Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I dont understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A couple of things I dont understand

Old 09-20-21, 08:03 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Should I have instead insulted them and told them that they should have known how to manually configure a router 10 years ago?
False equivalency. The poster in question knows perfectly well how to fix a flat, but makes his friends come get him anyway.

Last edited by Rolla; 09-20-21 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-20-21, 08:05 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
BF road mechanic warriors are truly a pathetic lot
Sorry, if you can't fix a flat you need to stay indoors on the keyboard.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-21-21, 01:18 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
False equivalency. The poster in question knows perfectly well how to fix a flat, but makes his friends come get him anyway.
Wrong.
My post was quite obviously towards all of the peeps in this thread complaining about having to help a friend.
Either way it’s pretty funny that you would say that considering that your post early on in this thread referenced people in general and you stated ‘keep up the good work, noobs’
If I thought you knew the meaning of a big word like hypocrisy I would use it

Last edited by downhillmaster; 09-21-21 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-21-21, 01:19 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sorry, if you can't fix a flat you need to stay indoors on the keyboard.
Says the guy typing on a keyboard.
My bad. Of course you posted this message while outside working on or riding a bike
Too funny.
Another laughable BF road mechanic warrior.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 09-21-21 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-21-21, 05:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Best you can do? Embarrassing....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-21-21, 05:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
Does this mean I shouldn't call you if I need a ride?

No, it means that if you deliberately refuse to take steps so you don't "need" the ride, we think you're imposing on your friends for really lousy reasons.

You presented that as some sort of principled stand and sorry, you're describing jerk behavior -- "you need to give me a ride because I'm tired of changing flats at roadside " is something you should be ashamed of, but you've stated it defiantly.
Show your friends this thread and ask for their honest feelings about this. I dare you.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-21-21 at 06:41 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-21, 06:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Best you can do? Embarrassing....
Having argued with that troll wayyy too much on the very same subject, I can tell you he can do much worse.

Near as I can figure out, he doesn't really ride much outside of his own neighborhood, but feels this qualifies him to declare that riding around 30 miles from home prepared to fix a flat is "ridiculous" and "virtue signaling." There was a thread where someone asked what people brought on 4 hour rides. He proceeded to explain that he only does 1 and a half hour rides "around the lake" if I recall correctly, and then make fun of everything the people who actually rode 4 hour rides packed as equipment. On a 4 hour ride, I figure I'm probably going to be at least 30 miles from home at some point, in the middle of nowhere, and yeah, I really, really want to avoid having to impose that much on a friend.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-21, 06:55 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Wrong.
My post was quite obviously towards all of the peeps in this thread complaining about having to help a friend.
Wrong. No one is complaining about helping a friend. People are saying that friends who take advantage are not friends.

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-21-21 at 07:06 AM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-21-21, 06:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rolla

Yes, this is more like calling your friend the computer expert, and insisting he come over to your house to tell you where the on switch is for the 13th time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-21, 07:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by kahn
Okay, you are the second person who mentioned only needing minutes to fix a flat. Obviously, I'm poorly suited to the task because it probably takes me, at least, a half an hour. And that's if the damn tire cooperates and comes off and better yet, goes back on without (cursing) issues! But I have fixed my share of flats and I don't find it a terrific experience although afterward I might bask in my own success!

It depends for me on which bike and which kind of tires. But generally, I estimate about 10-15 minutes to swap out the tube and reinflate. It's a lot shorter than the wait I can expect for the ride to get there.

What are the issues? Maybe some people on the thread know a trick or two that could help you. Mine is to slightly inflate the tube I'm putting on before I put the stem through the hole so it becomes obvious if the tube is getting pinched between the tire and the rim while I tuck in the tire. As you can see by my use of "technical" terms, I am definitely no mechanic, but I've gotten pretty good at this one thing out of necessity.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-21, 07:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I can generally swap a tube in 5-15 minutes. Sometimes a particular tire will fight for an hour...I have broken tire levers, had them fly off into who knows where, used a house key as a lever and nearly broke that ..... but usually it isn't that hard. It is just part of riding a bike on the street.
Old 09-21-21, 08:07 AM
gigadeath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
I have changed enough tubes for one lifetime. There are much better things to do on the side of a road than fix a flat.

Once the bike is at home, I would change the tube at my convenience. However, the only reason that I would change it at all is that it would be easier than taking the bike to a LBS.
Of course I come late to the party and others have already lynched you for good reasons. And of course, there's a 97% chance yours is only good-natured trolling.

