Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Hope RX4 Calipers Gut Check

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 02:00 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
EU companies are not as draconian as American ones. The owner of my shop loves hope stuff but even he says to just buy the stuff from the UK as it's way cheaper than what he can sell at. He says that hope USA has no issues with warranty for stuff bought overseas.

I got a pair of Magura mt7s from Germany recently while my wife was on a business trip and I called Magura usa to ask them about warranty and they said they stand by their product no matter where it was purchased.

Only company that pulls the warranty garbage is sram.
Old 08-28-19, 11:43 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
EU companies are not as draconian as American ones. The owner of my shop loves hope stuff but even he says to just buy the stuff from the UK as it's way cheaper than what he can sell at. He says that hope USA has no issues with warranty for stuff bought overseas.

I got a pair of Magura mt7s from Germany recently while my wife was on a business trip and I called Magura usa to ask them about warranty and they said they stand by their product no matter where it was purchased.

Only company that pulls the warranty garbage is sram.
No...most companies do.

I had to RMA a broken Chorus 11s FD to the UK and pay $40USD in shipping and wait 2 months (in round-trip transit time) for a replacement, as Campagnolo USA wouldn't even talk to me. SOP is to always seek warranty through your retailer, not the manufacturer. You bought the part from the EU, be prepared to always have to RMA internationally.
Old 08-28-19, 06:58 PM
jax510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bryan,

I am curious what your experience is to date with the Hope RX4s vs the stock SRAM Force Caliper? I am seriously considering this upgrade on my gravel bike. I find the Force calipers sketchy at best on long gravel descents.
Old 08-30-19, 11:49 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jax510
Hey Bryan,

I am curious what your experience is to date with the Hope RX4s vs the stock SRAM Force Caliper? I am seriously considering this upgrade on my gravel bike. I find the Force calipers sketchy at best on long gravel descents.
The OEM Sram Force brakes lacked any real modulation or power. For a rider of my size, 225 lbs, and the steep terrain I ride in it just wasn't working very well. I took a gamble on the Hope RX4 calipers rather than swap out what is still a pretty new drivetrain.

With the new calipers there is definitely more power and better modulation compared to the Force calipers. Certainly worth the time and money to upgrade. And they look great with the bore caps swapped out.

The Sram and Shimano versions use different length pads but the width is the same. That being said I would recommend using Hope rotors as they appear to have a wider braking surface to take advantage of the wider pads.

I opted for the XTR rotors since Hope doesn't make centerlock rotors and preferred not to use the 6 bolt adapters. The pads appear to be wider than the XTR rotor brake surface area.

My Diverge with XTR rotors and Hope RX4 calipers
Old 05-09-20, 11:47 PM
ttidders

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trp hylex rx4

My current bike has Hylex leavers with di2 mount and rx4 Calipers running amazingly
Old 11-02-20, 11:46 AM
loranbriggs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone get these to work on IS mounts?

I have a 2020 (green) All City Gorilla Monsoon and I would love to use Hope's RX4 calipers but I have IS tabs on my fork and what looks like post mount on the rear. Has anyone been able to fit RX4 calipers to post mount? The caliper looks pretty large so it might have clearance issues with the 160mm adapter, but I was thinking a 180mm adapter might be able to clear it. Curious if anyone else has done this. Thanks.
Old 11-03-20, 06:33 AM
jax510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RX4 Brake Pads for SRAM Version

Hi - I was just about to make the leap and by the RX4 calipers for SRAM. However, I have noticed it’s near impossible to find a source for brake pads. The E4 pad for Shimano is very easy to source, but I can’t find pads for the SRAM model. Any tips or pointers? Thanks!
Old 11-03-20, 07:45 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by jax510
Hi - I was just about to make the leap and by the RX4 calipers for SRAM. However, I have noticed it’s near impossible to find a source for brake pads. The E4 pad for Shimano is very easy to source, but I can’t find pads for the SRAM model. Any tips or pointers? Thanks!
Replacement pads for the Sram calipers are limited to Hope pads only. I was able to track them down through Merlin Cycles in the UK. My issue with them is the lack of aftermarket pads available. Seems like Hope made a 1-off pad size and nobody makes an improved pad. The OEM pads, both the red and blue, are noisy and chewed up my shimano brake rotors. But, they do work much better than the Sram brakes they replaced.
Old 11-03-20, 07:47 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by loranbriggs
I have a 2020 (green) All City Gorilla Monsoon and I would love to use Hope's RX4 calipers but I have IS tabs on my fork and what looks like post mount on the rear. Has anyone been able to fit RX4 calipers to post mount? The caliper looks pretty large so it might have clearance issues with the 160mm adapter, but I was thinking a 180mm adapter might be able to clear it. Curious if anyone else has done this. Thanks.
Hope does make an RX4 post mount caliper.

https://www.hopetech.com/products/br...mount-caliper/
Old 11-04-20, 12:28 PM
jax510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
As with everything, your mileage may vary.

Zero noise issues with the OEM pads here.

They also haven't chewed up my Sram rotors.
Which Rotors are you using? Thanks!
Old 11-04-20, 12:30 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
As with everything, your mileage may vary.

Zero noise issues with the OEM pads here.

They also haven't chewed up my Sram rotors.
That's a valid point to make. I've often wondered about how they would fare with a more robust solid stainless brake rotor. I still have the calipers and Force 1 groupset waiting for a new build, which will definitely include new rotors of some sort.
Old 04-05-21, 01:44 AM
oxi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttidders
My current bike has Hylex leavers with di2 mount and rx4 Calipers running amazingly
I am extremely interested in this. I have the old TRP hylex brake levers (the ones without the holes in them) and callipers. One of the callipers is bust so looking to replace.
Could you give me more details about this combination? Like which version of the RX4 is compatible? And what kind of hose did you use?
Old 05-25-21, 03:21 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I'm interested in these too. My SRAM Rival brakes cramp up my hands on the long dirt descents. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, they have basically been out of stock globally for many months. If anyone knows where to get some SRAM compatible calipers, I'm a buyer.