sproket; could a flip flop hub be used?

I've read that some can, some can't, that there's two different thread pitches on the fixed side. I like the look. I know extra drag and blah, blah.
Old 10-30-19, 01:20 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
There ARE two different threads on a fixie hub, one for the sprocket and one for the lockring. That’s not a problem though as the lockring thread is smaller than the sprocket thread - which is the same as a freewheel thread.
The big thing is that a LHD f/w needs a LH thread, or pedalling action will unscrew it.
One way of doing a mostly-functional double-drive bicycle would be to buy two bmx hubs, one LHD and one RHD. Disassemble, cut in half and reassemble using either an internal or an external sleeve to maintain tolerable alignment. For bonus points, use the discarded ends to make a front hub.
Likes For dabac:
Old 10-30-19, 08:32 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i have two chain bikes, but i'm not sure if it's how you mean it. i have a 3 speed adult tricycle hub in my chainline so my front sprocket goes to it, then goes from there to the back wheel. i'll link a pic from facebook here in a minute.
Old 10-30-19, 08:47 AM
Philphine

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

best pics i could find at the moment (photobucket has all my old pics hostage)
Old 10-30-19, 04:16 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by Philphine

best pics i could find at the moment (photobucket has all my old pics hostage)
First I wanna say it's a bit amusing seeing your last name and knowing you tinker with bikes. What I'm talking about is side by side, like this; https://s988.photobucket.com/user/su...F1748.jpg.html
Philwood and two other companies make or made them. I can't find any online.
Old 10-30-19, 04:32 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by dabac
There ARE two different threads on a fixie hub, one for the sprocket and one for the lockring. That’s not a problem though as the lockring thread is smaller than the sprocket thread - which is the same as a freewheel thread.
The big thing is that a LHD f/w needs a LH thread, or pedalling action will unscrew it.
One way of doing a mostly-functional double-drive bicycle would be to buy two bmx hubs, one LHD and one RHD. Disassemble, cut in half and reassemble using either an internal or an external sleeve to maintain tolerable alignment. For bonus points, use the discarded ends to make a front hub.
That's why I asked if a Left Hand Thread sprocket would work on the left side of a flip/flop hub. I don't have the means to just whip one together. If I can get tye bus company to send me a check for when my ratrod fell off the front of it, so I can fix it; the money is going towards my DB Drifter1 to make another ratrod, than the original Huffy Nel Lusso that the bus ran over.

If I can just put a lhd freewheel on a flipflop hub, my search will go a lot easier and all I'll need is to have help building a rear wheel. I already have a bmx 3pc conversion, would just need two sprockets and another driveside arm. A lhd f/w is easier to find, than a dual freewheel hub. I may need to email On Your Left cycles, since they deal with bmx bikes more than any other shop here.
Old 10-31-19, 08:29 AM
Philphine

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
First I wanna say it's a bit amusing seeing your last name and knowing you tinker with bikes. What I'm talking about is side by side, like this; https://s988.photobucket.com/user/su...F1748.jpg.html
Philwood and two other companies make or made them. I can't find any online.
i see. i'll need to look at a bike i have at home. if you came across one of those mongoose electric bmx bikes, it has a freewheel on both sides, but i can't remember if the left side uses a regular size chain. if it does, it should work. the only thing would be it's a 20" 48 spoke wheel, so if you wanted another size you'd have to built the hub in a new rim (not to mention find one).

or maybe try to find a part number for the left side sprocket and see if you can order it (maybe as a replacement from mongoose).
Old 10-31-19, 02:23 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If you want two chains for the looks, it’d be fairly simple to set up a double-sided fixie. Install fixed sprocket on the left side, using plenty of torque and red loctite. Install freewheel on the right.
Another, messier option is to deliberately cross-thread a LHD f/w ono the fixed sprocket side of an aluminium flip-flop hub.
F/h is hardened, aluminium is soft. Run a file around the threads a couple of times to take the diameter down a little first.
Old 12-26-19, 11:52 PM
burnfatburn

Bikes: Doppleganger M6 series 20 inch steel foldingbike and a Custom Minivelo Tandem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I want to build a twin chain bike and after about an hour of searching; I cannot find anywhere online to get a twin freewheel hub. Does anybody still make these things? Or if I can find a lht sproket; could a flip flop hub be used?

I've read that some can, some can't, that there's two different thread pitches on the fixed side. I like the look. I know extra drag and blah, blah.
perhaps you can use a hub for sixbolt diskbrake , you can try to forge an adapter to place a single freewheel on the left side which the diskbrake belong too. as a start you might need to use, the RIGHT side part of square tappered bottombracket lock, it's outer diameter match with inner diameter of freewheels.
Old 11-19-20, 03:53 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
Old 11-20-20, 11:33 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
Building two chains with an unknown purpose. The purpose of the chains should be clear to everyone - it is a further high speed compared to the existing one.
In all free-running variants, fixeg gear will always win
Old 11-20-20, 11:41 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
You're looking for a lhd or left hand drive hub, haven't seen one in a while but that's the term you're looking for. I can't recall on the few I've seen if the right side of the hub was opposite thread allowing for a dual chain drive or if it was just a lhd flip flop hub which would seem to make more sense. There would be some style factor in running two chains like this but otherwise a pointless device, they would have the be the same freewheel and chainring on both sides or only one is working.
Old 11-27-20, 11:30 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 84 Posts
Tandems often use hubs with regular threading on both sides. right hand threads on the right side for a standard freewheel, right hand threads on the left side for a threaded disk (old school Shimano) or drum brake (Arai) where you don't need a lock ring because the braking action just tightens up the disk more. Tandem riders don't worry about spinning the disk off when going in reverse. Many single cog freewheels can be threaded on backwards so that would work on the left, backwards so the pawls face the correct direction. I'd use some medium threadlocker. Running a double chain means the left won't be taking all the pedaling force so it's not likely to spin off. FYI, when you put a single freewheel on backwards, the slots for the removing tool will be inaccessible. And then there are the single cog freewheels that never had slots for tools.
Old 01-25-21, 02:09 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by AlistonM
why you want twin chain bike when you can ride with one
because I like the look. There was a bmx bike in the 90s that ran two chains and I like the idea.
Old 01-29-21, 05:34 AM
Alex57915

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great..
Old 01-06-22, 12:40 AM
simson
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want two chains for the looks, it’d be fairly simple to set up a double-sided fixie. Install fixed sprocket on the left side, using plenty of torque and red loctite. Install freewheel on the right.
Old 01-27-22, 05:16 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by simson
I don't want a fixie. This is for a flat tracker/ratrod build with my DB Drifter1.