Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 01:59 PM
davedela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Social reflection

Originally Posted by Mark Isaak
Roadies that can't be bothered to acknowledge another rider. No wave, no nod, nothing.
At least where I live I think Roadies are probably a bit better than society in general when it comes to common courtesy. That being said there are plenty of problematic riders that seem too self absorbed to care about others. It's reflected by their lack of friendliness and lack of respect for the rules of the road. Maybe one in ten falls into that category where I live, but they are the ones we remember. I'll bet if I were walking in a public area, maybe only six in ten of the general public would return a hello or a nod.
Likes For davedela:
Old 01-01-21, 02:30 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
why the hate for Thompson set back seat posts?
Not hate or questioning of their quality, I find them aestethically failed (or just ugly).
Old 01-01-21, 02:37 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Cold and raining makes for a pissy cyclist.

Call this a vent thread.
Excuses, excuses....

25 miles this morning with an avg temp of 25 degrees. I'm a happy cyclist!

Old 01-01-21, 02:38 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Not hate or questioning of their quality, I find them aestethically failed (or just ugly).
+1 to the setback one being odd. The zero setback one on the other hand, is great!
Likes For masi61:
Old 01-01-21, 02:53 PM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
Ginormous headtubes and steerers on skinny tubed steel bikes and steel forks really grinds my gears!
Surly Midnight Special and the bike in post #190 as examples.
Old 01-01-21, 04:11 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I agree with having the right jersey to go with a nice bike.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
regarding wearing a team jersey...

It is fun to have the right jersey to go with a nice bike, such as my Raleigh Team bike. I've actually got a few vintage team jerseys to go with it.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 01-01-21, 05:39 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,061 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
+1 to the setback one being odd. The zero setback one on the other hand, is great!
Yes.
Prettiest modern post? Thomson. Fine precision machining at its best.

Ugliest modern post? Thomson Set back. Honestly, who ever thought that a bent pipe was cool?
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 01-01-21, 06:05 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
Electronic ******** Shifting
We are turning our bikes into mini motorcycles. The beauty of bikes was the mechanical simplicity. And between this, and now people riding e-bikes on bike paths, cycling is turning more and more into something I do not recognize. And the worst part? The industry is going to sour people to the sport because most people are not dedicated bikers, and the more difficult you make it to just get on a bike and ride, the less people will ride. Batteries have limited lives, and, by the way, are toxic for the environment.

Disc Brakes:
There is NO need for disc brakes, and all the people saying so are lying to themselves. I have never once ever felt under braked, even heading down roads such as the road on Mt. Evans.

E-Bikes
I get it, for older folks who need some assistance. But for everyone else, they are buying glorified scooters. They should not be allowed on MUPs, and there is nothing more annoying than seeing some overweight middle aged dude soft pedaling up a hill when what he really needs, is to actually exercise.

Lack of Velodromes
It would be nice for municipalities to invest in velodromes, as they are a great place for kids to learn to ride, ride in a pack, and develop some bike skills without having to be out in traffic. Rather than another stupid baseball field, can we please see communities invest in velodromes.

Brooks B17 Saddles
I am sorry....unpopular but B17 saddles aesthetically make bikes look like the bike needs to drop a deuce.

Ill Fitting Bike Clothing
Bulky, ill-fitting bike clothing. Someone above complained about tight clothing....I am the opposite. Wear clothes that actually fit, and not burlap sacks.

People Who Do Not Support Local Bike Shops
Especially the ones who will use the LBS to get assistance on what they need, and then go buy it online.
I agree with all the above, except the bit about B17 saddles. I think they look great, but that’s just me.

i especially agree with your comment about e-bikes. I am an older rider, I “sport” seven coronary stents, I have asthma and diabetes T2. I still pedal my bikes, up and down hills, under my own power. Yes, I am slower than I was 10 years ago...BUT no e-bikes for this senior citizen. The day that I cannot pedal my bikes entirely under my own power I will get a Vespa (Celeste of course) and just ride around.

I too can’t stand the overweight, out of shape riders, wearing flip flops and acting all cool as they pass by riders who are actually working. I am glad that they are out getting some fresh air...but IMHO they are not cyclists. Let the hate start...

More exercise and less battery assist is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 01-01-21 at 06:44 PM.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 01-01-21, 06:10 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Yes.

