Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Bike Tires, Tubes & Parts Advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 12:33 PM
jwr0201

Bikes: Trek Lattitude MTB Specialized Crossroads Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm looking to refurbish a new to me Specialized Crossroads and will start with new tubes & tires.
So, what is the difference between 'foldable' tires and others? Are the foldable tires as easy to mount and as durable?
Please offer advice on decent mid range tires I should be looking into. My riding is almost exclusively on pavement with a little on hard trails/paths.
Also, what is a good online source for replacement bolts, screws, cables, etc?

Thanks,
RR
​​​​​​​
Old 04-29-22, 02:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0201
I'm looking to refurbish a new to me Specialized Crossroads and will start with new tubes & tires.
So, what is the difference between 'foldable' tires and others? Are the foldable tires as easy to mount and as durable?
Please offer advice on decent mid range tires I should be looking into. My riding is almost exclusively on pavement with a little on hard trails/paths.

Thanks,
RR
saw this bookmark the other day. maybe it will help?

​​​​​​​https://www.boltdepot.com/catalog.as...SAAEgLB-fD_BwE
Old 04-29-22, 02:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Folding tires are pretty much the norm for today from inexpensive to very expensive tires. Wire bead tires are pretty much old school vintage tech from days long gone. Although for some old rims, you might should only use wire bead tires.

Whether one is easier than the other is probably an individual thing both with tire and rim combo, and the true expertise of the installer. Not the imagined expertise of the installer.

If most of your riding is on pavement, then I'd recommend tires with no tread or very little tread pattern. Knobbies, until they wear off will be like riding chip seal pavement with large aggregate stone. You'll be slow and worn out sooner.

As for what specific tire, I'll let others suggest. But don't just grab a brand you've never heard of or isn't ever seen anywhere besides Amazon or eBay.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-29-22, 02:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
So, what is the difference between 'foldable' tires and others?

Thanks,
RR
No difference in ride quality and no difference in durability.
Old 04-30-22, 02:17 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
No difference in ride quality and no difference in durability.
Not really, because most wire bead tires are at the low end of every manufacturer's line. Plus the wire beads sometimes get bent when the tire is improperly folded for shipment.
Old 05-02-22, 04:11 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I like schwalbe Marathon, marathon plus or similar touring tires with reinforced Kevlar (or similar). They rarely ever get puncture flats, I don't care if they are folding or wire bead.
Old 05-07-22, 01:05 AM
Panecis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Not really, because most wire bead tires are at the low end of every manufacturer's line. Plus the wire beads sometimes get bent when the tire is improperly folded for shipment.
make sense~
Old 05-07-22, 05:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Thanks,
RR

I liked Continental GP5000 for a goood road tire. I found when riding my FX3 ion roads, ​​​​​​​what is good for you on a road bike will work just as well on the hybrid.