Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My dad's 40s Norman of England

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My dad's 40s Norman of England

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 07:34 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
From the OP's album:

Old 04-27-22, 07:45 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by lelila
Well that didn't work. I thought I was multiquoting but obviously I failed at that.
Yeah, well, we've all done that!

If you stick around long enough to try the 'search threads' function... well, good luck with that.

The bike looks like a standard English three speed of the era, very much like one that I had for the last 18 years or so and just sold. They are great bikes, fun to ride and as close to indestructible as a bicycle can be. As others have mentioned, there is a date code on the rear hub that will tell you when that was made; also, they changed the design of the trigger shifter on the handlebar several times over the years, so a photo of that will also give an approximate date. But of course if you know your father got the bike in the 40's, then you probably don't need to put a date on it.

Last edited by rhm; 04-27-22 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-28-22, 05:36 AM
lelila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Yeah, well, we've all done that!

If you stick around long enough to try the 'search threads' function... well, good luck with that.

The bike looks like a standard English three speed of the era, very much like one that I had for the last 18 years or so and just sold. They are great bikes, fun to ride and as close to indestructible as a bicycle can be. As others have mentioned, there is a date code on the rear hub that will tell you when that was made; also, they changed the design of the trigger shifter on the handlebar several times over the years, so a photo of that will also give an approximate date. But of course if you know your father got the bike in the 40's, then you probably don't need to put a date on it.
What's a rear hub?
Old 04-28-22, 06:49 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by lelila
What's a rear hub?
The center of the rear wheel where the chain sprocket is and spokes end. Somewhere on the hub between the spoke flanges (after cleaned up) there will be markings with brand/model of hub and usually a date, especially if it's a Sturmey Archer hub