Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone else NOT have “upgrade-it is”?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone else NOT have “upgrade-it is”?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 08:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes - those with low standards.
I resemble that remark.
Old 03-27-22, 08:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
My good bikes are going to get a big change but is it an upgrade? The Open Pro and Velocity rims rolling on G+ tires are coming off and old Mavic GP4s and 330s are going on with suitable (tubular) rubber. This isn't happening overnight but I'm starting to stockpile the parts.

This is to 1) - this is the driving reason - I want to ride rubber that cannot come off the rim even if I blow a tire. I want to be able to descend and not have the "what if" going through my mind. (I've blown out a clincher and have the tire come off at 25 mph. I've also blown out tubulars at 45+. Never want to do that clincher experience again, even at just 25. Blowing a tubular at 45 was such a non-issue that I cannot remember if it was a front or rear.)

And 2) the bike of my logo photo really wants race rubber. First time I rode that bike, it was obvious, "this is a late '80s race bike except fix gear; a bike of an alternative world where the freewheel was never invented". 20,000 miles later, I still get reminded every time I ride it. But I've never given it wheels remotely the weight of even the wheels I used to train on 40 years ago.
Old 03-27-22, 11:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by DirePenguin
I was lucky enough to find a 2022 Domane SL5 in my size and don’t see any reason why I’d want to upgrade it, either.

So, are there any other riders that don’t have upgrade-itis? 😊
I don't have any $3,300 bikes. The specs don't list any pedals, so if it was mine, I'd probably add some pedals, but I realize adding pedals may be of personal choice.

Virtually everything I buy are either a used bike, or used parts and frames. I might even look at a complete (used) bike as a collection of parts. And, build it to suit. So, once I have my bike built, it is more maintenance than upgrading.
Old 03-28-22, 02:34 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I just buy the frame and build it how I want so I don't feel the need to upgrade later.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 03-28-22, 05:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,852 Times in 3,001 Posts
I only tend to upgrade by buying a new complete bike. I rarely upgrade an existing bike, although I have done occasionally in the past. Usual stuff like wheels, drivetrain, bars, etc. I have no plans to upgrade anything on my current bikes.
Old 03-28-22, 07:22 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Does not upgrade mean N+1 ?
Also, plenty of very nice used bikes for the next N
Old 03-28-22, 08:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by DirePenguin
I’m starting this thread as an alternative to the sort of threads that go: “Just got a brand new <insert brand and model>, what should I upgrade first?”

My previous bike was a 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, which I never upgraded in any way and was really happy with it. Unfortunately, it was recently destroyed when I was struck by a car.

I was lucky enough to find a 2022 Domane SL5 in my size and don’t see any reason why I’d want to upgrade it, either.

So, are there any other riders that don’t have upgrade-itis? 😊
You did upgrade though, so if you didnt feel the need to do so earlier, you definitely shouldnt feel the need now. I get it, the upgrade was due to circumstances beyond your control.

I dont have a desire to upgrade any of my road bikes, but it is largely moot because they are all 2x11sp rim brake, so upgrading the drivetrains is largely not possible moving forward. I will just stick with the 11sp mechanical Ultegra and 11sp mechanical 105 since I like how they work.
I dont consider changing out tires or tape to be upgrades. Heck, changing out a stem or bars isnt really an upgrade if it is done to improve fit.
Old 03-28-22, 11:14 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
I'm very particular and detail oriented, so any change usually means far more tinkering and dialing in than most people, and quite frankly, I don't enjoy that process whatsoever. I enjoy things the most when I'm finally done messing with them and they've proven themselves out. That said I ride a 2017 Colnago CR-S with zero plans to change for the foreseeable future, though I did upgrade the calipers to 5800 at time of purchase because the entire bike was 5800 otherwise(down to chain and cassette), and then upgraded the boat anchors to Zondas. The amount of tinkering I did with the brakes afterwards between brake lever reach and getting the calipers set just right given the reduced brake lever reach and getting them perfectly centered? Weeks. Granted, some of that was due to only after much tinkering finally finding out that the shop under torqued the calipers to the frame and they kept moving. High end shop so wasn't expecting that and took me a long time to finally check the torque spec.

While I'd like an aero/integrated bar, my OCD can't handle how much work that would be to finally get flawlessly setup...so I just don't.
Old 03-28-22, 05:01 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Lol. I have a 2020 Domane SL5, and have changed a lot of it. It’s crazy, but there will probably be more.
I have a 2019 Domane SL5 and changed a lot of it by buying a 2021 Domane SLR7.
Old 03-28-22, 06:28 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
I blame it on the previous owner.
My 1957 Carlton was upgraded before my time from steel cottered Williams cranks to 1961 aluminum, square tapered T.A. cranks...
So I felt compelled to also upgrade the Simplex derailleurs to 1961 spec.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-28-22, 06:36 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I have a 2019 Domane SL5 and changed a lot of it by buying a 2021 Domane SLR7.
One way to do it!
Old 03-29-22, 10:25 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
My 'newest' most ridden bike, is a 2011 BMC, I still pass newer bike riders (and younger riders) disc brakes aren't going to make me faster, are they?
Carbon rims or lighter wheels might... and tubeless ! ...but I am not there yet. 2011 was a good year for bike technology.

Old 03-29-22, 10:57 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Does buying a cassette that is more suitable for my lack of power and my local terrain count as an upgrade?

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont have a desire to upgrade any of my road bikes, but it is largely moot because they are all 2x11sp rim brake, so upgrading the drivetrains is largely not possible moving forward. I will just stick with the 11sp mechanical Ultegra and 11sp mechanical 105 since I like how they work.
After upgrading from the stock Mavic Aksium to Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, and replacing the handlebar and seat post with lighter and more compliant carbon fiber counterparts, I felt exactly the same way about my 2x11 Shimano 105 rim brake bike for a long time until two months ago, when I ordered a new CF wheelset which will be the final possible upgrade to this bike.

Originally Posted by puma1552
I'm very particular and detail oriented, so any change usually means far more tinkering and dialing in than most people, and quite frankly, I don't enjoy that process whatsoever.
I am also extremely OCD but the constant tinkering and optimization is part of the fun for me.

While I'd like an aero/integrated bar, my OCD can't handle how much work that would be to finally get flawlessly setup...so I just don't.
Yeah, a fully integrated bar and stem with cables and hoses passing through the headset is a bridge too far even for all but the most inveterate tinkerers. That is why I am holding off on a new bike until the new 12 speed Ultegra groupset becomes more widely available, and I would still want the rear brake hose to enter the frame aft of the head tube.
Old 03-30-22, 04:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,852 Times in 3,001 Posts

I actually found the lack of adjustment helped with my OCD. No more worrying about whether or not I should rotate the bars slightly or play around with different stems.
Old 03-30-22, 05:13 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Yes, and No. My '06 LeMond road bike is stock, with only wear and tear items replaced. But my ancient ('98 frame) GT mtn.bike doesn't have an original part left. Even the frame was a replacement for one on which I cracked a weld. My wife's LeMond is also stock except for wear and tear. Her 98 Kona Lava Dome is stock except for the front fork which I upgraded.
Old 03-30-22, 07:17 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
By this time, I'm usually looking for that next frameset to build up. But after building up my Lynskey Helix and a very underrated SBC 6061 all-road that was a budget build, I haven't had any urges to upgrade/replace any of these bikes. T
Old 04-01-22, 02:14 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Many of my geezer mods could be considered downgrades...

Once I get a bike the way I like it, it tends to stay that way. Until then, however, changes are legit, even when "incorrect".
Old 04-02-22, 09:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
As my newest bike is 2011, no plans to not upgrade….

But not much.
Can probably drop a lot of weight by removing some unused logos.
Likes For Sy Reene: