Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Small crack in rim near one spoke—should I stop riding immediately?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-24-22, 09:36 AM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 25 Posts

I noticed a small crack around one of the spokes in the rear wheel of my Ksyrium Equipe wheels. I inspected both rims very closely and it is the only spot with any signs of cracking. Should I stop riding it immediately, or is there still some (safe) life left in it? See picture below. Thanks!

Old 04-24-22, 10:19 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Well that certainly appears to be a crack to me from the photo. If indeed a crack, then personally, I wouldn't ride it much more than around the neighborhood myself to check adjustments, etc. if I worked on the bike. Others with more experience with Kysrium rims may chime in.
Old 04-24-22, 10:50 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I say don't ride it.
Old 04-24-22, 01:27 PM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I’d say don’t ride it. That said, I had a crack in a wheel I didn’t notice for over a year and nothing bad happened but could have. I had a creaking/popping noise and couldn’t figure it out until the crack got stuck “open” and I snagged my wash cloth on the rough edge while cleaning it.
Old 04-24-22, 01:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
If it were a front, I would definitely stop riding it. But as it's a rear, my curiosity would have me pack a spoke wrench and keep riding it to see what happens.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-24-22, 01:34 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
I don't think it's a big safety concern but with that few spokes in the rim it will just keep getting worse, will probably go way out of true at some point and could ruin a ride. You could drill a small hole at each end of the crack if you can't get it replaced right away which would slow the growth of the crack.
Old 04-24-22, 02:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
The crack will stop growing when the stress is released, when the spoke no longer has tension. Many riders have gone many miles more with cracking spoke nipple holes w/out issues (other than wobbly wheels) This is no worse than riding with a broken spoke. Of course wheels with stupid few spoke counts will see more wobble, when this happens, than a wheel with a higher spoke density will.

But I always like these "should I still ride the bike" type questions. Or the "how much more can I ride the bike" ones. The bike (or wheel) is telling you that it has given up it's life for your pleasure and ideally should have already been replaced. Andy
Old 04-24-22, 04:08 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
Rear - Ride it until you get a replacement, but start that process now.
Old 04-24-22, 05:47 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
I noticed a small crack around one of the spokes in the rear wheel of my Ksyrium Equipe wheels. I inspected both rims very closely and it is the only spot with any signs of cracking. Should I stop riding it immediately, or is there still some (safe) life left in it? See picture below. Thanks!
Most likely scenario is that the wheel goes out of true as the crack propagates and the spoke tension is reduced. Then you tighten the spoke to true the wheel and the crack propagates faster. Then you replace the rim. Even if the spoke pulled out you would just have a wobbly wheel.
Old 04-24-22, 06:36 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,810 Posts
Over the years, I've replaced a number of rims with cracks like that.
I always found the crack when cleaning the rim, and never had a catastrophic failure from one.
Old 04-24-22, 07:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I had a rear rim with a couple cracks like that after a few thousand miles. I have no doubt the cracks had been there for some time before I found them. I procured a new rim and spokes, which took a while, then re-built the wheel. I doubt such cracks are likely to fail catastrophically, but I considered it a "courtesy warning".