Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a roadside assistance program for bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is there a roadside assistance program for bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-22, 05:57 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Uber to the local Uhaul/Penske/Lowes/Home Depot for a $19.95 2 hour rental.

Spare key stashed somewhere on the vehicle you use to haul the tandem. You can call someone to come pick you up with it.
dont have a vehicle our tandem is our car and truck.
Old 04-28-22, 05:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I live in a rural area, so for me "roadside assistance" means whatever tools & supplies you can carry with you. If I had to wait on someone coming to me to fix my bike I'd be waiting for hours.
I carry tools but crap happens.
Old 04-29-22, 12:51 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
AAA will do this, if you pay for the expensive version. I haven't done that yet, mainly because where I ride, there is very limited cell phone coverage, so I need to be self-sufficient. If I get injured, then I have a different set of problems.

I don't think you have to own a car for AAA membership, but it probably would not be cost-effective.
I finally had an opportunity to try being rescued by AAA. It was a really chilly challenge as they wanted info submitted by their app which needed downloading. Then the app required credentials stored in my password app - all trying to copy/paste/type on my phone's small screen. .Their app is not set up for bikes and insisted on car make, model and even fudging it was a pain. Threw in the "app-towel" and I finally got through via phone after 20 minutes on hold to be told they would be by in about 2-3 hours - way after sunset (the body would have been frozen solid by then). Finally, prevailed on a friend to bail me out. I could not cancel the call using the app which again was not setup for bikes!

All in all - a complete pain. I might try it again after some shakedown work.
Old 04-29-22, 12:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I finally had an opportunity to try being rescued by AAA. It was a really chilly challenge as they wanted info submitted by their app which needed downloading. Then the app required credentials stored in my password app - all trying to copy/paste/type on my phone's small screen. .Their app is not set up for bikes and insisted on car make, model and even fudging it was a pain. Threw in the "app-towel" and I finally got through via phone after 20 minutes on hold to be told they would be by in about 2-3 hours - way after sunset (the body would have been frozen solid by then). Finally, prevailed on a friend to bail me out. I could not cancel the call using the app which again was not setup for bikes!

All in all - a complete pain. I might try it again after some shakedown work.
I'm very sorry to hear that, but thank you for saving me some money (and potential headache). One could easily do a walk of shame in 2 to 3 hours, and it would have the added benefit of slowing hypothermia onset.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-29-22, 01:09 PM
kahn

I'm very sorry to hear that, but thank you for saving me some money (and potential headache). One could easily do a walk of shame in 2 to 3 hours, and it would have the added benefit of slowing hypothermia onset.
Now that you mention it, I might have been able to find a nearby bus route and that did not occur to me at that location. Again, it might have been a very busy day for them and response time was poor. Slow response is not bad if you are sitting at home waiting for them to come. I've had slow response in boonies but they did provide excellent service about 30 miles from Kanab, Utah after my friends alternator died and another time west of Durango, CO after hitting a deer in a rental car. Both of those times, the AAA card was mine but if you are in the car, you are covered even if not owned or rented!
Old 04-29-22, 01:14 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Now that you mention it, I might have been able to find a nearby bus route and that did not occur to me at that location. Again, it might have been a very busy day for them and response time was poor. Slow response is not bad if you are sitting at home waiting for them to come. I've had slow response in boonies but they did provide excellent service about 30 miles from Kanab, Utah after my friends alternator died and another time west of Durango, CO after hitting a deer in a rental car. Both of those times, the AAA card was mine but if you are in the car, you are covered even if not owned or rented!
I think if I am ever stranded, I am just going to scream

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-29-22, 02:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
. One could easily do a walk of shame in 2 to 3 hours, and it would have the added benefit of slowing hypothermia onset.
That is why I use platform pedals and hiking boots just in case I have to walk...I can not imagine walking for 2 or 3 hours in $ 400 dollar clipless shoes.
Old 04-29-22, 03:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18407 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That is why I use platform pedals and hiking boots just in case I have to walk...I can not imagine walking for 2 or 3 hours in $ 400 dollar clipless shoes.
What about in those $400 bibs you frequently mention but never identify? And have you considered making your obsession a lottery pick?
Old 04-29-22, 03:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What about in those $400 bibs you frequently mention but never identify? And have you considered making your obsession a lottery pick?
Lottery win would be nice. I could finally go live off grid in my dream home powered by solar panels and wood burning stove.
Old 04-29-22, 03:59 PM
kahn

I think if I am ever stranded, I am just going to scream

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Won't do you much good. That was the guy's name who was alphabetical in front of me in some school or other.
Old 04-29-22, 04:00 PM
kahn

Mine don't cost anywhere near that but they still are not very comfortable on pavement. It was probably better a few decades ago with toe clips and sneakers!
Old 04-30-22, 09:41 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Won't do you much good. That was the guy's name who was alphabetical in front of me in some school or other.
For the purists: It was Khan in Star Trek (all 3 versions).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-30-22, 03:01 PM
kahn

For the purists: It was Khan in Star Trek (all 3 versions).
I think that was Genghis' last name, too!
Likes For kahn:
Old 04-30-22, 03:40 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
I assume most of us would have a tool kit with us and would take the cleats off before hiking home. That's what I'd planned doing when using clipless if I didn't have space in my bag for trainers).
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 04-30-22, 07:09 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by Herzlos
I assume most of us would have a tool kit with us and would take the cleats off before hiking home. That's what I'd planned doing when using clipless if I didn't have space in my bag for trainers).
I have to be honest - that is not something I considered. If I am ever in a position to have to walk miles, maybe even too many concrete blocks and sidewalks, removing the cleats might be a good idea.
Old 05-01-22, 06:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Uber.
Old 05-01-22, 01:19 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Having an Uber account and carrying a cell phone and a credit card works the best. For a tandem you would need to specify a large van and hope the seats fold down. On a bike the only failures are broken spokes and flat tires and it is not a big deal to carry a couple extra spokes and a tube and a mini tool set. It pays to be as self sufficient as possible and not depend 100% on getting bailed out when some minor problem arises.
Old 05-01-22, 02:11 PM
Taymob

Bikes: Moots, Bianchi SBX, litespeed classic, Bianchi mega pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
we have veloinsurance and of course the one time we needed roadside assistance Could not find the info. but when I decide to drop the insurance it would be nice to have some kind of roadside assistance. we down drive and dont ahve people that can pick us up and our tandem if we break down. Since we don't drive nothing with car insurance will work I dont think. this is in the US most likely Oregon and Washington only.
I've used uber xl before, when I had an issue that couldn't be fixed on the road.
Old 05-02-22, 08:27 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
AAA in Delaware will pick you and your bike up and transport to your chosen destination. They will not perform repairs.

I haven't used AAA yet and hope never have to so I can't report on efficiency, etc.
Old 05-02-22, 10:08 PM
Taymob

Bikes: Moots, Bianchi SBX, litespeed classic, Bianchi mega pro

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
AAA in Delaware will pick you and your bike up and transport to your chosen destination. They will not perform repairs.

I haven't used AAA yet and hope never have to so I can't report on efficiency, etc.
Is that through a normal aaa membership or do they have one for bikes ?
Old 05-03-22, 12:36 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Taymob
Is that through a normal aaa membership or do they have one for bikes ?
I have both AAA emergency road service (what most people think of when you mention AAA) and AAA auto insurance (collision, liability, etc.).

I am almost positive that the bike pick-up is through the emergency road service and I don't pay extra for it. I believe that every state or region has different perks and rules. Delaware is part of AAA Mid-Atlantic.
Old 05-05-22, 08:41 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I was feeling sick during a ride once and couldn't make it back to my car. Fortunately, i had a lock with me. So I locked up my bike and took an Uber back to my car. Then drove back to where I left the bike. It was fortunately unharmed so I loaded it up and went home.
Old 05-05-22, 10:39 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have travelled not-insignificant distances in strangers' trucks when I was stranded or too tired to continue. This may not be recommended for those who are not a 6-and-a-half foot tall 250 lb men, but I have no experience otherwise. I have met some strange characters I likely would not have met (or maybe should not have accepted a ride from) in any other situation.
Old 05-06-22, 07:45 AM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
for my regular bike the bus works but for our tandem nope.
Got stuck in Portland Maine with a tandem last summer. Real drag. Later on passing the UHaul place here saw they have Vans for rent at $20 a day plus mileage. That is something to think about..
Old 05-06-22, 09:20 AM
kunoichi

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Lots of people have none of those things.
Thank you!