Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where do you serious riders store cell/wallet/keys while riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where do you serious riders store cell/wallet/keys while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 04:44 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Phones are for The Call Of Shame. Period.
Yeah?
Nobody ever stopped to take a cool pic with their phone?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-26-21, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
From the various comments,
sounds like my 16 km commute does not qualify as a serious ride ?
propose a new definition- to be serious, your bike has to cost more
than your cell phone and bike only be used for recreational functions.

I propose we don't define this stupid term.

The people I've seen use it in a non-sarcastic manner are generally using it to label people who either don't ride exactly like they do or not equipped as they are as "not serious."

Quick math here says your commute is 160 km (100 milrs) per week if you're full time. I guarantee that a lot of people talking about how serious they are are doing a lot less riding than that.

My feeling is that the OP doesn't rate serious answers because of his rampant habit of starting multiple threads asking inane questions. He started 4 threads yesterday, there's not many posters on bf who will start 4 threads in a year.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-21, 05:49 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Strava
I got a Garmin to cover that. It's small, light, and have a range of really good solid mounts to hold them to your handlebars/stem.

Story time:
I had picked up a RAM mount which are known as really good mounts, in particular in the motorcycle world. There is a key to note about that, but I will come back around to it.
We had recently relocated to Northeast Atlanta from Southeast Atlanta suburbs. I had gotten in pretty good shape with quite a few years of club rides with the groups on Southside (where it's MUCH flatter). I found a good group to ride with, or so I thought, out of Vinings Cycling. I had ridden with them a couple of previous times and liked the group, liked the route, although it was quite challenging to me given the elevation changes. I came in on those rides with the group, albeit at the back. I opted to come out for a Saturday ride that was posted as the same speed, but a bit longer. Seemed a fine way to spend a Saturday.
Come to find fairly early on that the ride was well more spirited than the weekly ride and I was very soon off the back, and worse than that the sweep was unaware I had fallen so far back. At this point probably in the rough area of 15 miles from our starting point, perhaps half that as the crow flies....anywho, part of the ride went through a neighborhood with those big, wide speed bumps. I was coming down a hill pushing pretty hard in an attempt to both have momentum up the next hill, but also in an unsuccessful attempt to make contact with the back of the group and catch the sweep's attention. Right at the bottom of said hill were one of those speed bumps. I hit it and watched in slow motion as my phone released from the mount, hit the ground, and went right under the back tire, completely destroyed.
This posed multiple issues for me. I didn't know where I was. My mapping device as well as my emergency figure out where I was and ability to call someone to come pick me up were gone. I actually got pretty lucky in that the area was rife with other cyclists. I had asked a couple of homeowners which were out and about as to where the bike shop was and quite unfortunately for me there were two just about equal distance opposite ways from me. Thank goodness a good hearted fellow riding by heard me talking to someone and offered to guide me back to the proper shop.
It turns out that the RAM mount works well on motorcycles due to the shocks keeping them from major vibration as well as not allowing the mass of the phone to gain momentum on the spring which holds it. That was the moment that I realized the folly of putting my phone in such a position. Besides, Garmin (and other) devices are FAR less expensive.

Old 08-26-21, 06:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Fanny packs!! Clearly the best solution for CheezGiant. Start a thread....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-26-21, 06:31 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Commuting/Transportation Context

Most of my cycling is to commute to work or to go to destinations, and I use panniers and baskets to carry needed large items.

I had originally put my wallet and phone in my pannier during the commute. However some of my destinations introduce the risk of encountering human predators and I've decided I need to be able to a) abandon the bicycle if I need to and b) have key items on my person if I get separated from the bike.

My practice now is wallet/cards, keys (mostly card access) and cell phone in jersey pockets. I use 1 quart ziplock bags for clumping and water resistance. This practice also puts the cell phone camera more accessible to me than when it was in the pannier.

Pepper spray is a bit of a problem. I can't take it into the office (building rules) so I'm not carrying now. I should look for a spray I can leave on the bike.

Last edited by flangehead; 08-26-21 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Ziplock
Old 08-26-21, 06:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The ones who never smile while riding.
Or wave.
Old 08-26-21, 06:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
If I'm riding from home it's just my cell in the middle rear pocket of my jersey. If I drive to the Start it's my cell as noted, my wallet locked in the car and my ignition device in a rear zippered pocket of my jersey.
Old 08-26-21, 06:56 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
"HOT POCKETS" - Jim Gaffigan.
"They now have a breakfast Hot Pocket. They should rename it to 'You're going to call in sick to work."
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-26-21, 07:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

I keep my phone, a bit of cash, a card, and my ID in this. It then goes in my middle jersey pocket. If I drove, I also disconnect that vehicle key and add it to the pouch.

