Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rim Brakes On Disc Wheelset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-17-23, 08:56 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts

Not sure I am in the correct forum, excuse me if not. I want to upgrade my Giant Contend 4 AR with a Shimano 105 groupset and Hunt aluminum wheelset. The groupsets I am looking at are with the older rim brakes, and that is OK with me, but my stock wheelset and the proposed Hunt set are disc wheels. Is there a problem trying to install and use rim these rim brakes on either of those disc wheelsets?

I know, I know, it is stupid to try an expensive upgrade on an entry level bike but I want to do it anyway for my own enjoyment.
Old 05-17-23, 08:59 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Yes. And finally, yes.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-17-23, 09:19 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8258 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Yes. And finally, yes.
You understood that?
Likes For big john:
Old 05-17-23, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
How will you know the expensive wheel set did much for you if you don't ride the wheel set it came with for a year or so to get used to it. Your good feeling about anything better about them might just be you fooling yourself that you spent your money well.

Not that I don't appreciate the better qualities that better more expensive wheel sets can give you. To me, if ride comfort is the quality, you are looking for, then you are probably wrong to think going to more expensive wheels will give you that. Typically, they give you better performance for handling the bike.
Old 05-17-23, 10:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
If the wheels don't have proper brake tracks on the rim you will not be able to brake properly and it is likely that your rim brakes will damage the rims
As well, most disc brake wheels require thru axles while most rim brake bikes have quick release axles

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-17-23 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-17-23, 10:33 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Yes. And finally, yes.
Yes. It is a problem and yes, it is stupid.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-17-23, 10:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Oh, as usual I had it twisted. I thought you were putting rims with a braking surface on a bike with disc brakes. So in that case, I'll go with the first response made in this thread for the answer.

How old is your Contend that it didn't come with disc brakes?
Old 05-17-23, 11:02 AM
alcjphil

I looked up that bike and it appears to have mechanical disc brakes. When buying the groupset, you simply don't buy rim brake callipers, you use the disc brake callipers that are already installed on the bike
If your bike already has disc brakes there is likely no provision for installing rim brake callipers anyway
Looking at pictures of the bike, there is no place to mount a rim brake either in front or the back

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-17-23 at 11:37 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-17-23, 11:10 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
As well, most disc brake wheels require thru axles while most rim brake bikes have quick release axles
Additionally, disc brake hubs have a wider OLD dimension, requiring a frame and fork with the correct spacing.

Some early disc brake wheelsets were built with rims that can use rim brakes. Lately, most don't have braking surfaces on the rims. Manufacturers want to take advantage of the opportunity to make the rims lighter and more aero, so their disc-specific wheels absolutely will not work safely with rim brakes. If you want to confirm, you should contact Hunt. Tell them what you want to do and see what they say.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 05-17-23, 12:38 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Let me see if I can help this thread.

Originally Posted by spinconn
I want to upgrade my Giant Contend 4 AR
It's a disc brake bike that has Shimano Claris. The discs are mechanical.

with a Shimano 105 groupset and Hunt aluminum wheelset.
The OP wants to upgrade that stock Shimano Claris and OEM brand alloy wheels to Shimano 105 and Hunt Aluminum wheels.

The groupsets I am looking at are with the older rim brakes, and that is OK with me
The stock disc brakes are cable actuated mechanical calipers, so a rim brake groupset will work - you just have to keep your existing mechanical disc brake calipers. You won't need the rim brake calipers that come with these groupsets.

As an alternative, you should consider getting a Shimano 105 hydraulic groupset. This would require you to install new brake calipers (and hydraulic hoses) but would be a much bigger upgrade than keeping the mechanical disc brakes.

but my stock wheelset and the proposed Hunt set are disc wheels.
This is correct, and likely where things get confusing for you and others reading this. Your bike is disc brake, and will always be disc brake. Any wheels you buy should be disc brake wheels.

