Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zipp 303s versus Winspace Hyper Lun 45s

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zipp 303s versus Winspace Hyper Lun 45s

Old 05-08-23, 02:48 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It’s even more encouraging when you consider most of the reviews are of the old, pre-2023 Hyper models. For 2023, Winspace instituted hub improvements based on critiques and further enhanced quality. For example, the axle is hard anodized for increased durability, the spoke head beds in the flange now prevent twisting of the spokes, and all spokes were realigned to be fully tangential to the hub flange, to resist wind-up.
Yes, I was quite impressed how they took the public's feedback and improved their product.
Old 05-16-23, 01:49 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
Got my EliteWheels Drive 50D the other day and went on a ride over the weekend and man for $1000 shipped these are really great. I still think the 2023 Winspace Hypers are some of the best wheels for the money since they are stiffer and offer now US based shipping from NJ, but the Drive's while not as still are insanely light at 1290g. Not everyone will love the glossy finish, but the hybrid ceramic bearings and carbon spokes make for a great performing wheel.

I still can't get over why people love the Zipp 303S so much unless you are doing gravel. They are heavier, more expensive, require heavier and more expensive hook less tires, and optimally are best suited to be run tubeless which is more of hassle to setup and maintain. I am not a weight weenie but going with a Winspace or EliteWheel wheelset and using TPU tubes and a decent set of light tires gives you really everything you need in that they will be very light, fixable or replaceable on the go, and cheaper than the 303S setup tubeless
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 05-16-23, 02:30 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I've switched all three of my wheelsets to hookless. The narrowest I own is the 23mm zipp 303 and my two latest sets are 25mm IW BTLOS wheels that require no rim tape. The BTLOS wheels only cost $800 per set. I run 28mm tires at the zipp pressure calculator recommended 52/56 psi. These deliver a fantastic ride. No tubes for me.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 05-17-23 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-16-23, 04:28 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
There is no plastic in the Hyper hubs other than the plastic bearing seals which any hub using cartridge bearings has.

Hyper hub service is tool-less and almost too easy, as the freehub can be pulled off without much force at all, setting up a situation where pawls might get dropped and lost.

But to the matter of Hyper bearings, they’re standard, commonly available size spec, inexpensive, and quite easy to replace, so replace them as you like. Full ceramic? All steel? Fresh hybrid? What you want…

Lastly, the 303S (which is the wheelset the OP was asking about) uses a 3-pawl freehub system whereas the Hypers use 6-pawls at 60º apart. I don’t know the number of engagement teeth/points they each have, but the Hypers click more quickly when spun, so they have more rapid engagement.
Not true.

And Hyper should at least post a rudimentary manual with part numbers and how to obtain, for instance the proprietary spokes and nipples.
Old 05-16-23, 04:42 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
and using TPU tubes and a decent set of light tires gives you really everything you need in that they will be very light, fixable or replaceable on the go
This is what kept me on clinchers to this day despite always having had tubeless-ready wheels and being mildly tubeless-curious every now and then.
In the case of 28mm GP5ks, clinchers with TPU are fuss free and come in at around 100g lighter per wheel once all the goo and hardware is calculated in with the heavier tyre.
I don't spend thousands on sub 1400g 45mm wheels just to add 200g back on, particularly when the 28mm clinchers measure 30mm on the rims and I can run them at an ideal for me 65-70 PSI with no issues anyway. Another factor was the messy flat I helped a friend with on the side of the road one day, the bike came set up tubeless (Giant does that, without even talking to their newbie customers about that) he was on clinchers the next day. I would love the extra potential safety of self-sealing, particularly for crazy descents, and I would not even care about the more involved setup, but I think the 200g issue tips the scales to date.
Old 05-16-23, 04:52 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Continential GP5000 28mm weight differential is 30 grams from tubed version to tubeless version. I used 75 gram latex tubes. Tubeless, I use 40 ml Silca goop.The tire system weighs the same. Hookless tubeless wheels typically weigh less. But the fact that tubeless setups weigh 200 grams less is irrelevant, half a pound has no meaningful impact on time
Old 05-16-23, 05:29 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Continential GP5000 28mm weight differential is 30 grams from tubed version to tubeless version. I used 75 gram latex tubes. Tubeless, I use 40 ml Silca goop.The tire system weighs the same. Hookless tubeless wheels typically weigh less. But the fact that tubeless setups weigh 200 grams less is irrelevant, half a pound has no meaningful impact on time
Conti specs list that tyre difference at 40g extra, the rest certainly depends on what you compare it to, e.g., TPU tubes weigh 35g vs your 75g latex, additional tubeless valve stems could be 10g or 40g a pair extra, the heavier duty rim tape could come in from 5g to 30g+ more, some people run 30ml and some 60ml sealant per wheel, some carry an additional 10g dried sealant around, some clean it out frequently - so it looks like one could put some thought into it and get a reasonably lightweight tubeless setup, or easily end up with a bit more. Whether that extra matters or not is personal preference entirely. Lighter wheels spin up and feel better to me, which matters for certain types of riding. I'd rather save it in the wheels than in the saddle. For long steady state riding with the energy conserved for a long time, it will not matter at all. Regardless, saving in the order of the grams discussed here costs quite a bit when it comes to wheels, even at comparable component and build quality.

Last edited by yaw; 05-16-23 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-16-23, 06:17 PM
Jrasero

Zipp 303s weigh 1558g and IMO that isn't that light for a 45mm deep wheel. The EliteWheels Drive 50D I just got are not only cheaper but 50mm deep at 1290g. So even before we talk about tires, tubes, sealant, ect the Zipps are 268g heavier which is a good deal of weight at .6lbs. This is my hole issue with the Zipp 303S, they MSRP at $1400 which is indeed reasonable for a name brand wheel that is sold in LBS and has an amazing warranty, but let's say you don't want EliteWheels the Winspace D45 are 1420g which is still 138g, couple hundred cheaper, the wheels are more aero, and they come with ceramic bearings and carbon spokes. Too me the Zipp 303S are really nothing special unless you has a tendency to constantly RMA brake your wheels
Old 05-17-23, 12:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Not true.

And Hyper should at least post a rudimentary manual with part numbers and how to obtain, for instance the proprietary spokes and nipples.
I guess I may have missed some bits when I took mine apart, so what, specifically, are these “easily damaged pieces of plastic”? I’ve had the freehub off my ‘23 Hypers and did not see any plastic bits, which by extension, would suggest if there are indeed any, they’re not likely to be easily damaged in routine maintenance like freehub cleaning/lubrication. I honestly can’t conceive where easily damaged plastic bits might be in any hub, so again, instruct us on that.

I think it’s kind of unfair to slam them for not publishing a service manual since they include 4 new spokes with complete nipple sets right in the package with the wheels. Yes it would be nice to have an explicit resource for that stuff, and if they don’t offer replacement bits that’d be bad, but it also strikes me that needing replacement bits is kind of rare and something the included spokes should easily cover.
Old 05-17-23, 02:13 PM
DaveSSS 

I'm thinking seriously about the BTLOS carbon spoke wheel option, but with only 29mm deep rim for my windy mountain descents. 21 carbon spokes and 1205 grams with no rim tape required. 25mm IW hookless. Ready for Pirelli P-zero 28mm tubeless tires.
Old 05-18-23, 01:03 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
25mm IW hookless. Ready for Pirelli P-zero 28mm tubeless tires.
For what it's worth - ETRTO guidelines now say 23mm is the max inner rim width that should be used for 28mm tires. On 25mm you'd need 29mm tire as a minimum (which in reality means a 30mm tire since I don't think anyone is making 29mm).

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...t-your-safety/
Old 05-18-23, 02:28 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
My vote goes to 303 firecrest. Have been super durable for me.
Old 05-19-23, 07:49 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by msu2001la
For what it's worth - ETRTO guidelines now say 23mm is the max inner rim width that should be used for 28mm tires. On 25mm you'd need 29mm tire as a minimum (which in reality means a 30mm tire since I don't think anyone is making 29mm).

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...t-your-safety/
That may be true, but many brands allow the use of their 28mm tires on 25mm IW hookless rims. I have Michelins 28mm on two bikes with 25mm IW hookless rims. No problems.

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaig...-compatibility
Old 05-19-23, 10:35 AM
msu2001la

That may be true, but many brands allow the use of their 28mm tires on 25mm IW hookless rims. I have Michelins 28mm on two bikes with 25mm IW hookless rims. No problems.

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaig...-compatibility
Zipp and Enve (and probably a few others) have tested these combos on their wheels, and used that testing as justification for recommending some rim/tire combos that fall outside of the new ETRTO guidelines. Does Zipp's testing mean that BTLOS or other manufacturer's wheels of similar dimensions can work with tires that are outside of the ETRTO guidelines? I don't know the answer to that, but it's worth considering the potential ramifications. I doubt other manufacturers are testing at the same level as Zipp and Enve.

It's also worth considering why ETRTO went through the trouble of updating the guidelines, specifically noting that ETRTO knew that the new guideless would be problematic for some of Zipp/Enve's products, yet they decided to push ahead with them anyways. Clearly ETRTO sees some potential problems with 28mm tires on 25mm ID rims.
Old 05-19-23, 12:42 PM
DaveSSS 

I take the zipp rim chart as regurgitation of tire manufacturer info, not their testing. For example:

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...prix-5000-s-tr

If in doubt, contact the tire manufacturer.
Old 05-19-23, 01:38 PM
msu2001la

I take the zipp rim chart as regurgitation of tire manufacturer info, not their testing. For example:

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...prix-5000-s-tr

If in doubt, contact the tire manufacturer.
The CyclingNews article I linked above discusses this. It says "Zipp is doing tests on each tyre and making a recommendation."
They interviewed Continental in that article as well, and they indicate that they agree with ETRTO on this topic (which seems to contradict the chart on the product page for the GP 5000).

ETRTO is just guidance. As far as I know there's no requirement for anyone to adhere to those guidelines. My point with mentioning all of this is just to highlight that 28mm tires on a 25mm hookless rim is pushing the limits (or beyond them if you listen to ETRTO) and this combo should be approached with caution.

Personally I'd be comfortable running a 28mm tire on a 25mm Zipp wheel in part because they state that they've tested this combo and it's safe. The other part of this is that I run a 28mm tire at 60psi, well below the 73psi limit. If I were pushing up against that 73psi limit and/or using a wheel brand that isn't offering similar assurances, I'd definitely be going with 30mm.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-22-23, 11:21 AM
Jrasero

The CyclingNews article I linked above discusses this. It says "Zipp is doing tests on each tyre and making a recommendation."
They interviewed Continental in that article as well, and they indicate that they agree with ETRTO on this topic (which seems to contradict the chart on the product page for the GP 5000).

ETRTO is just guidance. As far as I know there's no requirement for anyone to adhere to those guidelines. My point with mentioning all of this is just to highlight that 28mm tires on a 25mm hookless rim is pushing the limits (or beyond them if you listen to ETRTO) and this combo should be approached with caution.

Personally I'd be comfortable running a 28mm tire on a 25mm Zipp wheel in part because they state that they've tested this combo and it's safe. The other part of this is that I run a 28mm tire at 60psi, well below the 73psi limit. If I were pushing up against that 73psi limit and/or using a wheel brand that isn't offering similar assurances, I'd definitely be going with 30mm.
GCN Performance on Youtube covered this and while I am no for hookless, it's important to remember these are just recommendations. However the recommended tire is now 29mm which just leaves ENVE tires? Or lik you mentioned, you can just jump up to 30mm tires. I have reiterated this countless times and that's hookless is fine but for gravel or MTB but just because "x" amount of people bought 303s doesn't mean your "average" cyclist gets hookless and you always run the risk of them over inflating and using the wrong tire
Old 05-22-23, 01:58 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Jrasero
GCN Performance on Youtube covered this and while I am no for hookless, it's important to remember these are just recommendations. However the recommended tire is now 29mm which just leaves ENVE tires? Or lik you mentioned, you can just jump up to 30mm tires. I have reiterated this countless times and that's hookless is fine but for gravel or MTB but just because "x" amount of people bought 303s doesn't mean your "average" cyclist gets hookless and you always run the risk of them over inflating and using the wrong tire
Speaking of the average cyclist - I wonder how often shops see bikes coming in with hookless rims, but the owner is running regular tubed clinchers on them? I assume this happens fairly often, especially as bikes/wheels get re-sold second hand. It's not a problem until it is.

This conversation reminds me of the time a colleague of mine learned the hard way that the new (used) car they purchased had summer-only tires on it.
Old 05-22-23, 02:12 PM
Jrasero

Speaking of the average cyclist - I wonder how often shops see bikes coming in with hookless rims, but the owner is running regular tubed clinchers on them? I assume this happens fairly often, especially as bikes/wheels get re-sold second hand. It's not a problem until it is.

This conversation reminds me of the time a colleague of mine learned the hard way that the new (used) car they purchased had summer-only tires on it.
The guy from GCN Performance mentioned how gets older riders coming in who just aren't aware of hookless or that their bike's wheels are hookless let alone setup tubeless,
Old 06-23-23, 05:47 PM
alexp247365

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the 2023 Hyper D45's rim brake version and have run them 4600 miles this year in a tubeless configuration. They ride as true to the day they were purchased and have been used for more challenging rides like descending Mount Lemon twice now. I don't find myself finding fault with any part of them and came here hoping to talk myself out of buying the disc version for a new build around a 2023 Time Alpe D'Huez Frame. So far that hasn't happened!

As far as Botique Chinese carbon wheelsets go, I think the Hyper series sit at the top. There are plenty of videos out there on youtube to do the research on, and I've seen these wheels run by pro conti teams over in Australia. Carbon spokes adoption among the larger wheel brands is also on the rise, so it may just be that Lun was ahead of the curve, which is not necessarily a fault. As their adoption continues, distribution and servicing options will continue to improve.

11 days to ship from China to arrival in Arizona FWIW.