If not, beware, the life of your significant others is not really longer than yours, and they have better thing to do too than carrying your sorry ass home like you were a sack of potatoes. Unless you are a millionaire of course, that would explain a lot of things
Likes For gigadeath:
Old 09-21-21, 08:13 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yes, this is more like calling your friend the computer expert, and insisting he come over to your house to tell you where the on switch is for the 13th time.
Yeah?
Who specifically referenced the same person coming to fix a flat 13x? Or even more than once or twice for that matter.
And yes, I have gone to the same friends house more than once to assist them with basic computer issues.
Nice job comparing fixing a flat to pushing the computer on switch though.
Grasping
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 09-21-21, 08:18 AM
downhillmaster

FWIW, I am not advocating for people to not learn basic bicycle maintenance repair and be able to fix their own flats.
I am simply reacting to the numerous and regular BF shaming and insulting of someone(myself included)who will on occasion phone a friend.
Certain BF posters lack a bit of perspective and I believe my computer analogy is quite valid.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 09-21-21, 09:13 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Wrong.
Either way it’s pretty funny that you would say that considering that your post early on in this thread referenced people in general and you stated ‘keep up the good work, noobs’
If I thought you knew the meaning of a big word like hypocrisy I would use it
HA. You quoted someone directly involved in the "I can't be bothered to fix my own flat" discussion, but now say you were addressing "all the peeps complaining about helping a friend."
As for my comment, I didn't address "people in general," I addressed those who can't fix their own flats, thanking them (with tongue obviously in cheek) for their support of local bike shops.

I guess when you can't effectively argue with integrity, misrepresenting context is your only available tactic. How laughably transparent of you.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-21-21, 09:34 AM
Maelochs

@downhillmaster .... I don't believe you believe what you are posting.

Simple, obvious flaw---EVERYBODY can fix a flat if they have two working hands and half a working brain. You are comparing changing a tube---something about as hard as urinating without wetting yourself---with advanced computer or network repair. Obviously you had to learn a good bit before you could help set up people with a home network---it wasn't something anyone could learn in three minut6es from any of a hundred YouTube videos (if they didn't learn as kids.)

As I believe it was @livedarklions stated, the equivalent here is that someone kept calling you to turn on his or her computer, after you had shown the person where the On button was located it, and even highlighted it with a bit of colored tape. Not rocket science---not even computer science. Something anyone could learn by paying attention once.

Also, it doesn't matter if the poster calls one person 13 times or different people each time. it is still selfishness. He could five or ten minutes roadside doing what he is going to do back home anyway---but instead asks a friend to drive half a an hour pick him up, put his bike in the car, drive him half an hour home .... because the poster in question thinks his time is too important to be spent changing a tire roadside.

Not that he won't change a tire, he will---as soon as someone spends an hour chauffeurring him around for free.

You understand all this .... so I figure you are just trolling too. No problem.

And another exaggeration on your part: No one is shaming Anyone for occasionally needing a ride. I myself have admitted that I have needed a ride three times while cycling, and once while driving (which I didn't mention because I didn't find it germane.) The difference is that in none of those cases was I able to fix my own problems, and in none of those cases was I able to fix my own problems because I simply didn't want to help myself if I could get someone else to do a lot more work to help me.

You understand this too .... which is more evidence that you just want to stir things up.

Certain BF posters have very broad and generous views .... and we have clearly explained our perspectives, and clearly explained why your analogy is not relevant. As they said in the Old West, though ... you can lead a mule to water but you can't make him think.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-21-21, 09:39 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
the idea that anyone would call a friend or spouse for help on a bike ride is a bit preposterous to me - i mean … whose time in the modern world is worth less than it costs to get a lyft? i suppose it’s possible if you were riding very far away, and had friends with nothing to do, and were a frugal sort. those people should carry what it takes to fix a flat.

but the idea that an hour or more of a friend or family member’s time is somehow worth either a) not bringing flat-fixing stuff or b) saving myself $25 is just crazy. we all live in slightly different worlds, i suppose.
Old 09-21-21, 09:42 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I usually ride with my husband so we help each other out. He got a flat and had no spare with him. My spare wouldn't fit his bike. I rode back and got the car and brought him and his bike to the nearest LBS. I crashed once and he rode back to get the car and picked me up. My bike was fine. I broke my collar bone and really couldn't ride back to the car.
Old 09-21-21, 09:54 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I usually ride with my husband so we help each other out.
Now I feel selfish and guilty for not riding with my spouse .... except she doesn't ride .....

