Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Audacious Cager Behavior

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Audacious Cager Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 11:44 AM
twocoasttb

Bikes: Seven Axiom SG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Audacious Cager Behavior

Most drivers around here are courteous. Sometimes, however, an idiot tries to ruin your day.

I was flying down El Camino a few weeks ago during rush hour (not very smart) when a pickup truck pulled out of a driveway about 40 yards in front of me. I had just enough room to slow down but was pretty annoyed and shouted "OH, COME ON!". Rather polite I thought, considering the circumstances. When I passed him the driver yelled "Shut the F-ck up, assh*le". I flipped my head to acknowledge and dismiss the jerk. When he passed me about a quarter mile down the road he threw something out of the window, hitting me on the thigh. I have no idea what it was, except it was small and heavy.

Then, to my amazement, this dope took the ramp to the freeway which loops back under El Camino. I was so ticked off I would have paid a hundred dollars for a roll of quarters to put through his windshield. Fortunately, the road was clear of hand-sized projectiles and I forgot about the TOPEAK bike tool in my saddle bag. So I stopped on the bridge so I could watch him flip me off as he went under. Nice.
Old 03-10-06, 11:57 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may have missed it but the Department of Transportation has re listed bicycles as HAV's. Highly Annoying Vehicles. This give anyone in a car the right to yell at you, throw things at you or for that matter run you down and kill you with out any repercussions.

Since cyclists slow cars down by up to 10 seconds on their VIE's (very important errands) and of course don't pollute the air. The feds have decided that there is only one thing to do, and that is allow cagers to take us out. It's like hunters thinning the deer population so the don't starve to death.
Old 03-10-06, 11:58 AM
Squint
base training heretic

Bikes: Cervelo P3C, many Litespeeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you remember the driveway he pulled out of?
Old 03-10-06, 11:59 AM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't understand what some peoples problems are. Stuff like that happens to me more than it should. The only think I can think is people don't think bikes are supposed to be on the road but on the sidewalk. I just rant and get it out of the system and then get back to enjoying riding
Old 03-10-06, 12:10 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a guy in white F250 p/u who always likes to crowd us. If I ride in the morning or in evening on this certain route it never fails, he just likes to get as close as possible to the white line as he passes us and then he gets over into the middle of his lane. He does to all the cyclist. He doesn't do anything illegal but on day someone is going to swerve to avoid something in the road just as he crowds them and that will be that. Of course it will be the fault of the cyclist, because it's always the fault of the cyclist.
Old 03-10-06, 12:22 PM
in willowglen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably for the better you didn't remember your bike tool, just imagine if he can be that irrational about cutting you off.. who knows what he could do if you attacked his property.
These drivers aren't just mad at cyclists, they would be just as pissed at a slower (by slower I mean driving the speed limit, hah!) driver in front of them on a road. Ignoring them is the best imo. Precious seconds for them I guess... I just love passing by them in traffic
Old 03-10-06, 01:24 PM
wile e. coyote
buy Acme anvils

Bikes: 1935 Hawthorne, 1998 Jamis hardtail(s), 2005 bikesdirect sprintour.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you remember what driveway it was, call the cops. Best thing you could have done was find the object thrown at you, and present it to the police.

I've had people do similar stuff. One 'gentleman' driving up a windy gorge followed me for about a minute, wailing on his horn, then finally went around me and tried to run me into the ditch. Of course I got his plates, make and model. Called the cops, and a trooper showed up at my house who was a biker. Gave me the name of the company the vehicle was registered to.
What I have to wonder is if these jackasses would want people to treat their wives or children this way. I'm guessing solo male riders are usually the ones who get treated this way. This forum has taught me that driver gender doesn't seem to matter.
Old 03-10-06, 01:30 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to just wave and smile, then ride on. Now if someone really does something that could have hurt me I'll stop and stand my ground. Every time the jackoff keep going or stops, see's that I'm not running away then drives on. I guess the idea that some skinny guy in spandex just might kick your ass is too much to test.

Most of these guys are so fat that they haven't seen their dicks in years and probably go home to an overweight *****ey wife who spends her days watching soaps and throwing down pork rinds. They look at us, we are fit and out enjoying life and it just pisses them off.
Old 03-10-06, 01:35 PM
twocoasttb

Bikes: Seven Axiom SG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you remember the driveway he pulled out of?
He came out of a commercial driveway, an In and Out Burger joint if I remember correctly. Speaking of which, it's time for lunch...
Old 03-10-06, 03:35 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can we please go back to nubile co-eds flashing us?
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 03-10-06, 03:41 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My local paper often has letters from angry old white guys asking why if we can ban horses from the streets, why can't we ban bikes?

I prefer the girls who slap my ass.

Old 03-10-06, 04:52 PM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rude behavior aside, when something gets thrown all bets are off. You should definetely ruin his day.
Old 03-10-06, 04:53 PM
thebankman
Stooge

Bikes: one of each

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My most jaded of biking days came last week when a public bus driver honked at me for taking space on "his road", and then passed me, going the opposite direction from me so I'm not even in front of him any more, and flipped me off out his dinky little window. I just thought, well I've been flipped off by a bus driver, that's another notch on the wall. Smile, wave, and told him "buh bye" as I passed him. He gave me his best "eat sh&t" menacing glare, ha who cares what a jerk!
Old 03-10-06, 04:55 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
You may have missed it but the Department of Transportation has re listed bicycles as HAV's. Highly Annoying Vehicles. This give anyone in a car the right to yell at you, throw things at you or for that matter run you down and kill you with out any repercussions.

Since cyclists slow cars down by up to 10 seconds on their VIE's (very important errands) and of course don't pollute the air. The feds have decided that there is only one thing to do, and that is allow cagers to take us out. It's like hunters thinning the deer population so the don't starve to death.
That is funny!
Old 03-10-06, 05:02 PM
snowdog650

Bikes: Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wile e. coyote
Called the cops, and a trooper showed up at my house who was a biker. Gave me the name of the company the vehicle was registered to.
This Trooper is lucky to still have a job. He broke the law by giving you this information.
Old 03-10-06, 05:11 PM
crackerjab
WTF is that smell?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the deal with people throwing things from their cars? I mean seriously, do they realize the damage that soemthing like that could inflict?

I had somebody throw a beere bottle at me while they were going about 70mph. If that would have hit me it would've been really bad.
Old 03-10-06, 06:16 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
Most of these guys are so fat that they haven't seen their dicks in years and probably go home to an overweight *****ey wife who spends her days watching soaps and throwing down pork rinds. They look at us, we are fit and out enjoying life and it just pisses them off.
Either this, or they're meth-heads. The impatience, lack of sound judgement, and disregard for others are all typical behaviors of the high-speed drug crowd.
Old 03-10-06, 07:35 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I chased a car down once - they didn't realize they'd get caught at the light and underestimated the speed of a ticked off cyclist. It was some kids that looked pretty scared at the time.

I try to just smile and wave - but every once in a while...
Old 03-10-06, 07:55 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by snowdog650
This Trooper is lucky to still have a job. He broke the law by giving you this information.
Not in my state. Auto registrations are public records.
Old 03-10-06, 07:59 PM
vilelamb
I'll get there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
n/a

Last edited by vilelamb; 09-02-22 at 02:30 PM. Reason: silly post
Old 03-10-06, 08:02 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by snowdog650
Hmmm..... I was hit by debris coming off a flatbed semi once. Of course I was in my car, not on my bike. The debris caused a winshield crack and paint damage. I called the CHP with the CA DOT number on the truck, and they gave me company info over the phone. Routine.

I (my insurance company) contacted the company for resolution. Done deal - public record.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-10-06, 09:40 PM
jsf252
05' GIANT TCR2

Bikes: '05 Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerjab
What is the deal with people throwing things from their cars? I mean seriously, do they realize the damage that soemthing like that could inflict?

I had somebody throw a beere bottle at me while they were going about 70mph. If that would have hit me it would've been really bad.
I know a guy who caught a handful of skittles in the back while riding one day. Some people are just mean and think it's funny
Old 03-10-06, 10:37 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I feel hungry, hope I'm not starving!
Old 03-11-06, 07:22 AM
ghostdncr
Spinning my life away...

Bikes: Trek 4500, Gitane fixie, Cannondale/Seaco CAAD4 w/Campy Record (pending)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever seen what a 4' Kryptonite chain w/a disc lock will do to auto safety glass?...lmfao!
Old 03-11-06, 03:43 PM
snowdog650

Bikes: Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Hmmm..... I was hit by debris coming off a flatbed semi once. Of course I was in my car, not on my bike. The debris caused a winshield crack and paint damage. I called the CHP with the CA DOT number on the truck, and they gave me company info over the phone. Routine.

I (my insurance company) contacted the company for resolution. Done deal - public record.
Trust me. Not public record in CA. It probably should be for 99% of us ... but it is the 1% who will see a hot chick get in a car, get her plate #, and find out who she is and where she lives.

For the purposes outlined in this thread, I probably would have given the information out as well ... but am not legally allowed to. Commercial DOT registration numbers in CA are public, as they should be. Private plate numbers and registration information is not.