- waterproof
- sweatproof
- keeps everything together
- if I crash and shatter the phone screen, its in the pouch so glass wont slice thru my spinal cord. <---half joking?
Old 08-26-21, 07:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't use spandex costumes...I wear clothes that have a lot pockets.
my spandex costume shirt has 3 pockets. my regular shirts have 0 pockets.
Old 08-26-21, 07:15 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Everything is in the jersey pockets, whether road, mtb, gravel, or commuting, and I've crashed at least once while doing each, and nothing has ever fallen out...yet. Cell in right rear jersey pocket (screen out to avoid sweat triggering the touchscreen display and dialing an ex-girlfriend).Typically no wallet on the bike, but ID and credit card in left rear jersey pocket, and a $20 bill stashed in between the phone case and the phone. No keys if departing from home (keyless entry door locks), but if I have to drive to the start of a ride, the solo car key (taken off the main keyring) is in the left rear jersey pocket (next to the ID and credit card).

Last edited by Riveting; 08-26-21 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 07:34 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I use a Rapha product called something like the rapha phone caddy. Just big enough to fit a phone, a key and a few bucks.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-26-21, 07:58 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
From the various comments,
sounds like my 16 km commute does not qualify as a serious ride ?
propose a new definition- to be serious, your bike has to cost more
than your cell phone and bike only be used for recreational functions.
Here's my take on "serious", I could actually care less about "serious" labels, but if we're going to discuss them, let's discuss:

Self-proclaimed serious cyclist here (road, gravel, mtb, and commuting), and there are ways to be "serious" (sometimes called "avid") without performing looong rides, though I do those too. I have family in the hills east of St Albans, VT, and often ride there when visiting, and it's my opinion that anyone (like you) riding/commuting 20 mi/day in northern VT is likely a serious cyclist, the weather and hills dictate that. BTW: if you can make it up Rt 36 into the hills of Fairfield from St Albans (11% grade for 1 mile), that feat alone will mark you as a serious cyclist, in my book. But, if you are only commuting 20 miles R/T, once a month, only on flat ground, only in fair weather, at a leisurely pace, and don't do much else on the bike, then you are definitely a cyclist, but you'll need to do more to achieve "serious" status.

Serious/avid to me is a moniker based on any number of factors: number of rides/miles per week/year, length of rides, avg speed, power FTP, W/kg, ability to maintain your own bikes, amount of climbing per segment/ride/week/year, learning and following proper riding etiquette, and the extreme weather you intentionally "choose" to withstand (sorry, being caught in a hail storm by "accident" doesn't count). Being extreme in ANY single category can be enough to label you as serious, even if you are completely lax in all other categories. For example, simply commuting 4k-5k miles in a year labels someone as serious in my book even if no ride/commute is longer than 10 miles, and it's all on flat ground, at a leisurely pace. Whereas riding 10mi once a year in a hail storm does not qualify. You can also be serious if you are moderate in most categories, but extreme in none.

Bike worth more than my cell phone?...Heck, my bike Friday (new) is worth more than the 10 yr old German engineered car currently beneath it, and when I have 2 bikes on the roof, my cars value is tripled! IMHO, the amount you spend on cycling gear is not a factor of being labeled a serious cyclist, but it is a factor of being labeled a serious spender. I'm guilty on both charges.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-26-21 at 04:00 PM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 08-26-21, 08:29 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Jersey pocket. If the stuff may get wet, especially my phone, I'll put it in a plastic bag, or maybe try to stuff it in my tool bag.
Old 08-26-21, 09:03 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Phone in back pocket of the jersey. the rest in the can
IMG_20180930_085551 on Flickr
Old 08-26-21, 09:08 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I buy mine from Occam.
That seems like the simplest way to go.
Old 08-26-21, 09:10 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Generally in my jersey pockets. If on a ride I expect to be slower or more casual, I often bring a handlebar or rear rack-top bag where I can stow stuff.
Old 08-26-21, 09:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Riveting
Here's my take on "serious",

Self-proclaimed serious cyclist here (road, gravel, mtb, and commuting), and there are ways to be "serious" (sometimes called "avid") without performing looong rides, though I do those too. I have family in the hills east of St Albans, VT, and often ride there when visiting, and it's my opinion that anyone (like you) riding/commuting 20 mi/day in northern VT is likely a serious cyclist, the weather and hills dictate that. BTW: if you can make it up Rt 36 into the hills of Fairfield from St Albans (11% grade for 1 mile), that feat alone will mark you as a serious cyclist. Serious/avid to me is a moniker based on any number of factors: number of rides/miles per week/year, length of rides, avg speed, power FTP, w/Kg, ability to maintain your own bikes, amount of climbing per segment/ride/week/year, and the extreme weather you intentionally "choose" to withstand (sorry, being caught in a tornado or hail storm by "accident" doesn't count). Being extreme in ANY single category can be enough to label you as serious, even if you are completely lax in all other categories. For example, simply commuting 4k-5k miles in a year labels someone as serious in my book even if no ride/commute is longer than 10 miles, even if it's all on flat ground. Whereas riding 10mi once a year in a hail storm does not qualify. You can also be serious if you are moderate in most categories, but extreme in none.

