Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with aluminium rear dropouts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-22, 09:31 PM
HAFIZ_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my bike has like 2mm or 3mm of tyre wobble when riding I've checked and seen that my rear dropout seems to been worn out really bad what can I do?
Old 05-06-22, 09:34 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you're not going to show us what you're talking about, who knows? C'mon OP, make the effort.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-06-22, 09:53 PM
HAFIZ_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If you're not going to show us what you're talking about, who knows? C'mon OP, make the effort.
[size=16px]You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more (keeps saying this)[/size]
Old 05-06-22, 10:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by HAFIZ_
So my bike has like 2mm or 3mm of tyre wobble when riding I've checked and seen that my rear dropout seems to been worn out really bad what can I do?
If your rear drop outs are literally worn away, its time for a new bike/frame.
Old 05-07-22, 02:56 AM
HAFIZ_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If your rear drop outs are literally worn away, its time for a new bike/frame.
bro my bike is only been 4 months its because I bought a rear hub which didn't fit the dropout so I filed it and still didn't work then returned it and bought a Mid drive which finally worked but now the wheel is kinda sketchy what should I do can its still rideable but I heard that the more time I ride it the more time my wheel will worn out the dropouts even more i was thinking to add jb weld let me know because I really can't afford a new frame
Old 05-07-22, 04:13 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
You’re really forcing us to guess here.

Worn dropouts could cause the wheel to sit crooked, or lose alignment from installation to when you start riding.
But if your tire is wobbling when the wheel is spun off the ground, then the dropouts have nothing to do with that.
could be that the tire simply isn’t any better.
Could be that it isn’t seated properly.
could be that the rim is out of true.
Old 05-07-22, 04:22 AM
HAFIZ_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
You’re really forcing us to guess here.

Worn dropouts could cause the wheel to sit crooked, or lose alignment from installation to when you start riding.
But if your tire is wobbling when the wheel is spun off the ground, then the dropouts have nothing to do with that.
could be that the tire simply isn’t any better.
Could be that it isn’t seated properly.
could be that the rim is out of true.
I just came back from a bike ride the bike doesn't wobble only when going over big bumps really fast otherwise it feels really secure so what should I do shall I just buy a new frame? Or...
Old 05-07-22, 04:43 AM
dabac

….the bike doesn't wobble only when going over big bumps really fast otherwise it feels really secure .. ..
That still can mean several things. Maybe the wheel simply isn’t stiff enough for that kind of impacts.
It sounds like you’re talking about an ebike conversion. Ebikes tend to promote bad riding habits, like sitting heavily in the saddle. Learn to ”go light” when hitting bumps. Out of saddle, knees and elbows bent. Let the bike move underneath you.
Or maybe the frame is flexing. Is it a full-suspension or a hardtail?
Old 05-07-22, 04:49 AM
HAFIZ_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
That still can mean several things. Maybe the wheel simply isn’t stiff enough for that kind of impacts.
It sounds like you’re talking about an ebike conversion. Ebikes tend to promote bad riding habits, like sitting heavily in the saddle. Learn to ”go light” when hitting bumps. Out of saddle, knees and elbows bent. Let the bike move underneath you.
Or maybe the frame is flexing. Is it a full-suspension or a hardtail?
hardtail every time I go over bumps I make sure I bend my knees and elbows and sit up until I go over the bump maybe I need a stronger skewer that has a good bitting point
Old 05-07-22, 04:56 AM
dabac

hardtail every time I go over bumps I make sure I bend my knees and elbows and sit up until I go over the bump maybe I need a stronger skewer that has a good bitting point
A stronger skewer might only help if the wheel is shifting alignment in the dropouts, and you need to reset it after a bump. If it flexes but stays in position you have another problem.
Old 05-07-22, 05:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
bro my bike is only been 4 months its because I bought a rear hub which didn't fit the dropout so I filed it and still didn't work then returned it and bought a Mid drive which finally worked but now the wheel is kinda sketchy what should I do can its still rideable but I heard that the more time I ride it the more time my wheel will worn out the dropouts even more i was thinking to add jb weld let me know because I really can't afford a new frame
Bro, punctuation is your friend.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-07-22, 06:47 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you filed your aluminum drop outs to fit something that is not designed to fit in there, then you most likely butchered and ruined your frame. It's impossible to know for sure because you don't tell us or show us exactly where and what you filed.
Old 05-07-22, 06:55 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Wait. You filed the drop outs so another wheel would fit. That did not work. Then did you return the other wheel or the bike? What bike is this? You can post links so the manufacturers site for the bike and wheel you could post. Oh and did you file the drop out opening because the other wheel axle was larger or the drop out spacing because the hub was too wide?

Now for some speculation. After you screwed up the drop outs with the “filing” the original wheel did not fit correctly and the shock from going over a bump shift the wheel chasing the wobble. Trashed frame. Maybe you can shim it.
Old 05-07-22, 07:35 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It could also be something as simple as the cones/bearings not properly being adjusted in the rear hub but if that were the case you should be able to lift the rear wheel and wiggle the wheel from side to side and get some play. If the cones that hold in the bearings are too loose it will damage the bearing races pretty quickly, especially if you do things like jump curbs and the like. Given the unusual things you have already done to the bike, I wouldn't hold out much hope to get it right. Maybe it is time to let a competent bike mechanic look it over.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 05-07-22, 08:51 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Wonder if this guy knows Larry?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-07-22, 08:56 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
HAFIZ has tons of dropout pics in his Gallery, here is just one of many. Your welcome.
Old 05-07-22, 12:36 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I just came back from a bike ride the bike doesn't wobble only when going over big bumps really fast otherwise it feels really secure so what should I do shall I just buy a new frame? Or...
Don't do anything until you get it diagnosed properly. Could be a simple hub adjustment, could be you toasted your dropout by filing it, could be a weak QR cam.

Get it to a shop before throwing any money at it or a new frame. From this pic, it doesn't look like much of the dropout is contacting the nut:

Old 05-07-22, 01:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I bought a rear hub which didn't fit the dropout so I filed it
This is your problem. You bought a hub with wrong spacing for your drop outs and then tried to force it in by filing the drop outs...What you should of done is find out the rear spacing on your frame and then purchase a hub with the same spacing. Filing drop out is a bad idea. You need to take your frame to a bike shop and let them determine if the frame is good or if it's trash.
Old 05-07-22, 02:42 PM
dabac

Originally Posted by wolfchild
This is your problem. You bought a hub with wrong spacing for your drop outs and then tried to force it in by filing the drop outs...What you should of done is find out the rear spacing on your frame and then purchase a hub with the same spacing.
look at the pics. Not much evidence of filing to widen the OLD. Perhaps some evidence of filing to allow for a thicker axle, which would tie in well with the hinted at ebike conversion.
Likes For dabac:
Old 05-07-22, 04:21 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You bought a hub with wrong spacing for your drop outs and then tried to force it in by filing the drop outs...What you should of done is find out the rear spacing on your frame and then purchase a hub with the same spacing. .
🤦‍♂️ Pretty sure that's not what happened.

LOL @ "should of."
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-07-22, 06:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
[size=16px]You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more (keeps saying this)[/size]
So why not just post in the forum in the many awesome threads and get your 10 posts like a person who intended to join the forum would want to do.
Likes For veganbikes: