Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Packing Bags

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Packing Bags

Old 11-21-16, 08:58 AM
kilbour

Bikes: '12 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Packing Bags

In September I checked off a bucket list item. A tour. Not far by some (probably most) standards, but good for me. I went solo and it was beyond what I had hoped it would be and finished the ride planning my next one. I rode with back panniers, a dry bag on top of the rear rack, and a handlebar bag. The weight I carried in my panniers and dry bag was less than 33 lbs. About 11 lbs in each of the three bags. I tried to save a few bucks as well as weight (more bags leading to taking more stuff) by not buying or taking front panniers. The question I have is one of balance. When I stood up out of the saddle to give either my bum a rest or to climb a bit, it seemed like my bike, for lack of a better description, flexed. I'm wondering if this is just a normal thing on a loaded bike or if I had front panniers and loaded the bags evenly front to back whether or not there would be less flex. Throughout the ride, I'd try moving some stuff around, removing some from the dry bag on top of the rack and noticed some marginal difference. I have a trek 520 and am quite happy with it. Any opinions/suggestions out there?
Old 11-21-16, 09:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Just a guess: your bike probably didn't flex, but you unweighted the front wheel when standing, which affected the steering -- made it light and twitchy. It's normal for your weight distribution.

You can try remembering to lean forward a bit when getting out of the saddle to keep a larger fraction of your body weight on the front. You might try adding weight to the bar bag or adding front panniers to keep the front wheel weighted. Either of those risks making the steering sluggish. You might think when you stand and unweight the front, the added weight will make the steering like an unloaded bike, but Murphy's law says that doesn't usually work.

MHO, just go with the flow and enjoy the ride. Other options include joining a supported tour, where the tour operator carries all your luggage. It's a different kind of touring, with less flexibility w.r.t. schedule and stops, and less opportunity to meet the people who live there. So in the end, you've got to pick one approach for your next tour and deal with the consequences.
Old 11-21-16, 10:25 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by kilbour
....back panniers, a dry bag on top of the rear rack, and a handlebar bag. The weight I carried in my panniers and dry bag was less than 33 lbs. ....it seemed like my bike, for lack of a better description, flexed. ....
more likely the flex is in the rack........what brand/model?
Old 11-21-16, 10:33 AM
kilbour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. It was more an observation/feeling. I did play with moving more of the weightier items to the panniers and handlebar bag and it seemed to make some difference. The ride was completely enjoyed. I don't think I'd enjoy a supported tour nearly as much. Going when I wanted to go, going where I wanted to go, and stopping when I wanted to stop was for me. And of course, I wanted to be self-sufficient.
Old 11-21-16, 10:36 AM
kilbour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the stock rear rack on a Trek 520. Pretty solid.
Old 11-21-16, 10:41 AM
kilbour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a month and a half prior to leaving I rode to work with panniers loaded to maybe 20 lbs without that feeling. I just thought it odd that adding another 15 lbs it would feel that different. Certainly wasn't a deal breaker. Just odd.
Old 11-21-16, 11:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have felt that flex too, but it has been a few years. My knees are old enough and problematic enough that I no longer stand on the pedals to accelerate or climb up hills so I never notice it anymore.

I have always used four panniers, never used two. So, when I experienced that flex, it was with four.

If you pack with the weight in your panniers as low as possible, that may help. I put my tools and heavier stuff in the bottom of the panniers, sleeping bag is the last to go in on top.
Old 11-21-16, 11:51 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe side to side wt. distribution?
Old 11-21-16, 12:03 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Four always worked best for me, unless the rear ones were packed very lite.

Old 11-21-16, 12:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Four always worked best for me, unless the rear ones were packed very lite.

+1. I just like the way the bike handles with four bags as opposed to two.

And I am disciplined enough in my packing that I don't fill all the space. Never got the mentality of filling the bags to capacity just because there is more capacity. I assemble what I want and need and there is always room for more, but I don't find myself saying "Gee. I have additional space. Why don't I also take this, that and the other thing?"
Old 11-21-16, 02:05 PM
lightspree

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In September I checked off a bucket list item. A tour. Not far by some (probably most) standards, but good for me. I went solo and it was beyond what I had hoped it would be and finished the ride planning my next one. I rode with back panniers, a dry bag on top of the rear rack, and a handlebar bag. The weight I carried in my panniers and dry bag was less than 33 lbs. About 11 lbs in each of the three bags. I tried to save a few bucks as well as weight (more bags leading to taking more stuff) by not buying or taking front panniers. The question I have is one of balance. When I stood up out of the saddle to give either my bum a rest or to climb a bit, it seemed like my bike, for lack of a better description, flexed. I'm wondering if this is just a normal thing on a loaded bike or if I had front panniers and loaded the bags evenly front to back whether or not there would be less flex. Throughout the ride, I'd try moving some stuff around, removing some from the dry bag on top of the rack and noticed some marginal difference. I have a trek 520 and am quite happy with it. Any opinions/suggestions out there?
I found this sort of flex disconcerting at first, then adapted. No big deal unless it's severe or causing problems.

