Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's your front rack storage system?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 05:17 PM
donoharm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of retiring my cyclocross bike as my commuter and moving towards a Priority 600. I'm re-evaluating how I store my stuff and have heard a lot about how front storage is better for the balance and handling of the bike. I'd be curious to hear about what you use as your front storage system when commuting. Ideally some of you would have worked out a great way to transport a small laptop or iPad on the front of the bike in a waterproof way.
Old 08-04-21, 04:54 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I use a Wald front rack on my bike. Not fancy but wears like iron.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 08-11-21, 02:41 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I have a low rider front rack with a set of panniers I put all the heavy stuff like groceries up front and keep the light stuff like clothes in the rear.
Old 08-12-21, 04:23 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Priority has a Porteur rack which protrudes quite a bit, but will take a flat backpack, which you can tie down with a mesh or bungie. I put a Tubus Tara instead to use with panniers and backpack panniers.
Personally I use a Green Guru highroller pannier backpack for commutes. It's not padded but I have my laptop in neoprene sleeve anyways. It isn't water proof, but resistant to light rain, as the stitching is where it leaks. My wife uses a Rhinowalk, which is waterproof but isn't recycled materials.
Old 09-13-21, 08:52 PM
overthebars

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I briefly tried a porteur style front rack on my commuter and didn’t care for how it affected the steering and handling of the bike. And it was not especially heavy, was a quality rack that cost a fair amount. I ended up sticking with a rear rack and a backpack, much better. I’d recommend putting a laptop or other electronics into a backpack where they’re isolated from vibrations anything in a bike rack will be subjected to.
Old 09-18-21, 01:05 PM
zygomorph

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For everyday commuting, I use a Velo Orange randonneur rack (cantilever version without a decaleur) with a Wald rack. That's rated for about twelve pounds. There are tons of Wald specific bags now, but I use a more exotic one from Fifth Season that's a simple waxed canvas roll top.

I went with a non-dropout rack so that I could add low riders for touring. For that, I went with the Tubus Clara, and those fit my Ortlieb back rollers (full sized) fine.

I love the feel of front loading on my Miyata 615gt, which is a touring specific bike. The steering becomes less squirrelly and shocks from the road are dampened.

It was never particularly easy to ride the bike hands free (I don't like doing it besides) and the more weight there is in the rack the harder it gets. But it's doable between 5-8 pounds I'd say.
Old 09-18-21, 01:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
A Timbuk2 medium messenger bag fits perfectly in a Wald 137 basket.

Old 09-18-21, 04:45 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I use a food storage / bus bin. Fits the dog. Fits the groceries.

Last edited by sdimattia; 09-19-21 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 01:13 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
One of the hairest experiences I have had on a bike was on my first long distance ride of 800 miles from university to my parent's home and I mounted a handle bar bag on the bike. At any speed going downhill the bag caused the front wheel to oscillate severely. I emptied the front bag of gear and only put in gloves and raisins.

Best to put weight into panniers at the rear and keep the center of gravity of the load as low as possible. And affect from the load is much easier to manage when it is affecting the rear wheel.
Old 09-20-21, 07:52 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
One of the hairest experiences I have had on a bike was on my first long distance ride of 800 miles from university to my parent's home and I mounted a handle bar bag on the bike. At any speed going downhill the bag caused the front wheel to oscillate severely. I emptied the front bag of gear and only put in gloves and raisins.

Best to put weight into panniers at the rear and keep the center of gravity of the load as low as possible. And affect from the load is much easier to manage when it is affecting the rear wheel.
Putting any weight on the handlebars will always affect handling, usually not in a good way. If there's going to be substantial weight at the front of the bike, why would you put it on the handlebars and expect it to handle properly? If you want a front loader, put a correctly mounted front rack, load it smartly, and you can put the same 30lbs front or back.
Old 09-23-21, 12:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Quite some time ago I was using one of those Walmart (Schwinn? Bell? one of those) bags that works kind of like a stuff sack on a plastic hoop with a mount that clamps to the handlebars and braces under the stem, and it was... fine, for lunch and a sweater. If I'd had a heavier load I'd have wanted it lower.
Genesis 49:16-17