Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Sugary drinks and hair loss

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 01-06-23, 05:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/15/1/214
Old 01-06-23, 09:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I saw a pop-health, alt-medicine link to that story this week, but didn't read the actual referenced study. But I just glanced at the introduction to the published study. It's too limited to be applicable globally. And I'm skeptical about the self reporting methodology.

Not to defend sugary drinks or excessive intake of sugar, but...

I've become skeptical of most "studies" about nutrition until they've been peer reviewed and replicated by other research. Too many so-called scientific studies on nutrition were heavily biased from the start -- usually commissioned by food, booze, drug and vice lobbyists -- accepted and regurgitated as fact for years before credible research debunked the earlier claims.

No doubt excessive sugar is linked to diabetes and related diseases, and obesity. But hair loss? I'll need to see some independent confirmation. Which probably won't come for several more years.

A year or so ago there was also speculation among researchers that a sugary diet may have been a risk factor in COVID outcomes. I don't know whether there's been any followup or confirmation. I do recall noticing that among the people in their 30s-40s who died from COVID, most appeared to be overweight or obese. But it would be interesting to see some credible studies. That will take time and funding. We dropped the ball on that back in 2004 after the first SARS pandemic.

At this point some of these claims sound like the "research" that linked cyclists wearing helmets or athletes taking acetaminophen to "higher risk taking behaviors." Reeeaaallllyyy? Let's see a thorough review of the studies and independent replication to determine whether they were biased, or whether they excluded potentially relevant psychological and behavioral factors that had nothing to do with helmets and analgesics. Let's see data about the sampling groups to sort out the serious pro and amateur athletes from the recreational and fitness types, which is another factor in mindset and behaviors.

Last edited by canklecat; 01-06-23 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-06-23, 11:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I kind of got tricked into publishing in an mdpi journal once, but in general I would be suspicious of anything they publish.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-08-23, 09:45 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Interesting and, I guess, plausible, even if sugar is a surrogate for some other associated factor. I didn’t understand all of the statistics, but the analysis seems pretty sophisticated and the sample is fairly large.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I kind of got tricked into publishing in an mdpi journal once, but in general I would be suspicious of anything they publish.
Agree, not great, but I think the journals vary somewhat in quality and selectivity. At least the Ed Board of that journal seems to have legit experts on it. I think my name got on an MDPI paper or two over the years too, but I seem to be an unpaid content producer, editor, and promoter exclusively for the big “E” these days, and they have their issues too.
Old 01-08-23, 10:30 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
JAMA had a meta-study reviewing published nutritional studies, I don't remember exactly, maybe a year or two ago? They found that 83% had researcher bias. I think that explains a lot of the changes in nutrition advice over the years. I should have bookmarked it. But yeah, eat a med diet and don't use sugary drinks - except on the bike!

And it's China, right? While I don't think MPHL
has become a global public health problem
I applaud the political goal to get kids to drink fewer SSBs. After all,
numerous studies have indicated the negative effect of the Western diet on MPHL
and
​​​​​​​Emphasizing that SSB consumption could have a potential negative effect on one’s appearance could catch the attention of the young population and promote a reduction in SSB intake.
You go, guys.
​​​​​​​
Old 01-08-23, 11:58 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Agreed. They invite me to contribute papers/edit special volumes on a regular basis. Those in the business understand their role in the scientific publishing ecosystem, but others may not.
Old 01-08-23, 12:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Interesting and, I guess, plausible, even if sugar is a surrogate for some other associated factor. I didn’t understand all of the statistics, but the analysis seems pretty sophisticated and the sample is fairly large.

Agree, not great, but I think the journals vary somewhat in quality and selectivity. At least the Ed Board of that journal seems to have legit experts on it. I think my name got on an MDPI paper or two over the years too, but I seem to be an unpaid content producer, editor, and promoter exclusively for the big “E” these days, and they have their issues too.
Oh yeah, the big "E". We all hate them, but in truth I send most of my papers to them.
Old 01-08-23, 03:39 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

What is "The Big E"? Elsiver?

MPDI sent me a swiss army knife, which I guess is nice but kind of weird.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-08-23 at 03:45 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-09-23, 01:26 AM
MinnMan

yup
Old 01-09-23, 07:31 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Yes, too much sugar is bad for you. The issue is what is too much. Do I consume too much sugar if I intake multiple 100gs in one day? Yes if I sit all day, but also yes if I exercise and burn them off straight away?
I have no doubt that too much sugar could be a cause for hair loss, because it could even be indirectly, by making you obese and generally less healthy which may impact your hair. Who knows. I can believe it. But so what? We already know too much of (most, or all) things are bad.
Old 01-09-23, 08:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

MPDI sent me a swiss army knife, which I guess is nice but kind of weird.
I'd probably have to send that back.