Could be the rack or frame or both.

I noticed a major difference when I got a bike with oversized tubing, plus an extra solid rack and mounting system.

It is nice to have that rock-solid feeling, especially on fast descents on somewhat rough roads.

If you run into situations like that and it is a safety issue, I would make the changes to resolve it.
Old 11-21-16, 05:41 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your first tour. I think what you're experiencing is pretty normal for that much gear. I run with two rear panniers and a dry bag attached on top but the combined weight is about 13lbs. 5lbs in each of the panniers and 3lbs in the dry bag (my sleeping bag). I've had it closer to 11lbs before.

After you've done a lot of riding you'll know which way your bike will lean and adjust to it. Usually my tent (the heaviest item I carry) is in my right pannier so sometimes that side is heavier. Therefore if the bike falls over it's more likely to fall away from the road than onto the road. As such, as I stand up I know to lean the bike towards the right on the inside of my leg.
Old 11-21-16, 09:21 PM
kilbour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. Probably just going to run with it. Ty0604 - sounds like I had the same setup as you... except that I'm 2-1/2 times heavier. Guess I got something to shoot for.
Old 11-24-16, 10:47 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Back in the early 1980s there was a bicycle touring boom. At the time it was standard to have most stuff in a handlebar bag and two rear panniers. Then came the French method of using two panniers up front as well as two panniers on the rear. Too much weight in a handlebar bag can really affect steering even whilst seated. then Jim Blackburn came out with his front low-rider rack design for panniers which was said to increase directional stability by a lot. Some bicycle tourists prefer to have most of their weight in the FRONT panniers rather than in the rear.

You need to try different configurations and then use what's best for you for the type of riding you do on the terrain you ride.

Cheers
Old 11-24-16, 10:52 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. Probably just going to run with it. Ty0604 - sounds like I had the same setup as you... except that I'm 2-1/2 times heavier. Guess I got something to shoot for.
The more you ride the more you'll learn what you can and can't live without. My first tour, Seattle ---> Green Bay, I was carrying just over 20lbs of gear.

Ask yourself "how often will I really use this?" and "do I really need this?" For me personally I don't need much to be comfortable. i.e. I don't use a sleeping pad.

Also find stuff that has dual uses. i.e. Gorilla tape that doubles as a patch kit.

You'll get there! Live and learn

Old 11-25-16, 10:50 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 920 has the same rack probably similar geometry. I don't do out of the saddle much. I find it much harder to control the bicycle loaded than unloaded. What do others say about this? Is it just a skill to practice and improve? Another reason for clipless pedals?
Ty0640 --check out Zpacks and enlightened equipment. If your sleeping bag is really 3 lbs? 1 lb is possible. Maybe look at a short inflatable sleeping pad, 48x20 in. 8 oz.
I'ld love to see your pack list for fall/spring cooler weather, as well as a summer/warmer weather list.
Thanks! ride on!

Last edited by Squeezebox; 11-25-16 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-25-16, 01:36 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
My 920 has the same rack probably similar geometry. I don't do out of the saddle much. I find it much harder to control the bicycle loaded than unloaded. What do others say about this? Is it just a skill to practice and improve? Another reason for clipless pedals?
Ty0640 --check out Zpacks and enlightened equipment. If your sleeping bag is really 3 lbs? 1 lb is possible. Maybe look at a short inflatable sleeping pad, 48x20 in. 8 oz.
I'ld love to see your pack list for fall/spring cooler weather, as well as a summer/warmer weather list.
Thanks! ride on!
2lbs 9oz to be exact. It's the REI Mojave +15*F bag. No longer made by REI. I love it though and it's thick enough for me to not need a sleeping pad. I'm young though so I'm sure that might change as I get older.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...ng-bag-regular

I'll DM you my list. It's pretty much the same regardless of if I go in cooler or warmer weather.
Old 11-25-16, 03:01 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Since his was your first tour, it could simply be that you weren't used to riding with a loaded bike. I know when I first started touring, I would get the same sensation. After a while, I got used to it and now don't notice it at all.
Old 11-25-16, 08:43 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations on your Tour.
I too did my first serious trek this summer. Nineteen days to destination. I too experienced this new sensation. As it never appeared in my short weekend trips building up to my Trek. I, at first did not like it at all (o.k scary). The first time was when going down a long grade, stood to cool/stretch. I avoided standing at speed, and checked everything. I was worried my rear rack was going to fail (now that would be interesting!). I found that by getting my weight lower in my Panniers helped considerably.
I kept altering my weight distribution each morning as I repacked for the day. Getting my front Panniers heavier (as mentioned above) I preferred by the end of my trip. My front racks are lower than stock mounting hardware by say an inch.

Hope this helps.

-Snuts-