Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riders' Build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riders' Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-23, 05:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Cyclists of the GC/climber variety generally have minimal upper body mass. This is intentional. Upper mass is extra weight to carry that does not make a meaningful contribution to powering the bike.
Old 05-13-23, 05:51 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Wiggens

Old 05-13-23, 06:22 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Wiggens
Height: 190 cm
Weight: 69 kg
BMI: 19.1 (healthy)

Old 05-14-23, 05:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
While pro cyclists may appear quite thin, on average they fall into a pretty normal, "healthy" range.

Pro cyclist averages:
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 68 kg
BMI: 21

The "healthy" BMI range is 18.5-24.9, so pro cyclists fall in the middle of the healthy range.
On the other hand, anyone who is even close to honest and rational can see that they are incredibly thin.

Riders during the season--particularly climbers, or GC contenders ---have Exceedingly low fat and store almost no energy. They have almost no insulation. They need to eat constantly. They are so close to the edge of what is sustainable that they are in fact Not very healthy---though they are very athletic.

It is a tough and very uncompromising life.

Saying they are "healthy" because of some generalized standard ..... and in fact, BMI does not apply to a Lot of the sports-oriented population. I'd imagine body-builders pre-competition, with 5% body fat, would fall into the "Morbidly Obese" category.

Compare that to the average BMI of an adult male in North America: 28.8, overweight.

So pro cyclists appear thin compared to the average overweight North American.
No dude. They Are Exceedingly Thin. They trim not just fat but every gram of unused muscle off their bodies. They carry nothing more than what gets them up that hill ... they are extremely highly specialized. it is not that they "look" thin. They are nearly emaciated.

On the question of why they are so lean, here's one reason: Anyone who does endurance training 25-30 hours per week will have little body fat. Endurance training consumes fat.
They are so lean because they train to be so lean. Serious GC contenders Try to lose fat and muscle anywhere it doesn't help them win races. By the way ... a long-distance swimmer who trains that much might have 25 BMI ... because fatt aids buoyancy, provides fuel, and provides insulation.

"According to Knechtle, women are better at fat burning over longer distances than men. He averaged that women marathon swimmers have between 30.7 and 31.3% of body fat, while men have between 18.8-20.2%. The higher the fat percentage, the better the buoyancy and insulation against cold water." (https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...thon-swimming/)
Old 05-14-23, 07:21 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
On the other hand, anyone who is even close to honest and rational can see that they are incredibly thin.

Riders during the season--particularly climbers, or GC contenders ---have Exceedingly low fat and store almost no energy. They have almost no insulation. They need to eat constantly. They are so close to the edge of what is sustainable that they are in fact Not very healthy---though they are very athletic.
While they definitely are on the skinny side for humans, they're nowhere near animals who actually need to eat constantly like sea otters. Pros need to eat constantly because they're expending a lot of energy competing in races and carbs are a much quicker source of energy. They've still got plenty of body fat to burn as fuel to complement that carb intake, and they're exceptionally efficient at burning that fat as their bodies have adapted from all the riding they do. If they weren't racing, the average pro has enough body fat to survive for probably 2 weeks at least without eating (I've seen estimates of 6% body fat at the low end of the spectrum) even with moderate exercise. They aren't going to keel over instantly if they miss a meal, they'd just be hangry (there are lots of stories of pros going through wild mood swings when deep into a stage race) and uncompetitive.

Heck, when I started bike commuting regularly without consciously increasing my regular calorie intake, I dropped 10 lbs over ~4 months and my BMI was 19. I never felt anything worse than a little hungry and tired, and only after long efforts.

Last edited by surak; 05-14-23 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-15-23, 06:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Six percent body fat is about as low as competing body-builders ... about as low as it gets. There is no way they have fat to burn for two weeks ... the body starts eating muscle when it is starving, and they have leg muscle ... but you look at that picture of Bradley Wiggins and tell me he isn't extremely thin. Go ahead.

Much less fat intake and the body lacks lipids to build the myelin sheaths around the nerves, which is why (according to a couple sources, not experience) body-builders in the couple days before competition can be really cranky---their nerves are short-circuiting because the insulation is worn.

Whatever. You keep thinking BMI is what determines health.

And keep explaining that those marathon swimmers with 20+ percent body fat are not as healthy.
Old 05-15-23, 07:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
All you had to do to determine how a body build affects a particular discipline is to watch one of the many college conference track and field outdoor championships that were going on this weekend. Horses for courses. You don't see any skinny runts out there putting the shot. Nor do you see any big bulky people running distance. It's a Captain Obvious moment. The commentators on one I was watching said that if you polled all of the competitiors on which were the hardest races, they would say the 2 or 3 events that transition between the pure sprints and the distance events. Most if not all of the competitors were doing multiple races within their disciplines. A lot of times, they would finish one event and head off to do another within the next 30 minutes to an hour.

Those are about as well conditioned of an athlete as you'll see, at least relative to the disciplines they are doing.

Last edited by seypat; 05-15-23 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-15-23, 09:13 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I don’t get the obsession with BMI. Every year I get my physical my PCP mentions how I’m close to overweight despite my 12% body fat being much lower than many with a lower BMI.

At some point, we have to use our eyes no?
Old 05-15-23, 09:30 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Six percent body fat is about as low as competing body-builders ... about as low as it gets. There is no way they have fat to burn for two weeks ... the body starts eating muscle when it is starving, and they have leg muscle ... but you look at that picture of Bradley Wiggins and tell me he isn't extremely thin. Go ahead.

Much less fat intake and the body lacks lipids to build the myelin sheaths around the nerves, which is why (according to a couple sources, not experience) body-builders in the couple days before competition can be really cranky---their nerves are short-circuiting because the insulation is worn.

And keep explaining that those marathon swimmers with 20+ percent body fat are not as healthy.
Straw-man much? You'll have to show where I wrote any of what you think you're refuting. I was disagreeing with your statement that they're unhealthily thin and will keel over if they don't eat, just because they have low body fat percentage. A pro burns an estimated 7000 kCals in one grand tour stage, and they burn part of their ample fat stores along with carbs, period.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-15-23, 06:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I don’t get the obsession with BMI. Every year I get my physical my PCP mentions how I’m close to overweight despite my 12% body fat being much lower than many with a lower BMI.

At some point, we have to use our eyes no?
And/or our brains. But BMI is easily calculated from two easily-measured numbers and it allows people to be segregated into discrete categories, which makes things so much simpler than the multidimensional spectra that Nature actually provides.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-15-23, 06:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
BMI doesn't seem to address distribution of the weight. If a lot of it is disproportionately sitting in the thighs and legs , does it count toward 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' biases?
Old 05-15-23, 07:21 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
BMI doesn't seem to address distribution of the weight. If a lot of it is disproportionately sitting in the thighs and legs , does it count toward 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' biases?
So ... parts of the riders are exceedingly healthy while other parts are exceedingly unhealthy .... makes as much sense ......