Ugliest modern post? Thomson Set back. Honestly, who ever thought that a bent pipe was cool?
ME!!

The horror, a seatpost that puts the saddle where my knees need it. LOL!

Honestly though, if other manufacturers could keep current stock on their silver seatposts maybe there wouldn't be so many setback Thomsen's out there. I've never had a problem getting a Thomsen when I needed it and at a decent price. Can't say that for anyone else. Not counting Kalloy of course, LOL!
Old 01-01-21, 06:29 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Wide, thick crankarms. Yuck. They make me want to get a can of RAID and spray like crazy!
Old 01-01-21, 06:33 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,795 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
ME!!

Honestly though, if other manufacturers could keep current stock on their silver seatposts maybe there wouldn't be so many setback Thomsen's out there. I've never had a problem getting a Thomsen when I needed it and at a decent price. Can't say that for anyone else. Not counting Kalloy of course, LOL!
x2

Honestly, at the time, there was no other 30.6 silver with setback.
ps. The bar tape has changed to less ugly.

Cinelli XCR with Super Record 001 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 01-01-21, 06:34 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,795 Times in 1,408 Posts
Honestly, who ever thought that a bent pipe was cool?
That's what she said.
Likes For iab:
Old 01-01-21, 07:03 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
The many vendors who seem not to stock tubes with short Presta stems.
Most modern rims have aero, deep profiles, unless the manufacturer is specifically selling a new rim as a "retro" style "box" section rim. That's why, 99% of inner tubes and tubular tires stocked by bike shops have too.long a valve stem (Never mind the bit of reciprocating weight it adds to your wheels that you are trying to keep as light as possible.) for most C&V rims.......which kinda suuucks.......
Old 01-01-21, 07:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Excuses, excuses....

25 miles this morning with an avg temp of 25 degrees. I'm a happy cyclist!

Sun?
Luxury!
Old 01-01-21, 07:57 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jingy2
Ginormous headtubes and steerers on skinny tubed steel bikes and steel forks really grinds my gears!
Surly Midnight Special and the bike in post #190 as examples.
Yes.

I think the large headtube works if the fork is a "unicorn" fork, and when the bike is a cross or gravel bike.

I think the set-back Thompson seat posts make a bike look faster.....almost as if the speed of the bike is causing the seat post to bend.
Old 01-01-21, 07:58 PM
Het Volk

ME!!

Setback seat posts look awesome. Don't let these people get to you.
Old 01-01-21, 08:22 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by th0m
It's purely an aesthetical thing and I of course realise that not all people can or want to ride with a more aggressive setup. I just can't help thinking "oh, what a shame" everytime I see a potentially beautiful road bike set up that way.
I agree with Thom - it's the aesthetics.. For some it's painful to ride and others painful to look at...
Old 01-01-21, 08:27 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by gugie
Sun?
Luxury!
LOL, No weather stops a happy, positive cyclist.

Embrace the cold, the rain, free your soul!

Positive lives in the heart, not in the sun! Well, it also lives in good steel but....

Old 01-01-21, 08:40 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
i especially agree with your comment about e-bikes. Let the hate start...
Appears it already has.
So, you already feel superior, but want everyone to know it.
Old 01-01-21, 08:56 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
No hate for e-bikes here. But to me they are not bicycles, just light electric motorcycles.
They have a motor, bicycles don't.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 01-01-21, 09:29 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Appears it already has.
I'm guessing the flip flop reference hit home.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-01-21, 09:52 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Appears it already has.
No hate.....but they are not cyclists in the same way that no one considers the Derny bike to be a track bike.
Old 01-01-21, 10:25 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
My daughter has the nice bike (Raleigh Team Professional) but not the right jersey. I will need to work on that for her.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
regarding wearing a team jersey...

It is fun to have the right jersey to go with a nice bike, such as my Raleigh Team bike. I've actually got a few vintage team jerseys to go with it.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-01-21, 10:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
I agree with Thom - it's the aesthetics.. For some it's painful to ride and others painful to look at...
Then by all means, look away and count yourself lucky that you don't have to skew the aesthetics so to ride the frames you want.

And believe me, I'm all about the aesthetics until they have to be compromised, then all bets are off.

I could just as easily reset these to look normal for pics but then we would miss out on all this witty banter.
Old 01-02-21, 08:29 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,061 Posts
Bar tape, saddle, cables and tires should all match.
And be black.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.