Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Finished this today...

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Finished this today...

Old 08-21-21, 08:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Finished this today...

2019 GT Speed Pro, Answer Dagger, Box wheels/bar/stem/chainring, Shimano Zee crank, Shimano XT 8100 disc brake, Tioga Power Block tires. Time to hit the track!

Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-21-21, 10:58 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
That’s nice!

What is the frame material? What does it weigh? The heat sink on the caliper is cool.

That’s pretty far from what I had 23 years ago.
Old 08-22-21, 11:03 AM
Oldbikenut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
I'm an old school guy but I must say that thing looks fast, BMX has sure come a long way!! Very cool!!!
Old 08-22-21, 11:05 AM
Oldbikenut

Oh ya make sure to lower the seat all the way down, isn't that the way everyone does it these days LOL
Old 08-22-21, 04:01 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
cxwrench - nice build. What are you running for gearing?

Originally Posted by Oldbikenut
Oh ya make sure to lower the seat all the way down, isn't that the way everyone does it these days LOL
My seat is a little higher than most, as my bike older than a bunch of the kids I race against - but it hits me while pumping in several spots on our track sometimes.
Old 08-22-21, 04:45 PM
Oldbikenut

Originally Posted by Viich

My seat is a little higher than most, as my bike older than a bunch of the kids I race against - but it hits me while pumping in several spots on our track sometimes.
When I was young there was no pump tracks, we had to pedal or we weren't going anywhere. A few years back I rode on our local track and it was weird not having to pedal at all and making it around!
Old 08-22-21, 10:24 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Been over 20 years. But my BMX memory was the seat was just for putting around between heats or whatever.
No sitting down from gate drop to finish line.
Old 08-23-21, 10:33 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
That’s nice!

What is the frame material? What does it weigh? The heat sink on the caliper is cool.

That’s pretty far from what I had 23 years ago.
It's aluminum, 6061 T6. Right now it's exactly 19.5lb. The heat sink is on the pads, it's a 2 piston Shimano XT brake.
Already done

Right now it's 40/16, no idea how that's gonna work out on the track as I'm totally out of shape and only have one way to go...I hope. What are people running these days? I know the complete bike from GT comes w/ a 44t chainring but they don't say anything about the cog.
Old 08-24-21, 06:52 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Originally Posted by cxwrench
It's aluminum, 6061 T6. Right now it's exactly 19.5lb. The heat sink is on the pads, it's a 2 piston Shimano XT brake.

Already done

Right now it's 40/16, no idea how that's gonna work out on the track as I'm totally out of shape and only have one way to go...I hope. What are people running these days? I know the complete bike from GT comes w/ a 44t chainring but they don't say anything about the cog.
I run 44:16 with a 1.75 Tioga Fastr React tire. I'm thinking about swapping to a 43:16 to help my start a little. For you using the 1.95 Powerblocks, a 43:16 would be almost the same as my 44.
Likes For Viich:
Old 08-24-21, 06:53 AM
Viich
Hack

When I was young there was no pump tracks, we had to pedal or we weren't going anywhere. A few years back I rode on our local track and it was weird not having to pedal at all and making it around!
I pedal a lot, I'm just not sitting down to do it. I don't sit to sprint on my road bike either..... and the race is only 30-45 sec long, depending on the track.
Old 08-24-21, 09:01 AM
cxwrench

I run 44:16 with a 1.75 Tioga Fastr React tire. I'm thinking about swapping to a 43:16 to help my start a little. For you using the 1.95 Powerblocks, a 43:16 would be almost the same as my 44.
Thanks for the input!
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-24-21, 03:21 PM
Oldbikenut

I pedal a lot, I'm just not sitting down to do it. I don't sit to sprint on my road bike either..... and the race is only 30-45 sec long, depending on the track.
I usually get tired about 15 seconds into the race actually I think most of us BITD use to use our bikes off the track as well, it seems like things have become much more specialized over the years. I used to ride about 5 miles to the track, race and then pedal home. I do understand how having the seat lower and clip ons for the pedals would both improve things on the track, just not used to those things!
Likes For Oldbikenut:
Old 08-26-21, 06:48 AM
Viich
Hack

I usually get tired about 15 seconds into the race actually I think most of us BITD use to use our bikes off the track as well, it seems like things have become much more specialized over the years. I used to ride about 5 miles to the track, race and then pedal home. I do understand how having the seat lower and clip ons for the pedals would both improve things on the track, just not used to those things!
Yea - it's like so many things, not even just bikes - but bikes are a ridiculous example. Race BMX bikes have gotten so different from trick bikes, dirt jumpers are kind of a bastard child of a BMX and an MTB - there are about 6 major classes of MTB, and let's not get started into all the varieties of drop bar bike.
Likes For Viich:
Old 08-29-21, 01:12 PM
Oldbikenut

Yea - it's like so many things, not even just bikes - but bikes are a ridiculous example. Race BMX bikes have gotten so different from trick bikes, dirt jumpers are kind of a bastard child of a BMX and an MTB - there are about 6 major classes of MTB, and let's not get started into all the varieties of drop bar bike.
When you think about it, things really have changed through the years!!

But to the OP your bike looks awesome and like I said before so fast!!!
Likes For Oldbikenut:
Old 10-20-21, 09:31 AM
MaxRider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Looks so good! Nice work.
Likes For MaxRider:
Old 12-04-21, 05:41 PM
astrobiker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GT's are timeless. Who knows, if you keep it for 20+ years it could be a collectible!
Old 12-04-21, 10:30 PM
Js760

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by astrobiker
GT's are timeless. Who knows, if you keep it for 20+ years it could be a collectible!
was going to say the same. Prices for old and mid school GT is insane.
Old 12-05-21, 07:54 AM
Rideeasy
Oldie

Bikes: 2004 Fuji Team SL road bike; 2015 Trek DS 8.2 hybrid; 90’s Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks great! Time to have fun.