Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

10 Benefits of Cycling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

10 Benefits of Cycling

Old 05-15-22, 06:24 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 531 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Honestly I think that once youre used to cycling its not a very good workout unless you are really pushing it, or have to climb a hill. cruising around on the flats is super efficient, I don't think its as taxing as jogging for instance
For me, I'm always pushing. I can't not push. Just not in my nature. And as for the running thing, I cycle more than I run because it's easier on the knees, which is a big deal in my case.
Old 05-15-22, 07:28 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
For me, I'm always pushing. I can't not push. Just not in my nature. And as for the running thing, I cycle more than I run because it's easier on the knees, which is a big deal in my case.
Nice! I'm lazy and don't push myself unless there is somebody to race
Old 05-15-22, 08:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Swimming is terrible because it isn't a weight bearing exercise and doesn't do anything to build muscle or increase bone density.

Yeah, it's not like you're working muscles against resistance or anything.

Really, you couldn't be more wrong, swimming is great for building muscle. It's a friggin' resistance training.
​​​​
Old 05-15-22, 08:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Does anyone buy the shoulder strengthening claim in the op? I love biking, but the upper body stuff is pretty minimal.
Old 05-15-22, 08:19 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I had never learned to swim and a couple of years ago I decided to take lessons. I can now swim well enough to not drown. But when I do go to the pool, I feel like I get a good cardio workout and it seems every muscle in my body has been used.

Old 05-15-22, 08:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
# 11. A money laundering loophole for those in an overbearing relationship.
Old 05-15-22, 08:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Does anyone buy the shoulder strengthening claim in the op? I love biking, but the upper body stuff is pretty minimal.
wait, so you don't ride while flailing your arms aimlessly about when blasting down the road with a boombox ramped up 100%?
Pure upper buddy strength.
Old 05-15-22, 09:07 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Except that 99% of cyclists also own vehicles and need to drive to get to work, run errands and handle family responsibilities....so yes gasoline prices do have a negative effect on cyclists.
99% ?

there are many global cities with cycling mode share past 10%, or 10x more than your broad generalization. most are in europe or asia of course, but even in the US there are cities in the 5% range (5x your estimate) and those numbers have been going up.

i’m all for higher gasoline prices. less people driving (or people driver less far) is better for the environment, global affairs, health, AND for cyclists who are actually riding bikes.

Last edited by mschwett; 05-15-22 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 10:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Indeed. The one thing I will say with regard to cardiovascular health is you can actually get so well conditioned that you have to inform your healthcare provider of your training (if you don't already know this). My resting heart rate now is generally in the 50s and when I sleep it can drop down into the 30s and there is nothing wrong with me. Case in point, a couple months ago I had a minor procedure but it started so late in the day they kept me overnight. Standard protocol is everybody admitted to the floor gets telemetry so I was hooked up just like everybody else. About 3am, the nurse wakes me up to make sure I'm feeling OK. I tell her I feel fine, "why?" She tells me my heart rate was down to 35bpm.
Ha! When I raced my at rest BP was so low I couldn't find my pulse to take it unless I was not recovered/overtrained. I have no idea what my sleeping or just woke BP was. I was a regular platelet donor. One day the nurse upped both numbers of my BP 2 pts to make the minimum 100/50 so I could give. (And I'd just ridden about 5 miles to get there. She was disgusted!)

Don't ride anywhere near that much now. But I do get more attention at surgeries and procedures to make sure this guy with the low numbers is OK. I've also had doctors who were concerned with my enlarged heart!
Old 05-15-22, 10:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I would change the opening post slightly to say that fix gear riding does all that but the upper body/overall conditioning side of it better. Especially if you take the fix gears into hills. The more I ride fixed and the more hills I ride fixed, the better strength I have, the easier tool use and yard work are, and the bigger the bounce in my step (except after rides!) The more fun weight lifting is. A 15 mile ride from my house to the Portland hills in my backyard is a whole body workout - even when I bring the extra cogs and change them. (There are always some quick little rises and descents that aren't worth stopping for so I may be doing them in a full-body weight lift 42-12. Or spinning down them at an insane RPM 42-24. This is as an old man. When I was young, it was all 42-17.)
Old 05-15-22, 10:35 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Expert Here

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I don't feel like SNPA tastes the same either.
I think there is some small variation from one batch to another. But what really matters is the distributor's volume. If the product sits for months, as is what happens with big chain stores, the quality degrades. Look for a small grocery store that is sometimes out of Sierra Nevada. Listen to me now, believe me later. 6 packs of real glass bottles is the only way to go, they move fastest and taste best to me.
Old 05-15-22, 10:45 PM
VegasJen

I think it's good for toning. You guys might not notice as much since you have more upper body strength naturally, but I think we notice it more than you do.
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I had never learned to swim and a couple of years ago I decided to take lessons. I can now swim well enough to not drown. But when I do go to the pool, I feel like I get a good cardio workout and it seems every muscle in my body has been used.
That's because every muscle has.
Originally Posted by mschwett
i’m all for higher gasoline prices. less people driving (or people driver less far) is better for the environment, global affairs, health, AND for cyclists who are actually riding bikes.
Oh jeez.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Ha! When I raced my at rest BP was so low I couldn't find my pulse to take it unless I was not recovered/overtrained. I have no idea what my sleeping or just woke BP was. I was a regular platelet donor. One day the nurse upped both numbers of my BP 2 pts to make the minimum 100/50 so I could give. (And I'd just ridden about 5 miles to get there. She was disgusted!)

Don't ride anywhere near that much now. But I do get more attention at surgeries and procedures to make sure this guy with the low numbers is OK. I've also had doctors who were concerned with my enlarged heart!
I had my blood pressure taken this one time at an office visit. Came out as 99/58. The nurse didn't like that and said, "I'm going to try that one again." Next time it came out 98/56. He said, "I think I'm going to stop while I'm behind."
Old 05-16-22, 04:06 AM
Dwiptr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deko
Cycling is one of the best ways and a great exercise to keep yourself healthy and fit as it includes complete movement of the body and burns excessive calories and bad fats. Cycling does not only help you burn extra body fats but it also involves a lot of other benefits that can prove to be very helpful for you. You might probably be thinking what can be the possible benefits of cycling other than losing extra fats and burning some calories. Well, in this article, we are going to have a look at the 10 benefits of cycling so you can see how crucial it is and can help you improve your health.

Cycling benefits

Here is the complete list of cycling benefits with a detailed description and in-depth explanation so you do not ever have to face any complications while considering cycling as a daily routine of your life.

Cardiovascular fitness

The first benefit of cycling that we are going to consider is cardiovascular fitness. Regular cycling can prove to be a great factor in reduced chances of heart strokes, heart attack, high blood pressure, and other related health issues as it makes your muscles stronger and helps you in lowering your heartbeat. You do not have to practice high-level cycling skills or other techniques as a simple cycling round for 45 minutes to 50 minutes is recommended for a good experience.

Muscle strength

The next benefit on our list is muscle strength. Cycling is a great source to strengthen your muscles as it involves the movement of your body in different directions. The movement during cycling enhances your shoulder muscles and hamstrings for more power and strength. You might feel a little tired and stressed when you newly start cycling but with time, we assure you that it will not be difficult for you and you will be able to feel your muscles getting stronger.

Lower stress

Cycling might not be directly related to stress but it plays a huge role in lowering your stress level. Taking some time out of your busy working schedule and hectic days for some exercises in the form of cycling under the fresh air helps you relax. It releases tensions while you cycle
through the wonders of nature. Just like a morning walk helps you to stay fresh, cycling helps you in lowering stress and anxiety while improving your physical strength.

Enhances stamina

The next benefit that is very crucial for youth is the enhancement of stamina. As a young person or youth, you might need a lot of energy for different tasks. If you do not exercise or cycle regularly then your body will not be able to endure hardships that you might have to face later.
Cycling helps you build more stamina and energy so you can perform every task with greater efficiency.

Fun exercise

The next benefit we will be discussing is fun and enjoyment while cycling. Most of the time people find it a bit difficult to spare some time and do exercise but with cycling, it is not as hard as it gets with traditional exercise. Cycling is considered the most fun way to exercise as it does not include any complex methods or techniques. You can choose cycling as a hobby or as a transport also for nearby places such as parks or stores.

Strong bones

Exercise is not enough for making your bones strong. Here is the place when cycling benefits jump in and take over the win. Exercise is only for burning extra calories or losing excess weight but cycling can prove to be a very beneficial way to make your bones stronger so they can
overcome bone diseases and do not break easily in any case. The up and down movement of your legs while pedaling puts pressure on your hips, hamstrings, feet, ankles, and lower leg to enhance their strength.

Weight control

One of the most crucial benefits of cycling for obese people is weight control. Regular cycling not only helps you in making your bones strong and protecting you from heart diseases but it is also popular for losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight since cycling is also a type of
the most effective exercise as it involves movement of the body and burning calories at a fast pace than most of the exercises.

Chronic diseases

Protection from chronic diseases such as cancer and diabetes is yet another advantage of cycling that urges you to go for regular cycling practices. Cycling helps you regulate bowel movement that prevents colon and breast cancer. Similarly, physical activity involved in cycling regulates blood flow and burns down bad fats results in protection from diabetes. This advantage is also proved by the researchers.

Improved coordination

The second last benefit of cycling that we got for you in this list is improved coordination by cycling. Regular cycle practice helps you improve your body posture and coordination as you learn to pedal in a systematic manner. As well the posture of your back, straight head
positioning, and stretched-out arms while riding a bike helps you in maintaining the same and better posture in other daily life tasks.

Fresh air

The last but not the least of all benefits of cycling is the fresh air. Fresh air is related to all the other benefits of cycling that we discussed above to improve or enhance your experience. Fresh air keeps you mentally healthy. While breathing fresh air and cycling, you will always feel fresh at work and in other aspects of life that will ultimately result in greater productivity.

Conclusion

It is time to end our roller coaster journey regarding the 10 benefits of cycling since we have gone through the details. We hope you must have learned all the crucial factors regarding the benefits of cycling. Now, the only thing you need to do is choose a suitable time and start cycling regularly to stay healthy, fit, and active.
thankyou
Old 05-16-22, 06:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think it's good for toning. You guys might not notice as much since you have more upper body strength naturally, but I think we notice it more than you do.
That may be, but I still think it's a gross overstatement to suggest that it's "great" for upper body strength when almost any other form of exercise is probably better for that one thing. To be clear, that's not a quibble with what you wrote, I'm saying that assuing what you wrote is true, the OP went too far.

I know I get a small amount of upper body benefit from the huge number of miles I ride, but I don't think it's any more than I would get just walking.
Old 05-16-22, 05:43 PM
VegasJen

That may be, but I still think it's a gross overstatement to suggest that it's "great" for upper body strength when almost any other form of exercise is probably better for that one thing. To be clear, that's not a quibble with what you wrote, I'm saying that assuing what you wrote is true, the OP went too far.

I know I get a small amount of upper body benefit from the huge number of miles I ride, but I don't think it's any more than I would get just walking.
I would agree with you. Like I said, I think it's probably "great" for toning what you have. But I would hardly consider it a strength exercise. And I think even the toning part would require some effort. I do know that my arms feel it the day after a long ride where I spend a lot of time standing and mashing.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 05-16-22, 07:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
What's a heart stroke?
Old 05-16-22, 07:28 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by JanMM
What's a heart stroke?
May just be different terminology used in different parts of the world, but based on the context, I assume they mean M.I. or eschemic attack.
Old 05-16-22, 07:43 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Swimming is terrible because it isn't a weight bearing exercise and doesn't do anything to build muscle or increase bone density.
^ has evidently never heard of cardio. 🤦‍♂️
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-17-22, 07:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

May just be different terminology used in different parts of the world, but based on the context, I assume they mean M.I. or eschemic attack.

I assumed they meant stroke.
Old 05-17-22, 11:37 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Hmmmm......no such thing as a heart stroke - it's a brain problem
Fresh air? Does not exist in many areas, including places where lots of folks are riding bikes.
Weight bearing exercise? Cycling is not and does not protect against mineral loss that contributes to bone weakness
And left out the part about bicycling helping to maintain and/or improve a person's ability to balance.
But, buy some stuff from Deko and you will have a truly magical cycling experience. According to their website.
Old 05-17-22, 12:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rolla

Seriously. Also, the appeal of cycling and swimming are basically the same--good cardio workouts that are unlikely to overstress joints and feet. If anything, swimming has the advantage because it's more of a full-body workout than cycling. I just don't like swimming because I hate chlorine, find the activity tedious, and am prone to ear infections. Wolfie just doesn't like swimming because it doesn't give people big showy muscles, just really well-toned ones.
Old 05-17-22, 04:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I get more than enough cardio riding my bike.
Old 05-17-22, 04:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Yeah, it's not like you're working muscles against resistance or anything.

Really, you couldn't be more wrong, swimming is great for building muscle. It's a friggin' resistance training.
​​​​
Swimming isn't a weight bearing exercise and won't preserve or increase bone density...Bones need to be stressed by loading them with weight in order for them to become more dense and stronger.
Old 05-17-22, 06:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Swimming isn't a weight bearing exercise…
Neither is riding a ‘bent.
Old 05-17-22, 09:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
I guess the second half of your screen name is accurate.
It’s not his only screen name.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.