Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Custom racks for a Rene Herse

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-20-21, 02:01 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts

I received an email from the proprietor of BikeRecyclery out of Portland, Oregon, buying & selling high end vintage/used bike parts. Justyne found a well preserved, classic 650b Rene Herse. I was commissioned to make racks for this bike, with some links to the drawings of Daniel Rebour to go by - it's important to get the details right on classics! Like a guy wanting to impress on a first date, I took some time for a well-needed clean up of the Atelier prior to the drop off.

The bike already had some kludgey, TIG welded racks that were obviously not original, and didn't look right on the bike. One of the complications of making new custom racks is that the racks the bike was delivered with were attached to the fenders. We didn't want to make more holes in them, so I had to make the racks fit the fenders and frame.

First, the glamour shot, taken with the new racks.

The real McCoy

First up, the front rack. I'm using 1/4" thinwall stainless tubing on this job. It's harder to bend these square than one would think. I splice the ends together with a "one size down". I've beefed up the bit near the fork crown attachment point, and since I'm using silver to braze, I like to pin all the connections, as fillet brazed silver joints aren't as strong as brass.

I brazed on the stainless rack tabs to a length of tubing. I got the tabs from Mitch Pryor a couple of years ago, tragically not long before the Paradise fire wiped out his shop in Northern California. I think of the incredible rando bikes he used to build every time I use these bits, and I'm inspired. After brazing and clean up, these get matching bends to attach to the cantilever posts, and are cut and mitered at a complex angle to meet the deck, then are brazed to the deck while on the bike to ensure everything meets up perfectly. I fold up several layers of aluminum foil to mask off the areas I'm working on - don't want to torch the fender or paint! A tombstone is added off the frame to match the head tube angle.

Deflux and cleanup next

A vintage Radio headlamp was provided so a rack mount was brazed on.

Time for the rear rack build. The deck is built off of the bike along with one of the cross pieces installed. This is bolted up to one of the current fender hole. The second cross piece is made up separately and dry fitted to make sure the miters and length are perfect. This gets bolted to the frame, aluminum foil is packed around the fender to protect it from my Oxy-Acetylene flame, and brazed into position.

That extra bolt? Someone put it there to patch an old hole, I believe.

Brazing the stays onto the rear rack was a bit nerve-racking, since I'd be working very close to the rear dropouts and seat stays that had 70 year old paint.. I decided to keep the wheels on the bike to make sure the fender stayed center, as the rack is bolted on top of the fender. Aiming the flame away from the painted frame was important, even with the heavy duty, aluminum foil I used for masking. A quick hit on the thin aluminum blows out a hole quickly. I folded it up several times, even then I used up several "lives" when the flame got too close. Luckily there were several layers left to protect the frame. 1/4" tubing doesn't need a big flame, I use about the smallest one I can adjust my #0 tip down to for stainless rack building.

In situ rack building - the bike is the jig.

Completed rack
Old 11-20-21, 02:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
H**Y CRAP, that's fantastic!
Old 11-20-21, 02:14 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bike details

Most of you are probably less interested in seeing how a bike butcher from Portland builds a rack than seeing details of a 70 year old classic and rare Rene Herse, so here you go!

Custom hand filed lugs

Hand lettered logo

Drive train. Rene Herse cranks and front derailleur.

Maxi-car hubs

Rene Herse proprietary stem

Rene Herse brakes

It was an honor and a challenge to have someone trust a rare and classic bike to me for a pair of custom racks. I spent a lot more time than usual studying the design before starting. This one had to look right! Rather than creating a mirror finish on my buffing wheel, the owner and I decided to make the racks look like they were made 70 year ago, so I polished them up, then knocked down the finish with some scotchbrite and fine steel wool.
Old 11-20-21, 02:22 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

@gugie

Speaking for myself and the group.

I/we are always up for whatever you are working on. To have a go to fabricator/builder in our ranks and right here in PDX is golden for me.

If it was up to me, your publicist would chronicle and document all your projects and keep us updated weekly if not daily.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-20-21, 02:22 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Alors, c'est fantastique!
Old 11-20-21, 02:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Now Herse if I recall often threaded wires through the rack?
Theses are Stainless, and Herse made his as I recall with steel tubing and had them chrome plated...
The plan to just polish the heck out of them?
Old 11-20-21, 02:55 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by repechage
Now Herse if I recall often threaded wires through the rack?
Theses are Stainless, and Herse made his as I recall with steel tubing and had them chrome plated...
The plan to just polish the heck out of them?
Check the last sentence of post #3.
Old 11-20-21, 04:51 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Very cool, gugie ! :Thumb:
Old 11-20-21, 05:20 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Impressive work, Mark!
I was just thinking about you this morning while out on a ride - thinking about that Gillott Mixte you did for that customer in England.
The treatment you did to the stays to make the fat tires and fender work was audacious and so well executed.

Then to see this post when I got home. Very cool!
Old 11-20-21, 05:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Check the last sentence of post #3.
thanks. There will be a increasing visible difference at the junctions with time.

I really do not know which way to go if I was making the decisions. Tough call.
Old 11-20-21, 06:21 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by repechage
thanks. There will be a increasing visible difference at the junctions with time.

I really do not know which way to go if I was making the decisions. Tough call.
There's a reason why 95% of the racks I make are stainless steel and brazed with silver. Chrome is problematic. For one, I don't have a good chrome plater nearby, I'd have to ship it somewhere. Second, unless you've got an established relationship with a chromer, it may be months for turnaround. Third, it's not exactly environmentally friendly. I don't TIG, so brazing is how I join tubes.

Standard 4130 CrMo is stronger than the 304 and 316 stainless tubing I typically use, but it's "strong enough".

Silver based filler does oxidize, just like Grandma's silverwear. Since I pin most junctions, I don't need a fillet, and there's very little visible filler at the joints, maybe a mm or so visible. My oldest rack that I personally use is about 4 years old, you have to look closely to find the small tarnished joints.

The call's easy for me. Less costly, much more environmentally friendly, and I don't have to wait a long time for the chromer to finish the job. In this particular case, it also wouldn't look right - too bright for a 70 year old bike!

Someone wants a shiny rack from me, I'll go stainless. Someone wants a super strong rack for expedition touring, I'll use CrMo and have it powder coated. I've had a few old rando bikes with 40-50 year old chrome plated racks on them, and most had chrome pitting. Stainless won't ever do that.
Old 11-20-21, 07:29 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Nice work! I like your attention to detail and focus. Great pictures, and even though the pics look flawless, I’m pretty sure it looks much better in person, thank you for sharing. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-20-21, 07:45 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I looked three times. The rear rack is supported only by the drop out rings and the fender!

(Am i the only one who wants to see the discarded racks?)
Old 11-20-21, 08:05 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
There's a reason why 95% of the racks I make are stainless steel and brazed with silver. Chrome is problematic. For one, I don't have a good chrome plater nearby, I'd have to ship it somewhere. Second, unless you've got an established relationship with a chromer, it may be months for turnaround. Third, it's not exactly environmentally friendly. I don't TIG, so brazing is how I join tubes.

Standard 4130 CrMo is stronger than the 304 and 316 stainless tubing I typically use, but it's "strong enough".

Silver based filler does oxidize, just like Grandma's silverwear. Since I pin most junctions, I don't need a fillet, and there's very little visible filler at the joints, maybe a mm or so visible. My oldest rack that I personally use is about 4 years old, you have to look closely to find the small tarnished joints.

The call's easy for me. Less costly, much more environmentally friendly, and I don't have to wait a long time for the chromer to finish the job. In this particular case, it also wouldn't look right - too bright for a 70 year old bike!

Someone wants a shiny rack from me, I'll go stainless. Someone wants a super strong rack for expedition touring, I'll use CrMo and have it powder coated. I've had a few old rando bikes with 40-50 year old chrome plated racks on them, and most had chrome pitting. Stainless won't ever do that.
Great work!
Old 11-20-21, 08:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Classtime
I looked three times. The rear rack is supported only by the drop out rings and the fender!

(Am i the only one who wants to see the discarded racks?)
Yep! That was typical BITD.

Here's the "original" front rack:

Most likely a VO rack that was mutilated.
Old 11-20-21, 08:40 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Typical Gugie-level attention to detail. Chapeau, Sir!
Old 11-20-21, 11:00 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 2,599 Posts
Cino ready!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-21-21, 12:39 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Excellent post and your detailed explanation is appreciated. Your efforts are an inspiration for the rest of us, thank you!
Old 11-21-21, 09:24 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Stainless can be a bit of a pain to form for sure. Everything looks fantastic here. I think you've absolutely done the bike justice with these racks. How nerve racking the torch work must have been.
Old 11-21-21, 10:25 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Very well done. I just built my first front rack after building a couple of frames and forks. I can see building many more. One question, what tooling did you use for the larger radius bends in the rear rack?
Old 11-21-21, 11:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Cynikal
Very well done. I just built my first front rack after building a couple of frames and forks. I can see building many more. One question, what tooling did you use for the larger radius bends in the rear rack?
I make wooden "pulleys" with hole saws of various diameters, a router with a 45 degree chamfer bit. Two of them sandwiched together with screws and glue and a big vise.

More details here.
Old 11-21-21, 12:50 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
very nice work Mark ! On account of the rear rack mounting (dropouts and fenders only) "randonneur" racks like this are not really intended for heavy loads, like camping panniers.

Very clever work on tacking the rack together on the frame. I like your bending mandrel.

/markp
Old 11-21-21, 01:39 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Well done! Must have been fun/stressful to work on a such an archetypal Herse. Especially cool to have contributed to the history of that bike now, too.
Old 11-21-21, 01:54 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I make wooden "pulleys" with hole saws of various diameters, a router with a 45 degree chamfer bit. Two of them sandwiched together with screws and glue and a big vise.

More details here.
Thanks, that is really helpful.
Old 11-21-21, 01:54 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
uhh... nice rack.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.