Is there a problem trying to install and use rim these rim brakes on either of those disc wheelsets?
Yes - definitely a problem. You can't install rim brakes on your bike. It's disc. It'll always be disc.
The good news here is that a rim-brake groupset can work though - you'll just need to use them with the existing mechanical (cable) disc brake calipers. Mechanical disc brakes use the same cable and lever as rim brakes.

I know, I know, it is stupid to try an expensive upgrade on an entry level bike but I want to do it anyway for my own enjoyment.
Ignore the haters. There's nothing wrong with upgrading your bike - just make sure you get the right parts.
Old 05-17-23, 01:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
I could agree with the mechanics of msu2001la but I wouldn't put a lot of money towards the bike. It is rare that a frame is special and they just put whatever low initial cost gruppo on it. I would just save the money and get the bike with 105 on it already you will likely get a much better bike and in the end save some money to a point. Yes a new bike is more expensive but buying a single groupset vs. any bike brand buying 100,000 groupsets is a more expensive proposition.

Ride this bike figure out what you like and don't like and then try some bikes that seem like they have what you want and save up for them or buy them and have this one as a back up or a rainy day bike or beater or something. N+1 is scientifically proven to make sure you have bikes.
Old 05-17-23, 01:39 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Square peg- Round hole.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 05-17-23, 05:38 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Sometimes, one just has to try something to find out it will not work, no matter how many knowledgeable, or not so knowledgeable, people say it will not work. I had a bike that was built with the ability to use rim brake calipers or mechanical disc brakes. The fork and rear were pre-drilled for road, it also had cantilever mounts installed, not the posts, and the original wheels had both brake tracks and and 6 bolt disc hubs. I only used the original mech disc set up, and gave the bike to a friend with the original set up. It is a Schwinn Super Sport DBX, I believe a couple of other companies built the same style, but I do not know of any at this time.
To my way of thinking, it does not make sense to buy a group set that is not compatible with the bike it is intended for, then attempt to change the nature of the bike to fit the group.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-18-23, 03:09 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 637 Posts
If a frame is meant for rim brakes , so it won't work with disc brakes, so I would suggest to buy a higher end used rim brakes wheelset
Old 05-18-23, 08:24 AM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by georges1
If a frame is meant for rim brakes , so it won't work with disc brakes, so I would suggest to buy a higher end used rim brakes wheelset
In post #1 the OP indicated that they already have disc brakes
Old 05-18-23, 08:54 AM
spinconn

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
It seems my original post was confusing so I will explain more. I have a Giant Contend 4 AR, which has the Claris groupset and mechanical disc brakes, and it is a medium size frame. I wanted a Contend 1 AR, which has the 105 groupset and hydraulic disc brakes but none were in stock anywhere near me and for some reason dealers far away are not allowed to ship this bike to me or to another dealer. So, I got the AR4 and, as it turns out, I love the bike and especially how well the frame fits me. So, I thought I could upgrade it to the AR1 level by getting a 105 groupset and better grade wheels, but the price for the hydraulic brake 105 groupset was more than I want to spend on an upgrade, so I was thinking of getting the rim brake version which is considerably cheaper. I did not know if it was possible to use rim brakes on a bike set up for mechanical discs, hence the original question.

I have received so many warnings in the responses to this thread I have decided to forget about the upgrade. I will keep looking for a medium AR1 and just buy a second bike if I find one, but I am now getting tempted by the AR1 in medium/large as they are in stock online and I can have one shipped to my LBS. Won't fit as well but I may give it a try.
Old 05-18-23, 10:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

IMO, bicycles shouldn't be a one bike for life thing. Save your money for your next bike. Ride the crap out of the current bike until you save enough to get the bike you really want.
Old 05-18-23, 10:25 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8258 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
It seems my original post was confusing so I will explain more. I have a Giant Contend 4 AR, which has the Claris groupset and mechanical disc brakes, and it is a medium size frame. I wanted a Contend 1 AR, which has the 105 groupset and hydraulic disc brakes but none were in stock anywhere near me and for some reason dealers far away are not allowed to ship this bike to me or to another dealer. So, I got the AR4 and, as it turns out, I love the bike and especially how well the frame fits me. So, I thought I could upgrade it to the AR1 level by getting a 105 groupset and better grade wheels, but the price for the hydraulic brake 105 groupset was more than I want to spend on an upgrade, so I was thinking of getting the rim brake version which is considerably cheaper. I did not know if it was possible to use rim brakes on a bike set up for mechanical discs, hence the original question.

