Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speed = cadence + gear + time formula?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 10:55 PM
sstang13
Riding the bike I love.

Bikes: Marinano Delta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was practicing a 16 km time trial on an indoor trainer, but obviously there no way to tell distance indoors without a computrainer. So instead I assumed by going 32 km/h, which is how fast I go pushing on the edge of my ability the whole time (based on my only TT's ave. Speed) that if I ride for roughly 30 min, it would be 16km. But I wanted to find out my speed and couldn't find any formula online.

Is there a way to calculate speed using cadence, what gear I'm using, and time? This could also help determine how far I will go if I know what speed I'll go using a certain gear and choose a predetermined time limit. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-12, 11:00 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

https://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm

/thread.
Old 11-29-12, 11:07 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My wife put a cateye with the magnet on her back tire for her indoor training. Dont know if this is practical for your situation but thought I would throw it out there.
Old 11-30-12, 02:52 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Probably is, but my head hurts just thinking about how to figure it out....
Old 11-30-12, 06:51 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I prefer this one: https://www.gear-calculator.com/#

But if you want to know the basis of the math, distance traveled in a crank revolution is crank chain ring teeth / cassette cog teeth x wheel dia. x pi. Tire size impacts wheel dia. Then multiply this number by your cadence. It gives you distance traveled per minute, which is speed, but it will be in whatever units you did the wheel diameter in.
Old 11-30-12, 07:01 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by sstang13
I was practicing a 16 km time trial on an indoor trainer, but obviously there no way to tell distance indoors without a computrainer. So instead I assumed by going 32 km/h, which is how fast I go pushing on the edge of my ability the whole time (based on my only TT's ave. Speed) that if I ride for roughly 30 min, it would be 16km. But I wanted to find out my speed and couldn't find any formula online.

Is there a way to calculate speed using cadence, what gear I'm using, and time? This could also help determine how far I will go if I know what speed I'll go using a certain gear and choose a predetermined time limit. Thanks in advance.
You want to match the same speed on a trainer that you plan to use for the time trial? You should be wanting to match your effort instead. Due to wind resistance, the power for any given speed is a lot different on a trainer.

A fluid trainer increases the power required as it's speed increases, similar to wind resistance. But even a Kirk Kinetic, that matches wind resistance, is similar to climbing a 1% grade, higher than the power needed for a flat road.

If I was training for a TT, I'd decide how long I expected the TT to take. I'd pick a resistance level and a gear combination that let me spin at my best cadence with the hardest effort I could maintain for that whole time. That's what is needed for a race that has headwinds and elevation changes--shifting to the best cadence for the conditions.

(Some bike computers have the sensor on the rear wheel. Those would count distance on a trainer.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-30-12 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-30-12, 07:08 AM
sstang13
Riding the bike I love.

Bikes: Marinano Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
You want to match the same speed on a trainer that you plan to use for the time trial? You should be wanting to match your effort instead. Due to wind resistance, the power for any given speed probably doesn't match at all on a trainer.

A fluid trainer increases the power required as it's speed increases, similar to wind resistance. But even a Kirk Kinetic, that matches wind resistance, is similar to climbing a 1% grade, higher than the power needed for a flat road.

(Some bike computers have the sensor on the rear wheel. Those would count distance on a trainer.)
No I did measure effort, but I'm just curious as to how fast I could push on a trainer...I hate my TT time/speed, I did my first and only back in September, I have a lot of training ahead of me.
Old 11-30-12, 07:14 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Any bike computer with cadence should give you this information when using the bike on a trainer. If you are specifically looking for a gear calculator, there is the on-line one already mentioned or if you have an iPhone/iPod, you can download Bike Gear Calculator from the App Store.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-30-12, 08:26 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I did measure effort, but I'm just curious as to how fast I could push on a trainer...I hate my TT time/speed, I did my first and only back in September, I have a lot of training ahead of me.
Trainers provide different resistance, so how fast and how far you go on a trainer is irrelevant if you're trying to figure out what your road speed would be. Power is the way to go for that.

If you don't have a power meter, and your trainer is on their list, www.trainerroad.com might be a way to go for you.
Old 11-30-12, 02:31 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Yes, but the more direct method is to just add a speed sensor or combination speed/cadence sensor to your rear wheel.

That said, the speed you go on the trainer is not the same as your outdoor speed.
Old 12-01-12, 11:42 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Time for a garmin