I guess bike shops need to start selling "Cycling Spouses" along with repair parts and under-saddle bags and such. I'd buy a couple.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-21-21, 10:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Awesome thread ...
Old 09-21-21, 10:32 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Maelochs

Simple, obvious flaw---EVERYBODY can fix a flat if they have two working hands and half a working brain. You are comparing changing a tube---something about as hard as urinating without wetting yourself---with advanced computer or network repair. Obviously you had to learn a good bit before you could help set up people with a home network---it wasn't something anyone could learn in three minut6es from any of a hundred YouTube videos (if they didn't learn as kids.)

As I believe it was @livedarklions stated, the equivalent here is that someone kept calling you to turn on his or her computer, after you had shown the person where the On button was located it, and even highlighted it with a bit of colored tape. Not rocket science---not even computer science. Something anyone could learn by paying attention once.

Also, it doesn't matter if the poster calls one person 13 times or different people each time. it is still selfishness. He could five or ten minutes roadside doing what he is going to do back home anyway---but instead asks a friend to drive half a an hour pick him up, put his bike in the car, drive him half an hour home .... because the poster in question thinks his time is too important to be spent changing a tire roadside.

Not that he won't change a tire, he will---as soon as someone spends an hour chauffeurring him around for free.

And another exaggeration on your part: No one is shaming Anyone for occasionally needing a ride. I myself have admitted that I have needed a ride three times while cycling, and once while driving (which I didn't mention because I didn't find it germane.) The difference is that in none of those cases was I able to fix my own problems, and in none of those cases was I able to fix my own problems because I simply didn't want to help myself if I could get someone else to do a lot more work to help me.

You understand this too .... which is more evidence that you just want to stir things up.

Certain BF posters have very broad and generous views .... and we have clearly explained our perspectives, and clearly explained why your analogy is not relevant. As they said in the Old West, though ... you can lead a mule to water but you can't make him think.
My bad.
What was I thinking.
Of course you are correct, and changing the rear tire of a geared bicycle on the side of the road is exactly the same for a beginner as hitting the power switch on a computer
Old 09-21-21, 10:39 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Again, your sensibilities are not universal and your conditions are not universal so why wouldn't methods in which someone addresses a problem suit them instead of suiting you?
You are assuming anything people do "suits" them (you/we really don't know).

While gigadeath used overly-absolute language (so what, anyway?), just because the riders you mention here can't fix a flat doesn't mean not being able to do so "suits" them.

Some of them might be unaware that flats are a possibility (or that tires even lose air). (Certainly, the risk varies based on where one rides and the tires one uses.)

Some of the people you assume that not being able to fix a flat "suits" them might be better-off being able to fix a flat. 10 miles is 3-4 hours of walking.
Old 09-21-21, 10:45 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Maelochs

No one is shaming people for not changing their own flat?
You obviously don’t remember your own quotes in this very thread. Why I am not surprised.

“Of course, I wouldn't say that. I would say, "Cool, I hope you have cash but if not we can stop at an ATM, because I charge $25 per hour plus gas and mileage. Your mom might have rescued you when you were a kid, but the rest of us grew up, and it is about time you did too."

Good stuff
Old 09-21-21, 10:46 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Okay, you are the second person who mentioned only needing minutes to fix a flat. Obviously, I'm poorly suited to the task because it probably takes me, at least, a half an hour. And that's if the damn tire cooperates and comes off and better yet, goes back on without (cursing) issues! But I have fixed my share of flats and I don't find it a terrific experience although afterward I might bask in my own success!
You shouldn't be too concerned with how long it takes you. Even at a half-hour, it will still often more convenient and faster to fix it. (I wonder if there are things you could learn from someone more experienced.)

(Is there anybody who finds it a "terrific experience"?)

Although, I did just that about two weeks ago. The last person or Olympic weight lifter who tightened my rear through-axle did a fantastic job.
It's too tight (these things can be too tight). Another (easily missed) point of preparation is assuring one can remove the wheels.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-21 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-21-21, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My bad.
What was I thinking.
Of course you are correct, and changing the rear tire of a geared bicycle on the side of the road is exactly the same for a beginner as hitting the power switch on a computer

The guy we're reacting to made it quite clear that he IS NOT a beginner, and has changed several flats on the side of the road. And yeah, if you've done it once, it really doesn't involve a lot more technical skill than flipping a power switch. It takes a little longer and is greasier, that's about it. Nice try at making it sound as complicated as brain surgery, but yeah, it's really simple, don't twist the chain and everything slips right back into place.

I could dig up plenty of posts where you've made fun of people for carrying tools, tubes, etc. when they ride, but you're really not worth the time. You picked this fight several years ago by ridiculing several other people for being over-prepared, and have been trying to portray yourself as the victim ever since.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.