Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seeking paint shop in Panama City, FL

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-15-21, 11:51 AM
PaulB777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone.

I just relocated from Atlanta, GA to Panama City Beach, FL. I've been riding since I was 5 and have always owned bikes and pretty much ridden everywhere (US, Europe, Middle East, et al). I'm a life long roadie but my wife is not into that kind of cycling. She does however like to ride the local areas, especially around the beaches. So while I was in Atlanta I was able to get a pre-owned beach cruiser bike for her. It's in pretty good shape but I'm going to have it tuned up (chain, tires, cables, etc.). The paint is in pretty good shape but I'd like to get it renewed, and so I'm trying to find a shop that paints bikes. Preferably in the Panama City area but if I must ship it off I'm certainly open to it.

Any suggestions from the crowd?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-21, 12:15 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
You'd probably get a better response if you posted this in the "Regional Discussions/Southeast" thread (above this 'General Discussions" thread). Also consider getting the frame powdercoated. Its a pretty ballistic coating material and usually cheaper than a full paint job (strip, prime, paint). As for painting, ask at local auto body shops and see if they'll do it. Sometimes they'll give you a discount if you want it sprayed in a color they are currently scheduled to do on a car.
Old 05-15-21, 12:20 PM
PaulB777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
You'd probably get a better response if you posted this in the "Regional Discussions/Southeast" thread (above this 'General Discussions" thread). Also consider getting the frame powdercoated. Its a pretty ballistic coating material and usually cheaper than a full paint job (strip, prime, paint). As for painting, ask at local auto body shops and see if they'll do it. Sometimes they'll give you a discount if you want it sprayed in a color they are currently scheduled to do on a car.
Thanks Skidder. I did search and since I didn't find anything relevant I defaulted to the general category. Thanks so much for the input - very helpful! I hadn't thought about a body shop so I will look into that option. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-21, 06:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
A quality wet paint job, no matter where done, will usually be more expensive than powdercoat by a long shot and I dont know of a beach cruiser made that would be worth it.
Either way plan on removing (or masking) and reinstalling all parts that won't get painted, ie sending in a bare frame and fork.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...paint-job.html

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-painted.html

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...them-here.html
Old 05-15-21, 11:22 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
I once had a Pinarello painted by Cole in the Miami area, but he no longer seems to be around. It is a shame, because he did a wonderful black paint job with a mix of dark purple, and just a touch of sparkle. A few coats of clear over the decals and the bike looked incredible, and the paint was very durable. He applied a small decal on the back of the seat tube which said *Paint by Cole,* I didn't mind, he deserved the advertising for the quality of work he did.

You can get your frame painted at a good car body shop, most will do a far better job than you can do yourself. But if you are handy, you can do it yourself and get good results if you use the right paint. My last paint job was on Columbus tubed Atala. I used 3M gasket remover to remove the old paint, and used canned spray lacquer which I bought at an auto parts store. A good result depends on good preparation. I removed every trace of the old paint (which was not hard with the 3M stripper, it left only the bare metal), and making sure there was no trace of oil or grease. The next step to a good finish was painting on a cool and dry day, which can be hard in Florida. If the day is too humid, the paint will dry with some haze in it. If you spray right, you can get a mirror like shine. With lacquer you can sand and buff out imperfections, and drying time is minimal. On the negative side, lacquer is easy to scratch.
Old 05-16-21, 06:11 AM
PaulB777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I once had a Pinarello painted by Cole in the Miami area, but he no longer seems to be around. It is a shame, because he did a wonderful black paint job with a mix of dark purple, and just a touch of sparkle. A few coats of clear over the decals and the bike looked incredible, and the paint was very durable. He applied a small decal on the back of the seat tube which said *Paint by Cole,* I didn't mind, he deserved the advertising for the quality of work he did.

You can get your frame painted at a good car body shop, most will do a far better job than you can do yourself. But if you are handy, you can do it yourself and get good results if you use the right paint. My last paint job was on Columbus tubed Atala. I used 3M gasket remover to remove the old paint, and used canned spray lacquer which I bought at an auto parts store. A good result depends on good preparation. I removed every trace of the old paint (which was not hard with the 3M stripper, it left only the bare metal), and making sure there was no trace of oil or grease. The next step to a good finish was painting on a cool and dry day, which can be hard in Florida. If the day is too humid, the paint will dry with some haze in it. If you spray right, you can get a mirror like shine. With lacquer you can sand and buff out imperfections, and drying time is minimal. On the negative side, lacquer is easy to scratch.
Thanks 50Plus. Sounds like the body shop is going to be the best bet. No shortage of options in the area. I'm pretty handy but just don't have the space or time to do it.