Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Restaurant delivery car parked in bike lane. Posted picture on Google map reviews.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Restaurant delivery car parked in bike lane. Posted picture on Google map reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-21, 07:21 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
It's not really a bike lane if cars are parked there. Either we have bike lanes to encourage people to ride bicycles or we don't and we let people park their cars there.
False dichotomy.

The delivery trucks aren’t really parking either.
Old 06-05-21, 10:23 AM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
False dichotomy.

The delivery trucks aren’t really parking either.

Your disingenuous attempts to draw a meaningful distinction between illegal stopping and illegal parking is a false dichotomy.
Old 06-05-21, 11:37 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Yes. I have not seen any more Benny BBQ restaurant vehicles parked in the bike lane.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-05-21, 07:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Big city problems. Come out here to small town America and you don't have to worry about such things.
I think it's even narrower than a big city problem, it's really just a CBD or dense housing area problem. My experience is that unprotected bike lanes are generally useless in such areas because of the proliferation of Amazon vehicles, mail trucks, buses, and the like, and I'll generally ignore the bike lane and ride somewhere to the left. But I don't ride in NYC where their use is mandatory.

To be honest, the food delivery people aren't even on my radar, the proliferation of Amazon and UPS vans is a long-term trend that started years before COVID, and I don't see brick and mortar stores making any kind of comeback in the foreseeable future.

My opinion is that bike lanes work best in the places they're not needed.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-05-21 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-05-21, 07:57 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think it's even narrower than a big city problem, it's really just a CBD or dense housing area problem. My experience is that unprotected bike lanes are generally useless in such areas because of the proliferation of Amazon vehicles, mail trucks, buses, and the like, and I'll generally ignore the bike lane and ride somewhere to the left. But I don't ride in NYC where their use is mandatory.

My opinion is that bike lanes work best in the places they're not needed.
We don't have to worry about people parking in bike lanes here because there are none.
Old 06-05-21, 08:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
We don't have to worry about people parking in bike lanes here because there are none.
I just rode through Exeter, NH, and I swear the only reason they have bike lanes is to make the town seem bigger. The really funny thing about them is they messed up the pavement so it looks like the bike lane is crisscrossed with random rumble strips.
Old 06-06-21, 04:57 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts

Your disingenuous attempts to draw a meaningful distinction between illegal stopping and illegal parking is a false dichotomy.
They aren't the same. That you used two different words to describe them backs that up.

You aren't seeing people parking, it appears.

Congratulations on proving me correct.
Old 06-06-21, 05:30 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
I like all the bike lanes in my area; I very rarely have issues with cars parked in them, but I also stay away from cramped cities. However, when I do ride in cramped cities, I'm riding in the roadway a lot, but that doesn't bother me, since I've been riding for over 30-years, before there were any bike lanes, so I'm kind of use to it.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 06-06-21, 06:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by work4bike
I like all the bike lanes in my area; I very rarely have issues with cars parked in them, but I also stay away from cramped cities. However, when I do ride in cramped cities, I'm riding in the roadway a lot, but that doesn't bother me, since I've been riding for over 30-years, before there were any bike lanes, so I'm kind of use to it.
No reflection on you because I think that's really well-stated. You "like" the lanes where you are. I think they can be a nice amenity in non-crowded areas if they're well-executed, but my sense is that a non-separated lane really isn't much about safety.
I think these discussions tend to lose sight of the fact that cars are killing a lot more non-driving people in dense urban areas than they are anywhere else, and we're going to be stuck there as long as we keep encouraging people to drive their big vehicles into those city centers. Bike lanes are a band aid when major surgery is what's needed.
Old 06-06-21, 07:29 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by livedarklions
No reflection on you because I think that's really well-stated. You "like" the lanes where you are. I think they can be a nice amenity in non-crowded areas if they're well-executed, but my sense is that a non-separated lane really isn't much about safety.
I think these discussions tend to lose sight of the fact that cars are killing a lot more non-driving people in dense urban areas than they are anywhere else, and we're going to be stuck there as long as we keep encouraging people to drive their big vehicles into those city centers. Bike lanes are a band aid when major surgery is what's needed.
Yeah, I like watching youtube videos of cycling in NYC and those bike lanes are freakin' dangerous. I'd be in the road a lot if riding around NYC. I've never ridden in NYC, but I've done some cycling on the streets of Washington D.C. (and MUPs) and I did spend more time taking the lane than normal and DC is not nearly as bad as NYC.
Old 08-10-21, 03:16 AM
homeless in ca.

Parking vehicles in the bike lane is worse than an inconvenience it is dangerous and socially irresponsible. And there is no need to park a delivery truck in the bike lane just to drop off a few boxes of office supplies. Those packages can be delivered with a cargo bike that is what bike lanes are for. For people to be able to move freely through streets jammed with cars and trucks..Delivery companies need to adapt to the reality that they don't own the road and must follow the same rules as everybody else.
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic

Wake up and smell reality.
Electric cargo bikes deliver about 60% faster than vans in city centres, according to a study. It found that bikes had a higher average speed and dropped off 10 parcels an hour, compared with six for vans.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...kpJG1XAeC436n8
Of course the caveat is that the delivery vans are slowed by the search for parking.

Vans can travel along clear stretches of road at higher speeds than cargo bikes but are slowed by congestion and the search for parking. Cargo bikes bypass traffic jams, take shortcuts through streets closed to through traffic and ride to the customers door.
Old 08-10-21, 08:02 AM
Daniel4

Of course the caveat is that the delivery vans are slowed by the search for parking.
I read a few days ago, probably from BlogTO, that the Ottawa police is now cracking down on cars and delivery vehicles in the bike lane.
Old 08-11-21, 06:55 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Anyone else do this?

I was out for a ride and a delivery car belonging to a local restaurant chain was parked in the bike lane. The car was literally parked on top of the bicycle pictogram, next to two no stopping signs and a sign indicating bike lane. Since I didn't have my action camera on I whipped out my phone and took a few pictures. The driver was walking back to the car so I got him in the frame unintentionally. But oh well I told him not to park in the bike lane and posted it on the restaurants Google maps page.

I've done this a few times before. If I see somebody doing something I don't like or catch some road raging maniac on my dashcam and there's a company name on the side of his pickup it's going on Google.
Kinda amusing that you believe your Google input is so noteworthy
It isn’t. Even to the most conscientious owner or manager.
I worked in the restaurant industry for decades and can assure you that delivery trucks will block lanes/traffic on side streets, main roads, and parking lots.
And dare I say it, they will even on occasion park in a bike lane omg!
Figure out a better way and get back to me, k?

Last edited by downhillmaster; 08-11-21 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-11-21, 06:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Anyone else do this?

I was out for a ride and a delivery car belonging to a local restaurant chain was parked in the bike lane. The car was literally parked on top of the bicycle pictogram, next to two no stopping signs and a sign indicating bike lane. Since I didn't have my action camera on I whipped out my phone and took a few pictures. The driver was walking back to the car so I got him in the frame unintentionally. But oh well I told him not to park in the bike lane and posted it on the restaurants Google maps page.

I've done this a few times before. If I see somebody doing something I don't like or catch some road raging maniac on my dashcam and there's a company name on the side of his pickup it's going on Google.
Nest time just ride around the parked car instead of taking pictures and making so much drama out of it.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-12-21, 05:47 AM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I read a few days ago, probably from BlogTO, that the Ottawa police is now cracking down on cars and delivery vehicles in the bike lane.
That's good. Longueuil is getting better too. I saw police out on bikes yesterday and when I call 911 to report illegally parked vehicles the parking officials are much quicker to respond.
Old 08-12-21, 07:16 AM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Nest time just ride around the parked car instead of taking pictures and making so much drama out of it.
Sounds like you're part of the problem. Most cyclists just go around and say nothing. Implicitly condoning the drivers antisocial behaviour. So when I stop and politely ask these drivers to move their vehicles they become belligerent. They are not used to cyclists telling them they are doing something wrong.

But I find it weird that many posters need to try and denigrate what I do. Maybe they resent me because they are not assertive enough to stop and politely reprimand bad drivers. And the fact I do makes them feel inadequate.
Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 08-12-21, 10:41 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Sounds like you're part of the problem. Most cyclists just go around and say nothing. Implicitly condoning the drivers antisocial behaviour. So when I stop and politely ask these drivers to move their vehicles they become belligerent. They are not used to cyclists telling them they are doing something wrong.

But I find it weird that many posters need to try and denigrate what I do. Maybe they resent me because they are not assertive enough to stop and politely reprimand bad drivers. And the fact I do makes them feel inadequate.
There is nothing that you have stated on these forums that should make anyone feel inadequate.
Certainly not your stated habit of posting bike lane comments on Google.
You keep asserting yourself online though. It is so admirable and so brave
Old 08-12-21, 10:48 AM
Daniel4

But I find it weird that many posters need to try and denigrate what I do...
It's as if bad driving is an acceptable norm.
Old 08-12-21, 04:18 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
There is nothing that you have stated on these forums that should make anyone feel inadequate.
Certainly not your stated habit of posting bike lane comments on Google.
You keep asserting yourself online though. It is so admirable and so brave
I only post comments on google if there's a business name on the side of the vehicle. Sometimes I ask the driver to move their vehicle. But since they usually become belligerent now I just call 911.
Old 08-13-21, 07:29 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I only post comments on google if there's a business name on the side of the vehicle. Sometimes I ask the driver to move their vehicle. But since they usually become belligerent now I just call 911.
Don't do that because you're just wasting the operators time with non-emergency calls... Dialing 911 should only be done for very important stuff such as emergencies...This is a very immature behavior on you part.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-13-21, 09:50 AM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Don't do that because you're just wasting the operators time with non-emergency calls... Dialing 911 should only be done for very important stuff such as emergencies...This is a very immature behavior on you part.
Wrong. Motor vehicles parked in the bike lane are a danger to cyclists and Montreal police advise calling 911.

Véhicule mal stationné

Voici les façons de procéder afin de rapporter un véhicule mal stationné.
Notez que dans tous les cas, en raison des urgences qui pourraient survenir sur le territoire, il ne nous est pas possible de connaître le délai d’intervention.

Veuillez nous donner la description du véhicule ainsi que le numéro de plaque d’immatriculation. Si le véhicule quitte les lieux, svp appelez au 911.

Vous êtes en présence du conducteur du véhicule stationné illégalement?

• Composez le 911.
  • Il est important de rester sur les lieux pour rencontrer un policier.

Un véhicule stationné illégalement rend le déplacement des véhicules ou des piétons non sécuritaire?

• Composez le 911 et décrivez la situation dangereuse.
  • Ne restez pas sur les lieux de l’incident pour ne pas vous mettre à risque.
https://spvm.qc.ca/fr/Fiches/Details...cQzk9INN5j0VAc
Old 08-13-21, 10:11 AM
Daniel4

Wrong. Motor vehicles parked in the bike lane are a danger to cyclists and Montreal police advise calling 911.
I had the same concern. But if the person at 911 is ok with your calls and they are in compliance with the legislation, then that's more power to you.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-13-21 at 10:18 AM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-13-21, 11:18 AM
work4bike

Why did you post something in French?

I looked it up myself and found this...It seems to indicate that the police understand that cars have to sometimes park in bike lanes. The only mention of calling 911 was if you are a victim of a Dooring incident.

This is based on just a quick search, so maybe there something more updated....

https://spvm.qc.ca/en/Fiches/Details/Dooring

Dooring

It is not uncommon for Montréal drivers to have to park along a sidewalk, bike lane or bike path.

Whenever a driver or passenger opens a car door, it can be dangerous for passing cyclists.

As cyclists are required to ride on the extreme right of the road, this makes them all the more vulnerable to this manoeuvre.

As a driver, it is important that you make sure to open your car door safely by:
  • Checking your rear view mirror.
  • Using the hand farthest from the door to open it. That way, you will have to rotate your body, making it easier to check your blind spot.
Note that, under the Highway Safety Code (HSC), checking that opening the car door can be done safely is mandatory (liable to a fine of $200 plus applicable fees).

WHAT TO DO?

If you are a cyclist and you are the victim of a dooring incident:
  • If no one has called for help and you are able to do so, dial 911.
  • Once on site, the police officer could write a police report if you so desire. You can give this number to the SAAQ for your claim for compensation. Consult the SAAQ website for more information.
  • The police officer might also give the other party a ticket. If this is the case, you will be called upon to testify in Court, as most of the time, the police officer will not have witnessed the incident.
Old 08-13-21, 11:38 AM
homeless in ca.

Why did you post something in French?
Because there was no English version.

I looked it up myself and found this...It seems to indicate that the police understand that cars have to sometimes park in bike lanes.

It is not uncommon for Montréal drivers to have to park along a sidewalk, bike lane or bike path.

Whenever a driver or passenger opens a car door, it can be dangerous for passing cyclists.
Since you don't appear to understand the difference between cars parked "along" the bike lane and parking "in" the bike lane posting an English translation would not have made any difference..
Old 08-13-21, 11:43 AM
homeless in ca.

Here is the English version.

https://spvm.qc.ca/en/Fiches/Details...parked-vehicle

Badly parked vehicle

Here is how to proceed to report a badly parked vehicle.
Note that in all cases, due to emergencies that may arise on the territory, we cannot estimate the response time.

Please provide a description of the vehicle and the licence plate number. Please dial 911 if the vehicle leaves the premises.

You are in the presence of the driver of an illegally-parked vehicle?

• Dial 911.
  • It is important that you remain on site to meet with the police officer.

An illegally-parked vehicle is creating an unsafe situation for other vehicles or pedestrians?

• Dial 911 and describe the dangerous situation.
  • Do not remain on the scene of the incident not to put your own safety at risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.