Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame Fit Pumps

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Frame Fit Pumps

Old 10-11-20, 07:55 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Frame Fit Pumps

I got a flat today. It was my first flat in a very long time. The latex tube failed by blowing out into a spoke recess (even though it was covered with an intact rim strip).

I had a Lyzene mini-pump and a spare tube with me, so I was not stranded. It did point out how insufficient those mini-pumps are when trying to reach 100-120 psi.

I limped back home on a tire inflated to only about 60-70 psi.

Ironically, I have a vintage Silca Impero but took it off the bike. I get so few flats, I was looking to preserve it.

So, what does the hive know about the new Silca Impero frame pump? Anyone have one? They are expensive ($165) but do they work?
Old 10-11-20, 08:35 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
The vintage versions (sporting Campagnolo metal heads) can usually be picked up pretty cheaply, work much better than the mini pumps, look better than the modern version, and only weigh an ounce or two more than the mini pumps. I find myself often telling riders I encounter on the road who are struggling with their mini pumps or have accidentally released all the CO2 in their cartridge to get out of the way so that I can pump up their tire with a real pump. Zefal HPs are functionally even better, though are less attractive. All my road bikes have either vintage Silca Imperos or Zefal HPs.

Last edited by davester; 10-12-20 at 10:29 AM.
Likes For davester:
Old 10-11-20, 10:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...I cannot pump a road tyre with a Silca frame pump much beyond 80 psi. Even with all the various bracing tricks, I still can't reliably expect much over that pressure. With a Zefal HPX frame pump, I can get to 120psi pretty dependably. I know there are people who really like Silca frame pumps here. I am just not one of them. I don't carry a pump on the frame for how it looks.
Old 10-12-20, 01:00 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Neither wife nor I feel “safe” riding without a useful pump, every ride. We’ve had too many surprising flats in our combined 65+ years of road riding. And we’ve each helped out a few folks, typically experienced riders, who didn’t carry a pump for whatever reason.

We use Topeak full size frame pumps (apparently no longer made), like a Zefal HPX but without the annoying rattle-causing flared handle, on the bikes with a pump peg. The others with no peg but two bottle mounts get the largest size Lezyne road drive. It has reliably and without much difficulty/too many strokes got a 28mm tire to its nominal 85 psi, measured with a Lezyne in-line gauge that is surprisingly accurate. The Lezyne is attached with the included pump mount under a water bottle cage.
Old 10-12-20, 05:59 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
I use a Zefal HP. In fact, I like them so we'll, when my 40-ish year old pump gave up the ghost, I scrounged a small collection from someone who had several take-offs laying around and now have two working pumps and a third which might work in a pinch.

The HPx is the current incarnation of that series and is, I believe, still in production. I'd give that a look-see. You might well need a pump clip, but that's easily found.
Old 10-12-20, 06:41 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Yep, I pretty much carry a Zefal HPx on every ride no matter which bike I take. Only have a few I can't fit one on. That said, to be honest I also carry a CO2 setup with me also with and extra cartridge. Plenty of room in my saddle bag for that , two spares, two tire levers, etc.

I usually flat only once or twice a year and the last couple of times it's been super quick and easy getting back on the road using the CO2. But I will always carry a Zefal as a dependable backup.

I recently picked up another one so they are still around. Sometimes hard to find the size you need to fit your bike though. Remember to take that into consideration.
Old 10-12-20, 09:26 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 215 Posts
HPXs are almost always on the Rivendell site but My last two came from garage sales. Goal is to collect enough that I don’t have to swap them between bikes.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 10-12-20, 09:27 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I like Leyzene pumps - I have three - and 80 psi is perfectly adequate for me to get home, I don't even consider that limping, I can see that if I felt I just had to have 120 PSI that the leyzene might not be up to that task but I have not needed anything over 100 psi in at least a decade, I am not sure my local roads would be very welcoming for a bike running 120 PSI tires
Old 10-12-20, 09:31 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
... like a Zefal HPX but without the annoying rattle-causing flared handle, on the bikes with a pump peg.
??? I've got 4 of these I use and no rattle. Just curious, do you mean the pump handle itself or the lock lever for when you lock it onto the valve?
Old 10-12-20, 09:37 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
FWIW, I've never had a problem reaching 100+ psi with a Silca and campy metal head. Generally I used to run my training sew ups at 100. The silca plastic heads that came with the pumps kinda sucked IIRC.

I can't speak to the reissues. Pretty different pump, from what I can tell.
Old 10-12-20, 09:48 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I cannot pump a road tyre with a Silca frame pump much beyond 80 psi. Even with all the various bracing tricks, I still can't reliably expect much over that pressure. With a Zefal HPX frame pump, I can get to 120psi pretty dependably.

Is this a strength issue you have or are you saying the pump and its seals cannot go over 80 psi? Zefal has a smaller diameter tube, less cross sectional area, so it requires less force to reach a given pressure.
Old 10-12-20, 10:04 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 664 Posts
I use one of those new Silca Frame pumps on my touring bike. The bike as a whole, is what I consider an affordable luxury, the pump being part of that package.
It works fine but not head and shoulders above any other frame pumps I use (Zefal, Topeak) on other bikes.
Of the three, the Zefal is the best from a functional point of view, the Topeak the least.

The new Silca is heavy compared to the others, much more solid and sturdy.
I am sure I could hold off a pack of wild dogs with it and I like how it looks.
Likes For northbend:
Old 10-12-20, 02:30 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
??? I've got 4 of these I use and no rattle. Just curious, do you mean the pump handle itself or the lock lever for when you lock it onto the valve?
The Zefal rattle was caused by the pump handle flare against the frame tube, not the locking lever. It was probably the result of pump pegs positioned a bit closer to the TT (Klein and Erickson frames), certainly not a problem for most. Those HPX pumps are very nice and I’ve got a few in our two sizes tucked away. At the time, we solved it by wrapping window seal strips around the handle.

Last edited by Dfrost; 10-12-20 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 02:39 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
My Silca Impero pumps still work fine but 65lbs maybe 75lbs tops. It gets me home but that's about it. My Zefal HP pumps are definitely better and can easily pump 80-90 lbs. The Silca pumps are on the bikes and are original matching pumps but I really should overhaul them , maybe it would change my opinion of them . Both work ! Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 10-12-20, 02:52 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I use a Zefal HP. In fact, I like them so we'll, when my 40-ish year old pump gave up the ghost, I scrounged a small collection from someone who had several take-offs laying around and now have two working pumps and a third which might work in a pinch.

The HPx is the current incarnation of that series and is, I believe, still in production. I'd give that a look-see. You might well need a pump clip, but that's easily found.
I had two ancient HPX-4s around, that I was hoping to make into one functional one. But alas they only come apart so far, and what I needed to do couldn't be done(by me anyway). I now have three HPX-3s, for my three regular riders. And nice chrome pump umbrellas to mount them with.

Old 10-12-20, 03:52 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
The failure point of the Zefal HP that stumped me the most was the piston seal. If you come across an HP with that problem, an OEM replacement is available from a seller on the 'bay for $13.49, including shipping. (I am not connected in any way with the seller, except as a customer.) I imagine it's available directly from Zefal, too, for Europeans.
Old 10-12-20, 05:12 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
If a Silca frame pump won't pump higher than 75 or 80, then likely the seals in the pump head need to be replaced, and/or the main diaphragm needs to be greased or possibly replaced. 110+ no problem with a Silca in good condition. They are trickier to use than a Zefal HP/HPX, and require technique and a bit of strength.

It's kind of funny that the reissues are on the heavy side. The main reason people used Silcas BITD was because they were very light. Perhaps they figure the target market demographic is not longer worried about a few ounces here or there...
Old 10-12-20, 05:33 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Zefal HPx here too.
Old 10-12-20, 06:39 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
The failure point of the Zefal HP that stumped me the most was the piston seal. If you come across an HP with that problem, an OEM replacement is available from a seller on the 'bay for $13.49, including shipping. (I am not connected in any way with the seller, except as a customer.) I imagine it's available directly from Zefal, too, for Europeans.
Zefal will ship direct to the US.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 10-12-20, 11:31 PM
Bad Lag

Maybe I should just get my old Silca Impero back on the bike.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 10-14-20 at 07:56 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 10-13-20, 12:34 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
The vintage versions (sporting Campagnolo metal heads) can usually be picked up pretty cheaply, work much better than the mini pumps, look better than the modern version, and only weigh an ounce or two more than the mini pumps. I find myself often telling riders I encounter on the road who are struggling with their mini pumps or have accidentally released all the CO2 in their cartridge to get out of the way so that I can pump up their tire with a real pump. Zefal HPs are functionally even better, though are less attractive. All my road bikes have either vintage Silca Imperos or Zefal HPs.
+1 on everything in this post.

BTW, Zefal XPs may be the best dog defense system ever made. Silcas are okay, Zefals are more substantial.
Old 10-14-20, 06:00 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

I’m not sure vintage Silcas work the absolute best, but they definitely look the best!
Old 10-14-20, 06:03 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
I have a Park frame pump. Nice thing is it's adjustable, so fits on different frames.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html