Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheels - lighter weight vs aero

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wheels - lighter weight vs aero

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 05:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The pro peloton teams and their engineers disagree. They routinely choose deeper section aero wheels for everything bar the most epic mountain stages. Even then they often run 35-45 mm aero rims.
It's like some folks think riders in the peloton are riding in a literal vacuum with NO aerodynamic drag, rather than a slipstream with REDUCED drag. I'd name the other one, but he tends to appear if you speak his name, so....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-15-23, 05:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
The old saying "An ounce off the wheels is worth a pound off the frame" or its variant "A pound off the wheels is worth ten off the frame" go way back, to the '70s by my personal knowledge, and probably back to the '20s. While the ratios can be debated, I contend that there is a physical basis for these sayings.
Show us the physics equations to prove this nonsense or go home. You seem happy to critique mathematical models (which actually model wheel inertia) simply because they don’t agree with your “feelings”. Modern data science has made the performance comparisons objective and taken away all the previous guesswork. The same thing happened in my own field of motorsport over the last 25 years. Many long standing beliefs were laid bare by cold hard data and facts. It was all a bit much for some of the older engineers, who often didn’t have formal engineering qualifications anyway.

However I have massive respect for those old NASA engineers and scientists. They knew their maths and physics and would have laughed at this old saying because there is no real physics supporting the claim.

Last edited by PeteHski; 02-15-23 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-15-23, 07:19 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
3 swings, 3 misses, you're out.
If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong.

Without the brake area, the rims can be lighter. With out the brake area, the rims can be more aero. With out the brake area, the profile can be more triangular, and everyone knows a triangle is exceptionally strong.

All most always making a machine dual purpose ends up with it not doing either thing job very well.

You should not fly into the face of common sense and logic.
Old 02-15-23, 07:20 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's like some folks think riders in the peloton are riding in a literal vacuum with NO aerodynamic drag, rather than a slipstream with REDUCED drag.
Theoretically, I'd give up a few extra watts when tucked into the peloton, where I'm not working very hard any way, for a few extra watts on a climb, where the suffering has no limit.

Make the choices that reduce the worst suffering.

Old 02-15-23, 08:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Without the brake area, the rims can be lighter.
But, they're not.
With out the brake area, the rims can be more aero.
Again, they're not.
With out the brake area, the profile can be more triangular, and everyone knows a triangle is exceptionally strong.
And, for the hat trick, they're not.
You should not fly into the face of common sense and logic.
Sorry, but reality wins.
Old 02-15-23, 08:28 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Theoretically, I'd give up a few extra watts when tucked into the peloton, where I'm not working very hard any way, for a few extra watts on a climb, where the suffering has no limit.

I take it you didn't read the SwissSide article then. Based on SwissSide's computer model, Ineos used aero wheels on almost every tour stage. Watching the tour these last few years, it's clear that most riders are climbing the big cols on aero bikes and wheels. Those on dedicated climbing wheels are now the exception. That's not to say a recreational rider is not better off climbing big mountains on ultra-light climbing wheels. The break-even gradient for a recreational rider is just over 5%, rising to over 8.3% for a pro (and that was for a 700g difference in total bike weight i.e. 6.8 kg lightweight climbing bike/wheels vs a 7.5 kg aero race bike/wheels ).

https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...els/#_reg-wall
Old 02-15-23, 08:40 PM
PeteHski

That SwissSide article also has a neat representation of the micro speed variations during the pedal stroke. Note the swings are actually higher with lower rotational weight.

Quote: "Although the total kinetic energy of a bicycle is the sum of translational and rotational kinetic energy, rotational energy is only a tiny part of the total. Reducing rotational weight of rims, tires, and tubes saves energy only when the wheel is accelerating, and, as long as the rider doesn’t hit the brakes, he or she gets that energy back when the wheel is decelerating."
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-15-23, 08:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I take it you didn't read the SwissSide article then.l
Yes, I read it.

I am disagreeing with the "pick equipment that makes riding in the peloton easier" notion. That doesn't matter.

I say pick equipment, whatever it may be, that makes the climb easier. That equipment choice is dependent on the grade, and how fast you expect to go on that grade. Obviously.

That SwissSide article also has a neat representation of the micro speed variations during the pedal stroke. Note the swings are actually higher with lower rotational weight.
Obviously. Which scenario will produce the higher muscle fatigue? The answer to that is not so obvious.

Last edited by terrymorse; 02-15-23 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-15-23, 09:09 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote: "Although the total kinetic energy of a bicycle is the sum of translational and rotational kinetic energy, rotational energy is only a tiny part of the total. Reducing rotational weight of rims, tires, and tubes saves energy only when the wheel is accelerating, and, as long as the rider doesn’t hit the brakes, he or she gets that energy back when the wheel is decelerating."
I can confirm that, as you say above, "the swings are actually higher with lower rotational weight." I once had a pair of Hi-E's lightest tubular wheels, which made them almost certainly the lightest wheels on the market at that time, and the requirement to get them back up to speed with every pedal stroke was disconcertingly obvious. They also made the bike feel top-heavy. I used them only for a few time trials and then sold them.
Old 02-15-23, 09:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

But, they're not.

Again, they're not.

Sorry, but reality wins.
Wot, AGAIN? Reality's on a tear!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-15-23, 09:41 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The trouble is that you're changing a lot more than just mass. Most 27" clinchers from the 70s were built cheap and durable: thick casing fabric and thick rubber coating make for lots of rolling resistance. Conversely, racing tubulars were constructed for performance, usually using thin cotton fabric, and often incorporating latex inner tubes.
Training clinchers were usually wider than racing tubulars as well, generally producing more aerodynamic drag.
(Also, even as far as mass is concerned, you're not isolating the impacts of rotational versus static. The training setups were heavier in general.)

I would argue the opposite. It's very easy to feel the gyroscopic effects of changing rotating mass, but much harder to directly feel performance. And since - in the 70s - the setups with high rotating mass were also very slow, cyclist perception developed that high gyroscopic effects = slow.

You're misunderstanding the physics. The momentum of the wheels doesn't render the 2x term meaningless, it is itself the 2x term.
Thank you for offering plausible alternative explanations for my perceptions. It is helping.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 02-15-23, 09:44 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 441 Posts
Show us the physics equations to prove this nonsense or go home.
I am home, and I'll post as I please, thank you.
Old 02-15-23, 09:57 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Sometimes I wonder if you've actually experienced some of the things you have such strong opinions about.
No no, he might actually do the occasional local cycling association fun ride every now and then.

But judging by his views on aero and always writing about how keeping the wheel is the most important thing in the world, it's clear he never does any pulls. We all know that type from group rides...
Old 02-15-23, 11:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts

IMO, wheel choice for racing is best served by what improves your strengths, more so than what compensates for your weaknesses.

Not all riding in a peloton is easy cruising. More times than I can remember, I’ve been at the limit of my suffering ability for quite a while with my front tire within inches of the rear tire in front of me, while flying on flat ground. An extra few watts of aero savings is going to be valuable to me in that situation. If it was a race where climbing was the deciding factor, it wasn’t likely I was going to be around to compete for the win, regardless of how light my wheels were. My best opportunity to win was a sprint finish at the end of a crit or punchy road race, and I’d take the high-speed advantage of aero wheels at the cost of a bit more weight because it sharpens my best weapon.

For you, I expect that light wheels sharpen your best weapon, but (maybe) aero wheels aren’t going to make much difference for you in a bunch sprint.
Old 02-16-23, 05:25 AM
PeteHski

Yes, I read it.

I am disagreeing with the "pick equipment that makes riding in the peloton easier" notion. That doesn't matter.

I say pick equipment, whatever it may be, that makes the climb easier. That equipment choice is dependent on the grade, and how fast you expect to go on that grade. Obviously.
The article was actually discussing what makes riding easier both in the peloton AND on the climbs. I'm not disagreeing about your own personal choice as a recreational rider focusing on long climbs steeper than 5%, where lighter wheels do trump aero (very marginally). I thought you were talking "theoretically" about what you would do as a competitive rider in a pro peloton. If that's not what you meant and you are not riding in the peloton then I don't understand why you even mentioned it "theoretically". The real pros nearly always choose the aero option, even on alpine stages, with few exceptions. Especially teams like Ineos who have access to advanced modelling and can run detailed calculations for every stage.
Old 02-16-23, 05:40 AM
PeteHski

Obviously. Which scenario will produce the higher muscle fatigue? The answer to that is not so obvious.
I don't think the observation that higher inertia makes pedalling smoother was obvious to some people in this thread actually. As for muscle fatigue in this scenario, isn't it obvious that it would be less for the same overall weight? So if you saved 1 kg on the frame vs 1 kg on the wheels, you would be smoother pedalling up hills with no penalty in overall power. Totally counter-intuitive to the old saying "An ounce off the wheels is worth a pound off the frame" nonsense.

The only obvious thing is that if you saved 1 kg on the wheels and saved nothing on the frame, then you would be faster up steep hills. But not because of the reduction in rotational inertia. Simply because you saved 1 kg in total weight
Old 02-16-23, 10:10 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 488 Posts
IMO, wheel choice for racing is best served by what improves your strengths, more so than what compensates for your weaknesses.