Elsevier subsidizes an annual international conference for a competitor journal to one I'm an associate editor for, and flies all my frenemies on their ed board to it business class! I have tried gently boycotting the meeting as a racketeer influenced and corrupt organization (aka pure jealousy), but postdocs gotta postdoc.
Old 01-09-23, 08:53 AM
MinnMan

Elsevier subsidizes an annual international conference for a competitor journal to one I'm an associate editor for, and flies all my frenemies on their ed board to it business class! I have tried gently boycotting the meeting as a racketeer influenced and corrupt organization (aka pure jealousy), but postdocs gotta postdoc.
I spent a brief period of time on the editorial board of an Elsevier journal. I took part in two annual meetings, both in London. I recall the first one, when our handler asked our restaurant preferences, the more experienced members of the board said that the requirement was that the establishment have a Michelin star!
Old 01-09-23, 10:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I spent a brief period of time on the editorial board of an Elsevier journal. I took part in two annual meetings, both in London. I recall the first one, when our handler asked our restaurant preferences, the more experienced members of the board said that the requirement was that the establishment have a Michelin star!
I'm a section editor on two right now and put a hell of a lot of time into them. I get a plane ticket, a hotel room, and couple of dinners a year from a clinical society attached to one of them, but that's part of an actual working meeting. As far as I know, neither board gets anything.
Old 01-09-23, 11:12 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I just stuck it in a desk drawer. The corkscrew is useful should I ever need to pick my nose.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-09-23, 11:13 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I'm a section editor on two right now and put a hell of a lot of time into them. I get a plane ticket, a hotel room, and couple of dinners a year from a clinical society attached to one of them, but that's part of an actual working meeting. As far as I know, neither board gets anything.
That's better than the NIH. They aren't allowed to feed you.
Old 01-09-23, 11:30 AM
MinnMan

The financial arrangements at Elsevier journals vary a great deal from one journal to another. The journal I was associated with paid editors $150 for each paper they handled, whether the paper went through the whole process or was rejected without review (which was about 2/3 of the submissions at the time - it is a pretty selective journal). Editors handled between 100 and 300 papers/year. This was 10 years ago.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-09-23, 11:37 AM
MoAlpha
• —

That's better than the NIH. They aren't allowed to feed you.
You don't have to tell me! I have worked in an NIH intramural program for 33 years.
Old 01-09-23, 11:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by MinnMan
The financial arrangements at Elsevier journals vary a great deal from one journal to another. The journal I was associated with paid editors $150 for each paper they handled, whether the paper went through the whole process or was rejected without review (which was about 2/3 of the submissions at the time - it is a pretty selective journal). Editors handled between 100 and 300 papers/year. This was 10 years ago.
Wow, I've never heard of that, but it would be fantastic! Where did the funds come from?

Of course, I'd have to do it on my own time and my own computer and my ethics folks would never let me take it anyway.

For one of my "clients" I trash at least 2/3 without review. The other one, I send nearly everything out and it all seems to get accepted.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 01-09-23 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-09-23, 12:47 PM
MinnMan

Wow, I've never heard of that, but it would be fantastic! Where did the funds come from?

Of course, I'd have to do it on my own time and my own computer and my ethics folks would never let me take it anyway.

For one of my "clients" I trash at least 2/3 without review. The other one, I send nearly everything out and it all seems to get accepted.
The money comes from Elsevier. With their giant profit margins, they can afford it. Or, really, it comes from taxpayers, who fund institutional libraries (universities, research orgs) which pay Elsevier's exorbitant subscription fees. I suppose some portion of their subscriptions come from R&D departments in industry, but the lion's share comes from academic institutions. And even in private universitie, the library costs are being supported by grant overhead.

University profs can accept consulting and other outside income, so long as they report it to their institution and their total external effort doesn't exceed some percentage. Yeah, federal civil servants are in a different position.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-09-23, 01:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
got as far as this & said to myself "nope" not reading any more

excerpt" "epidemiological studies on the association between SSB intake and MPHL are still insufficient, especially among the young population. With limited data, a cross-sectional study indicated that sugary beverage intake is a protective factor for MPHL [9], which is inconsistent with the results of biological mechanism studies. Therefore, the association between SSB intake and MPHL needs to be confirmed by additional studies"

personally, I've been using finasteride & minoxidil for about 8-9 years with success

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-09-23 at 08:45 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6: