Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cold weather fork storage.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-10-22, 02:53 PM
nodnerb

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts

Hi all. Wondering how cold is too cold for a suspension fork to be stored? It is finally nice enough to get my new ride out of the basement and go on some light rides and after put in the garage. It is still getting to a degree or two below freezing overnight. Can that cause damage to the fork seals etc? It is a fox 34 step cast.
Thanks!
Old 04-10-22, 04:49 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I have had four suspension forks which I store in my unheated garage. The temperatures here are similar to southern Manitoba, so it will get down to -30C inside the garage a few times a year but it is mostly between -10C and -20C.

I have had two Marzocchi 320LCR forks. One suffered a failure of the air spring on a very cold day. The other is still in working order, although it is not currently installed on a bike. The remaining one is about five years old.

I have an Ohlins coil spring fork which is four years old and which is ridden mostly off road and fairly hard. It is just fine.

I have a Wren inverted fork on my fat tire bike. It has dual air chamber springs. It has two winters on it and it is just fine.

I might point out that automobile suspension dampers are often stored outside at -40C and operated at that temperature with no adverse consequences.
Old 04-10-22, 06:45 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
I have an old Rocshock Tora I carry on my roof and ride when it is below freezing.
Old 04-11-22, 09:59 AM
nodnerb

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Ok thanks for the replies. I have seen mention before about not storing in cold climates for extended periods but I'm not sure how true that is, as you both have pointed out. I did store my old bike (rockhopper pro with a RS Recon fork) in the garage all winter. While the fork works the lockout stopped working and I'd read it may be because of the cold storage. Just want to be sure I don't ruin my new fox fork! I'll probably keep it in the house for the bulk of winter and then won't worry about the mild cold temps in fall/spring.
Old 04-11-22, 05:00 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
The highest low rating for hydraulic seals I have ever seen is around 10ºF with most better seals, polyU/Nitrile, -40ºF so you should be OK.
Old 04-11-22, 06:53 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
An attached garage will also be generally warmer than outside temperature