Not all riding in a peloton is easy cruising. More times than I can remember, I’ve been at the limit of my suffering ability for quite a while with my front tire within inches of the rear tire in front of me, while flying on flat ground. An extra few watts of aero savings is going to be valuable to me in that situation. If it was a race where climbing was the deciding factor, it wasn’t likely I was going to be around to compete for the win, regardless of how light my wheels were. My best opportunity to win was a sprint finish at the end of a crit or punchy road race, and I’d take the high-speed advantage of aero wheels at the cost of a bit more weight because it sharpens my best weapon.

For you, I expect that light wheels sharpen your best weapon, but (maybe) aero wheels aren’t going to make much difference for you in a bunch sprint.
This is the General Forum, not the racing forum, but racing isn't steady state: it's a series of punctuated equilibria, where the punctuations are crises that you either survive or you get dropped. After you get dropped, you're left behind facing a new drag regime. Mostly we analyze these things as if we were in steady state and riding by ourselves so we come up with comparisons like, "doing this saves you 20 seconds over 40 km" and most riders rightly say, "that's not important." But to a racer, we're not facing a steady state, we're facing a gauntlet of crises. A small advantage either lets you drop a competitor (so he or she faces a more perilous drag regime) or lets you hang on and sometimes rest and recover until the next crisis arises. If you get dropped, the gap can end up being way way more than 20 seconds. I'd regularly be in a different zip code when the winner crossed the line.

I don't think the observation that higher inertia makes pedalling smoother was obvious to some people in this thread actually.
Typically, crank inertial load is higher on the flat than during climbs. Some hypothesize this is one of the reasons why cadence is different on flats than on climbs.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-16-23, 10:24 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by RChung
This is the General Forum, not the racing forum, but racing isn't steady state: it's a series of punctuated equilibria, where the punctuations are crises that you either survive or you get dropped. After you get dropped, you're left behind facing a new drag regime. Mostly we analyze these things as if we were in steady state and riding by ourselves so we come up with comparisons like, "doing this saves you 20 seconds over 40 km" and most riders rightly say, "that's not important." But to a racer, we're not facing a steady state, we're facing a gauntlet of crises. A small advantage either lets you drop a competitor (so he or she faces a more perilous drag regime) or lets you hang on and sometimes rest and recover until the next crisis arises. If you get dropped, the gap can end up being way way more than 20 seconds. I'd regularly be in a different zip code when the winner crossed the line.
Valid point that this isn't the racing forum. The same scenarios play out in fast group rides, as well. City limit sign sprints are serious business - LOL.
Old 02-16-23, 11:22 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Light wheels to help where I have the best chance of being competitive, which is on grades of 8% or more.

There's almost no chance of me ever seeing the front end of a bunch sprint, I'm afraid.

I don't think the observation that higher inertia makes pedalling smoother was obvious to some people in this thread actually. As for muscle fatigue in this scenario, isn't it obvious that it would be less for the same overall weight? So if you saved 1 kg on the frame vs 1 kg on the wheels, you would be smoother pedalling up hills with no penalty in overall power.
I get the part about high inertia wheels make pedaling smoother (less change in crank rotation speed), but I'm not convinced that it's clearly less fatiguing to leg muscles.

A roughly analogous situation:

Is it easier to throw a heavy ball a short distance, or is it easier to throw a light ball a long distance? The answer is not obvious (not to me, at least).

Last edited by terrymorse; 02-16-23 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-16-23, 11:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Light wheels to help where I have the best chance of being competitive, which is on grades of 8% or more.

There's almost no chance of me ever seeing the front end of a bunch sprint, I'm afraid.
Right. This is exactly my point. We are at our best when our tools compliment our strengths.

In the real world of today's wheel technology, we aren't stuck with extremes of just aero or light. We have a range choices of aero wheels that are pretty light, light wheels that are pretty aero, and varieties in between. Choose wisely.
Old 02-16-23, 12:30 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I don't think the observation that higher inertia makes pedalling smoother was obvious to some people in this thread actually. As for muscle fatigue in this scenario, isn't it obvious that it would be less for the same overall weight?
No, not obvious. That's getting into the physiological side of things, which is weirder and less well-understood.
Old 02-16-23, 12:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

To the OP - I've seen the Eastern Shore, and it's flat as all hell. Makes me think "crosswinds". So, I'd really take that into account when thinking about aero wheels.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-16-23, 01:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
But, they're not.

Again, they're not.

Sorry, but reality wins.
So you are a know it all about ALL rims produced now. Sorry I dont believe that. If you are an engineering expert, tell us why wouldnt all 3 things I mentioned be true?
Old 02-16-23, 01:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Triangular shaped rims are not the most aero as has been shown with many tests.
Old 02-16-23, 02:03 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3497 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Triangular shaped rims are not the most aero as has been shown with many tests.
Which is why I prefer circular ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.