Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Comparison between B17 and B17 Imperial

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-24-21, 10:19 AM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

I need a saddle for a touring bike, and have tried a new B17 for a few hours. I can’t tell what it would feel like after it’s broken in, so I am curious: does the cutout on the B17 imperial make an obvious difference during the earliest stages of break in, or is it also a “trust me, it gets better in 1000 km” situation?
Old 08-24-21, 10:40 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
for me the Imperial felt great right out of the box. I have it on our tandem and it is my favorite saddle for comfort on long multi day rides
Old 08-24-21, 10:52 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Both felt good to me right out of the box, though the Imperial is better overall. All things being equal, if I were to order a B17 today, I'd buy an Imperial.
Old 08-24-21, 12:16 PM
Jno

I’m starting to think users of either Brooks model (standard or Imperial)can tell the saddle is likely to be “good” before investing time & effort breaking it in further? After a couple rides on B17 standard, I have doubts about the nose up design and was wondering if that pressure is less (and hopefully, much less) with an Imperial, more or less straight away.
Old 08-24-21, 01:01 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have tried both long-term. I like the Imperial better due to pressure issues. The regular B17 is stronger due to no slit in it, so I think the regular is better... unless you need the Imperial like I do, which would make the Imperial the better choice.

Break-in would be about the same for either one, and can be accelerated by using a liberal amount of Brooks Proofhide or a similar product.

I found that the B17 in either flavor was comfortable from the start. My opinion is that if it's not working pretty well for you from the git-go, it won't work long-term even with beak-in.
Old 08-24-21, 01:16 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I’m starting to think users of either Brooks model (standard or Imperial)can tell the saddle is likely to be “good” before investing time & effort breaking it in further? After a couple rides on B17 standard, I have doubts about the nose up design and was wondering if that pressure is less (and hopefully, much less) with an Imperial, more or less straight away.
It doesn't have a nose up design. People often install it nose up, based on their preference. Mine is not really nose up. The B17 does have a bit of a slope due to the dip in the middle once broken in, but mine is not adjusted with a high nose.

Mine also is not adjusted too high. I have no perineum pain, or discomfort, even on a 70 mile day. Usually people have issues with the B17, and any seat for that matter, because they have too great of reach, or more often, they install the seat too high. If your B17 is giving you pain in the perineum, lower the seat.
Old 08-24-21, 01:35 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
If you're considering an Imperial, you might want to check out the Selle Anatomica.
Old 08-24-21, 11:27 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
I own both. In the beginning, the Imperial is more "flexible" because of the cut out but honestly, I can't tell that much difference between the two. Maybe, just maybe I give the edge in comfort to the Imperial but it's slight.
Old 08-25-21, 07:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I had no idea if I would like a Brooks when I got my first one, and found my sitbone area to be sore for a bunch of rides until the leather started to form to me, but certainly not 1000kms, maybe a few hundred or more. It was very hot weather when I was doing this, so i suspect all the sweating helped speed up the process.

re nose up placement. Ive tried flat and various nose up positions over the years, but pretty much decided that nearly flat is better for my bikes and their handlebar height.
Just listen to your body and make slight adjustments and be attentive to all the parameters, dont go by what others do.

thats my take on riding with a Brooks.
Likes For djb:
Old 08-25-21, 10:54 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I get perineum pain from the B17 even when the top of the drop-bars is level with the top of the seat. As an alternative, I got a C17 w/cutout, which was better but not perfect. After that, I wondered if I really needed such a wide saddle in the first place. I next tried a C15 w/cutout, which has been the best so far. I even ride with the seat higher than the top of the drop-bars now. I prefer the C15 w/cutout enough that I bought a second one for a new bicycle that I'm putting together.

Last edited by Nyah; 08-25-21 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 12:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I get perineum pain from the B17 even when the top of the drop-bars is level with the top of the seat. As an alternative, I got a C17 w/cutout, which was better but not perfect. After that, I wondered if I really needed such a wide saddle in the first place. I next tried a C15 w/cutout, which has been the best so far. I even ride with the seat higher than the top of the drop-bars now. I prefer the C15 w/cutout enough that I bought a second one for a new bicycle that I'm putting together.
The seat is too high or your reach is too great if you get perineum pain. It doesn't matter if your seat is level with the bars. If your seat is slightly too high, you will get pain.
Old 08-26-21, 03:26 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I have tried both. The imperial has seen many years of use and has now been allocated to my mtn bike. I bought a B17 and failed to become comfortable with it. I ended up cutting out a slot to make it an imperial model and it is now comfortable.for me.
Old 08-26-21, 06:59 PM
Jno

Thanks for the helpful replies. I will try the Imperial and the c17 and see if they sit well with me (sorry)
Old 08-26-21, 09:41 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by Jno
Thanks for the helpful replies. I will try the Imperial and the c17 and see if they sit well with me (sorry)
if you do a C17..the cutout version rides much better (for me at least) than the solid one. Try as I might, the solid one isn't for me..after 20 miles I have to get off it. Did 65 miles a couple days ago on a cut out C17..felt good.
Old 08-27-21, 11:13 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
Are Imperial and Carved the same thing?
Old 08-27-21, 11:59 AM
fishboat

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Are Imperial and Carved the same thing?
Yes, different ways of describing the same thing.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-28-21, 11:12 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I hate to add more options to your search for the right saddle but I find the B17 Narrow much more comfortable than the B17. Just a thought if you have narrow sit bones and prefer narrower non Brooks saddles.

My Imperial narrow has more flex but I really don’t notice much comfort difference than my regular narrow saddle. However I can’t ride my standard width B17 as long as either narrow version and it is well broken in.