Bike worth more than my cell phone?...Heck, my bike Friday (new) is worth more than the 10 yr old German engineered car currently beneath it, and when I have 2 bikes on the roof, my cars value is tripled! IMHO, the amount you spend on cycling gear is not a factor of being labeled a serious cyclist, but it is a factor of being labeled a serious spender. I'm guilty on both charges.
That's all very reasonable (especially the distinction between serious cyclist and serious spender), but to me the question is why we would want to label someone who cares about cycling or relies on it as "not serious"? I want to be clear that this isn't referring to you because I don't think you do this at all, but most people I see using the term "serious" to describe themselves are doing so in order to discount the opinions and preferences of other cyclists.

I think anyone who commutes by bike is taking cycling very seriously--they're relying on it to get them back and forth to their livelihood.

Some of the crazy definitions I've seen around here include claims that you can't be a serious cyclist if you use platform pedals, don't strive to maintain a constant cadence, don't wear cycling kit, don't wear a heart monitor, or don't follow some sort of strict training regimen. It's usually a matter of question begging when someone is asking whether they need to do or use something to ride a lot. "Well, you can't be serious without...." doesn't really answer the question of whether that thing really is necessary for the person asking the question, it just assumes that it is.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-21, 09:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Some of the crazy definitions I've seen around here include claims that you can't be a serious cyclist if you use platform pedals, don't strive to maintain a constant cadence, don't wear cycling kit, don't wear a heart monitor, or don't follow some sort of strict training regimen. It's usually a matter of question begging when someone is asking whether they need to do or use something to ride a lot. "Well, you can't be serious without...." doesn't really answer the question of whether that thing really is necessary for the person asking the question, it just assumes that it is.
I’ve seen the opposite as well. There are all kinds of purists who have told me that I’m not a “serious” commuter because I use ride in bike clothes, use computers, use clipless pedals (and toe clips before that), etc. even though I have ridden to work over 4000 times covering a bit over 75,000 miles. But because I don’t wear “street clothes”, I’m not a serious commuter. Hell, I’ve been told that I’m not a serious cyclist by the other side because I have racks on my bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-26-21, 10:01 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Fanny packs!! Clearly the best solution for CheezGiant. Start a thread....
Ya got me! My under seat bag holds my tools, CO2 inflator/cartridges, patch kit, items which can be used on either my road or mtn.bike. A fanny pack is used for a "bike wallet"-just a driver's license, medicare card, emergency med card, and a few dollars. Also holds a spare tube for whichever bike I'm riding, and energy bar(s), ibuprofen, and keys. For me, it's easier to switch the seat bag from bike to bike ("universal" contents), and pack the fanny pack contents to suit the ride and bike.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-26-21, 10:05 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Every year I come across at least 3 or more serious looking cyclists on $10K bikes stranded due to a ruptured tire or once in a while they can't fix a flat. I always carried a partially worn 25 mm GP4000 just in case. Guess how many times, a stranded, serious cyclist let this dorky recumbent rider give them the tire or fix it for them? Zero. One guy said, no problem it is only 6 miles back to the car (it was more like 9 miles) as he tippity tapped away in cleats. I almost pleaded with him, it is an old tire and tube take it or I'll fix it for you. Just last week, similar situation except he said he was going to call his wife once he got a cell phone signal. So, the crowd that just has a phone in their back pocket with no tools or rain gear in shoulder season are not serious cyclists in my mind. I even had one guy ask why I am not on a real bike or if I ever rode a real bike. The nerve. I stop to help and he insults me. Seriously
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-26-21, 10:10 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I even had one guy ask why I am not on a real bike or if I ever rode a real bike. The nerve. I stop to help and he insults me. Seriously
Sounds like you're easily offended. Seriously.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-26-21, 10:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve seen the opposite as well. There are all kinds of purists who have told me that I’m not a “serious” commuter because I use ride in bike clothes, use computers, use clipless pedals (and toe clips before that), etc. even though I have ridden to work over 4000 times covering a bit over 75,000 miles. But because I don’t wear “street clothes”, I’m not a serious commuter. Hell, I’ve been told that I’m not a serious cyclist by the other side because I have racks on my bikes.

Yes, this telling people they're not serious is usually seriously stupid. Telling you "you need not-x to be serious" is just as silly as telling me "you really need y to be serious".

We're serious enough that we've both figured out what does and doesn't work for them and I'm pretty sure that would be for equally valid reasons even though we've come to completely different conclusions.
Old 08-26-21, 10:16 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Ok. I do think stopping an interval or workout is a big deal. Stopping to help another cyclist is a big deal. Insulting someone is not nice. Seriously.

Not having the means to repair or replace your tires? Not a serious cyclist in my book
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-26-21, 10:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe

Nah, getting a sarcastic comment as a reward for offering help is pretty damn offensive. Seriously so, even.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.