Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Converting old bike for turbo trainer

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 08:26 AM
Ohlookabirdie

Bikes: 2016 Cube Attain SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it possible to convert an old 90's mtb frame to be a suitable bike for indoor "road" cycling on a turbo? if so what are things that need to be considered?
Old 02-14-21, 09:07 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I think making the saddle height and setback the same as your road bike is the most important thing. Reach is a bit less important for me but I ended up a bit closer since I only had a short stem on hand, it hasn't been a big deal for me so far, but I sit up a lot more on the trainer than I do outdoors so it's not quite the same.

I use the same model of crank on my indoor and outdoor setups, I find my knees don't like switching between wider mountain cranks and road cranks.

I use a direct drive smart trainer and usually free-ride in zwift so I have a wide range 3x10 setup on the trainer. I also have the kickr climb so I keep the trainer difficulty at 100%. If free riding in zwift and training to ride steep hills some people find it helpful to keep the trainer difficulty at 100% but not everyone has a bike setup for doing 10-15% climbs so the trainer difficulty can help ease the grades but it doesn't help increase the resistance on the flats in zwift, so some people with MTBs find a need to increase baseline resistance but if an old MTB has a triple with a 48t big ring that should be enough for riding around zwift, I do fine in zwift with 50x12 as a high gear... depends on how fast one likes to spin I guess.
Old 02-14-21, 11:19 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
You'll want to use a slick tire, the typical knobby one will be louder and possibly have less than desired grip against the drum.
Likes For surak:
Old 02-17-21, 01:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
You'll want to use a slick tire, the typical knobby one will be louder and possibly have less than desired grip against the drum.
Agreed. That's pretty much all you'll need to do.