Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-16-21, 07:18 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
There is a beeping in my house. I think in the kitchen from attempting to track it down. It is not the smoke detector. It is not the oven, microwave, dishwasher, or fridge. It isn't regular intervals, sometimes it stops for a while, sometimes it's a few back to back, sometimes it's loud, sometimes it's quiet.

If you were designing a sound to be untraceable, this is how you'd do it. Which reminds me that years ago when I was at an old job, someone used their Arduino and a speaker to make something very similar. It was random in intensity and frequency and very hard to locate, the frequency was very low, so once you heard it you'd have to wait a while to try to locate it. It worked pretty well at driving people crazy.
Old 06-17-21, 09:37 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I hate that. It's something driven by a battery. We used to get a weird chirp and it took me forever to figure it out but we have a little power station thing/car battery for campers that we take to races to have charging capability for the team and when it ran low it would chirp once every 10 minutes or so. It would go away as we would randomly charge it for an event. I just happened to be standing next to it when it chirped one time and I knew there was absolutely nothing else electric around in the area.

Good luck

Old 06-17-21, 12:04 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Saw finger surgeon again today; fresh x-rays look great! Instructed to do the physiotherapy exercises 6 times a day.

I got cleared to ride outside again (with a splint) which is nice.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 06-17-21, 01:46 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
My wife and I ride pursuit (fixed gear no brakes) and time trial bikes in pace lines all the time.
You all are the elite and rare exception to the rule.

These folks I mention locally aren't that skilled. Track skills like you mention above are beyond anything I've seen in person on a TT bike. I'd put a dollar on it that most of them would chicken out on just an average eastern NC windy day on a 60mm front wheel. Much less a 90mm. Get that gangster lean going on. Embrace the semi truck that passes you.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-17-21, 01:53 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

I'm having a "I want to punch the world in the face" kind of day. Anymore I try and reverse that energy so I share with all of you: Best wishes to you all on having a wonderful day. may it be amazing and if challenging may the challenge be rewarding.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-18-21, 06:48 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You all are the elite and rare exception to the rule.

These folks I mention locally aren't that skilled. Track skills like you mention above are beyond anything I've seen in person on a TT bike. I'd put a dollar on it that most of them would chicken out on just an average eastern NC windy day on a 60mm front wheel. Much less a 90mm. Get that gangster lean going on. Embrace the semi truck that passes you.
But how often are there big crashes on these rides? I've seen them around here for years now, but I rarely hear of may catastrophes from them.
Old 06-18-21, 06:55 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
unexpected day off for me today due to new holiday. but kid gets out early from school today so not enough time to venture out for long
Old 06-18-21, 07:16 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
When we moved from one house to the next I needed to replace smoke detectors in order to get a CO. I do so, but developed a chirp. Since the system is all hooked together (or so it seemed) I couldn't figure where the chirp we emanating from. I tried for hours. I mean, seriously, hours. At some point I went to toss something away in the kitchen trash can and 'chirp.' It was one of the detectors I had replaced and thrown away.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 06-18-21, 08:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
But how often are there big crashes on these rides? I've seen them around here for years now, but I rarely hear of may catastrophes from them.
Usually more than one a year. With Covid stuff and no rides for a year, obviously nothing to speak of for 2020. But 2019 there was more than one.

This came up on Bikeforums a while back, I think a local guy to me disagreed with me that had gone to that ride.........but it's the Inside Out Sports group ride out of Cary. It's just my opinion and I won't go back to it.

I formed my opinion after I went to it once and decided to instead ride solo and follow behind after watching during the "rollout". I know some locals really like that ride and speak fine of it. But what I saw was a damned mess. Maybe I caught a bad night. Sure, some strong folks might get off front and then be out of the "mess" but I'd rather not count on that probability for a safe ride.

In terms of a "sketchy" rating from zero to 5, I'd say that ride is a solid 3.5 to 4.0. Our weeknight worlds our team runs I'd give a 1.5 out of 5.0 simply because it is still a "worlds" and not a workout rotation. The difference in discipline between the two is just night and day.

I totally get riding a TT bike using the Di2 with hands on the brakes. Even during the rollout I saw folks hammering around in the aerobars mid-group. Looking like a Cat 5 road race with TT bikes mixed it.

So I said "hell no" and dropped back and rode alone and chose to not return.

There is now a guy doing a once or twice a month club TT local to me I go do and then I do our team's weeknight worlds.
Old 06-18-21, 09:47 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Our group rides are typically safe but things happen so we get a few crashes a year. I've learned if you crash no ones going to stop which is kind of sad. We had a guy (no one knew him) who was pushed off the road and into the gutter. He was probably inexperienced didn't push back into the guy. Someone was making a pass over the centerline and with an oncoming car he went back over in and forced everyone to the right. At Worlds is we have 2 blind corners that racers rail at 30+ mph. People have been hit there and I make sure I'm not the first in a group making that turn.

The 2 biggest issues I have is in our weekend ride when it splits from a single ride to A and B, riders in the A ride have to be up front or they'll get dropped before it starts so they try to weave through a peloton of 100 riders and we usually get at least 1 crash a season at that spot. It can easily be prevented by neutralizing that area and letting the A riders get up front but that ride has been doing that way for 30 years so its not going to change.

The other is we have a few guys that consistently overlap wheels, they won't listen if someone corrects them. One guy went down three times.
Old 06-18-21, 10:10 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
In other news our velodrome is opening back up for mass stat races again. This is huge for us. It has been open for a few weeks for timed events only with strict protocols. Protocols will still exist but racing will be fairly good and open for vaccinated racers. This has made my day.
Is that Northbrook?
Old 06-18-21, 10:24 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by cmh
Is that Northbrook?
ab-so-tively

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-18-21, 11:02 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
When we moved from one house to the next I needed to replace smoke detectors in order to get a CO. I do so, but developed a chirp. Since the system is all hooked together (or so it seemed) I couldn't figure where the chirp we emanating from. I tried for hours. I mean, seriously, hours. At some point I went to toss something away in the kitchen trash can and 'chirp.' It was one of the detectors I had replaced and thrown away.
My beeping seems to have stopped. I don't know if this is good or bad.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 06-18-21, 11:11 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
My beeping seems to have stopped. I don't know if this is good or bad.
If you're still posting, I'd take it as good news.
Old 06-18-21, 05:41 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by ntnyln
If you're still posting, I'd take it as good news.
My concern is that it's the sump pump possibly, but it's about a 50 foot crawl under a short floor to go check it, so I'm not looking forward to it.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 06-20-21, 08:44 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
well I have to brace myself to make my wife feel like crap. She got me a mtb for father's day, but it's a gt aggressor from dicks, so even though I wouldn't mind going for a big box mtb (I'm intrigued by the current crop of schwinn stuff for their upgradability), I really wouldn't have picked the GT. So I have a brand new bike sitting in a box she brought in and she's wondering why I haven't jumped to unpack it.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-20-21, 10:57 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
well I have to brace myself to make my wife feel like crap. She got me a mtb for father's day, but it's a gt aggressor from dicks, so even though I wouldn't mind going for a big box mtb (I'm intrigued by the current crop of schwinn stuff for their upgradability), I really wouldn't have picked the GT. So I have a brand new bike sitting in a box she brought in and she's wondering why I haven't jumped to unpack it.
Ouch. Good luck.

Buying a bike for a cyclist, without input, seems like an obvious thing to avoid.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 06-20-21, 05:06 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
That's a huge bummer. We're there for you in spirit.
Old 06-20-21, 05:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hooboy. Good luck.
Old 06-20-21, 05:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We’ll probably make a Chicago trip later this summer to look at colleges and visit relatives. My Uncle Mike happens to live in Northbrook. Are they still doing novice sessions?
Old 06-20-21, 05:52 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Dropped my chain doing front shifts a few times over the last two rides.

Looked up the bike record on Strava, apparently the chainrings have 26,710 Km on them (original rings on a CAAD 10). Might be the issue.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 06-20-21, 06:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Dropped my chain doing front shifts a few times over the last two rides.

Looked up the bike record on Strava, apparently the chainrings have 26,710 Km on them (original rings on a CAAD 10). Might be the issue.
My bikes are all pretty worn out and the Seven was dropping the chain to the inside pretty often and I adjusted the stop screw as tight as I could get it where it would still shift and it hasn't dropped the chain since.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-21-21, 08:26 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
My wife is bad at buying gifts. Always has been. I'm pretty sure I returned the first dozen gifts she bought me when we started dating. It was awkward.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-21, 09:27 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Good luck hubcyclist. If you return the bike for a different mtb, then your wife gets the message that she bought you something you really want, just didn't quite get the right fit. Just make sure she knows that you know that she tried really hard.

Last edited by cmh; 06-21-21 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For cmh:
Old 06-21-21, 10:04 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Likes For gsteinb:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.