Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Empire State Trail - Completed Report

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Empire State Trail - Completed Report

Old 06-03-21, 05:37 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks for posting this! My wife and I have years of supported tours, but will be doing a short section of your ride on our own. It will be our first unsupported effort. We hope it's a tune up for our planned C&O unsupported adventure later. I love that you posted so may photos!
Old 09-22-21, 06:44 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
... I prefer early 1800's rail trails that twist and wind more (due to design for shorter rolling stock) but the Maybrook is pretty nice and being well used, even on a quiet Tuesday afternoon.
This is the line that convinced me not to choose this option for a mid-October ride. I'm not a big fan of rail trails on which you can see the end of the trail from the point at which you make your first pedal revolution.

Is there another portion of the Empire State Trail you'd recommend?
Old 09-22-21, 07:18 PM
Windsore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Maybrook section is not arrow straight and it has some elevation, it is fairly new, the blacktop is smooth and sweet. I saw a bobcat while riding it. As for what section of the Empire State Trail to ride? What are you looking for? The trail is paved in different grades from NYC to New Paltz, A gravel railtrail to Kingston, A rolling hill road ride from Kingston to Hudson. Mixed gravel and road, with hills to Albany. West from Albany you are on mostly sections of various iterations of the Erie Canal. The North leg of the EST is a road ride with elevation.

Last edited by Windsore; 09-22-21 at 07:31 PM. Reason: expansion of reply
Old 09-22-21, 08:01 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
From Albany to the Catskills is more hilly and definitely winding and twisting. You may enjoy it. All the way to Kingston or Manhattan if You have the time.
Old 09-23-21, 05:20 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
. Is there another portion of the Empire State Trail you'd recommend?
I cannot help much here. The section from Brewster to New Paltz is the only one I'm familiar with. There's been plenty written about that.
Old 09-23-21, 05:53 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Prowler
I cannot help much here. The section from Brewster to New Paltz is the only one I'm familiar with. There's been plenty written about that.
Hmmm...thanks, all. I have ridden many portions of this trailway over the years, but it seems the newer portions are not going to be worth the two-hour drive up there for me. I don't like bobcats or bears!
Old 09-23-21, 07:09 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Hmmm...thanks, all. I have ridden many portions of this trailway over the years, but it seems the newer portions are not going to be worth the two-hour drive up there for me. I don't like bobcats or bears!
I don't know what it'll be like in October, but the Erie Canal trail was a really nice trip. One really nice thing is that most of it is close to Amtrak so one could ride almost any section then take the train back to the starting point.
Old 09-23-21, 08:07 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by arsprod
I don't know what it'll be like in October, but the Erie Canal trail was a really nice trip. One really nice thing is that most of it is close to Amtrak so one could ride almost any section then take the train back to the starting point.
Yep, I did part of the Erie Canal in the Rochester area, and I've also done the feeder canal that runs through Glens Falls. Loved both of those rides.
I will only have Saturday and Sunday, 10/16 and 10/17, though, and I'll have to drive up all the way from Long Island. The Erie Canal will be a little too far..
Old 09-23-21, 05:44 PM
Windsore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Park your car on the correct Metro North line, pick your distance, take the train back to the car. Poughkeepsie has the bike/ped bridge over the Hudson and a train station.
Old 09-24-21, 05:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Rode the Hudson walkway a few days ago while heading south from Hyde Park to Cuddebackville. It’s nice that they have extended the trail to New Paltz.

Likes For indyfabz: