Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

FSA Vero crankset replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 08:38 AM
VictorYlap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FSA Vero crankset replacement?

Hi guys,

Fairly new to the velodrome, got my first (track) bike and looking into possibly replacing stock cranks.

Here's the thing: I got a Merida Reacto Track 500, it comes with FSA Vero cranks with BCD 130. BCD 130 chainrings are simply not available anywhere here, while BCD 144 rings can be borrowed in the club or bought second-hand for cheap. I've swapped the stock 46T 3/32 ring for a 48T 1/8 (had to order it), but now my coach wants me to get a bigger chainring, and I'm considering replacing the crankset with a standard BCD 144 rather then keeping lurking for pricey BCD 130 parts.
I'm trying to do this on budget, including keeping the stock square taper BB (JIS? No info re BB on Merida website, but FSA Vero is listed as JIS-compatible), as this is a new hobby, and a $500 bike, so I'm not looking to invest like $300+ into a Sugino crankset. Any advice? I've found a Stronglight Track 2000 for an ok price, is it any good?

Some background: coming from road cycling (never participated in anything competitive, just for fun), considering getting into amateur track racing eventually (interested in shorter/sprinting events).
Old 12-07-18, 03:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
The FSA Vero crank was made for street fixed gears that don't do gear changes like track racers do. Don't throw good money after bad tweaking that system.

I'd suggest stopping now and investing in a quality crankset that you'll use for years. I know one guy that was racing on the same Campy Pista cranks he rode in the 70's.

You don't need to have Dura Ace or Campy, but a quality set will be a "buy it for life" thing. And they will have fairly high resale value if you upgrade or leave the sport.

I'm a fan of Dura Ace for the reasons stated above. But, there are lots of good options that aren't as expensive. Maybe others can comment.

Track is less expensive than road or MTB equipment, but there is a minimum amount of equipment that you'll need to get going. It's tough to do it on the dirt cheap.
Old 12-07-18, 04:18 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Track can be less expensive than road or MTB equipment, but there is a minimum amount of equipment that you'll need to get going. It's tough to do it on the dirt cheap.
FIFY.

OP, look at Sram Omniums or the new Vision Track crankset. They will meet your needs and can be had for a lot less than a Sugino or DuraAce, but you will have to swap BBs.
Old 12-07-18, 08:16 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another spec you need to be concerned about is BB spindle length. Both cranksets you mention are square taper JIS. The Stronglight Track 2000 uses a 107mm spindle. I couldn't find a spec for the FSA Vero. If this is off, you won't have the correct chainline.

https://www.velodrome.shop/track-cha...2000-chainset/
Old 12-18-18, 07:51 AM
VictorYlap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your input. Turns out that BBs are not that expensive, so I'll consider getting a non-JIS crankset.
Found an ad for a used 165 mm FC-7710 @ $200 nearby...