I have received so many warnings in the responses to this thread I have decided to forget about the upgrade. I will keep looking for a medium AR1 and just buy a second bike if I find one, but I am now getting tempted by the AR1 in medium/large as they are in stock online and I can have one shipped to my LBS. Won't fit as well but I may give it a try.
If you have a bike which fits why would you intentionally buy one that you know won't fit? Maybe you can adapt to different sizes, I don't know. But if I was happy with the fit of a certain bike I definitely wouldn't buy the same bike in a different size, even if it did have better parts.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-18-23, 10:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Sometimes, one just has to try something to find out it will not work, no matter how many knowledgeable, or not so knowledgeable, people say it will not work.
Oh maybe the OP just rephrases their question, it makes sense to people, and a correct answer can be given. That eliminates wasting time and money on something that may not work.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-18-23, 11:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Hang on here, many responses to your initial question were because it was phrased so confusingly. Ignore those responses since they were based on confusion.

The Content 4 and Contend 1 have the same frame and fork. Comments like 'it isnt worth upgrading a cheap Claris bike' are sometimes correct, but in this case, I think they really miss the mark. You are basically just changing the drivetrain and wheels out to make it equal or in some ways better than the Content 1.
You can install a 105 rim brake drivetrain to your bike and use it right away. The 105 rim brake option uses the same cables as a cable disc brake setup, which you already have. Basically, your current Claris drivetrain is a rim brake drivetrain. A cable disc brake operates with the same cable and brake lever pull as a rim brake.
And the Hunt wheels are disc brake, so they will obviously fit the bike. Your bike has 142mm rear drop out and thru axles. Any modern Hunt wheelset will have those specs. And very likely- the Hunt wheelset will be lighter than your stock wheels(they will be lighter than the wheels that come on the Contend 1 too).

So in the end, your bike would have 105 shifting, lighter wheels, and still use the stock disc brakes to stop.
The only think I would suggest is buy some good tires. Fast rolling tires really transform a bike and the stock Giant branded tires on your bike are not fast rolling. Its a relatively inexpensive change that is big on impact.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-18-23, 03:27 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Not sure I am in the correct forum, excuse me if not. I want to upgrade my Giant Contend 4 AR with a Shimano 105 groupset and Hunt aluminum wheelset. The groupsets I am looking at are with the older rim brakes, and that is OK with me, but my stock wheelset and the proposed Hunt set are disc wheels. Is there a problem trying to install and use rim these rim brakes on either of those disc wheelsets?
I'm assuming you mean whether you could use the levers in the groupset for your disc brakes.

(It's not likely the bike has a place to mount the actual rim brake calipers and they won't work on disc brake wheels anyway.)

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...vs-rim-brakes/

Geared toward the casual rider and at-home mechanic, the biggest upside of mechanical disc brakes is that they are compatible with normal rim brake shifters. Mechanical disc brakes are also cheaper than comparable hydraulic disc brakes, both in terms of the brakes themselves and the bikes designed for them.
... so I was thinking of getting the rim brake version which is considerably cheaper. I did not know if it was possible to use rim brakes on a bike set up for mechanical discs, hence the original question.
You can use the levers on your mechanical disc brakes but you can't use the rim brake calipers. There's not going to be a place to mount the brake calipers and the rims on the disc wheel aren't designed to be used for rim brakes.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-18-23 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-18-23, 03:37 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Sometimes, one just has to try something to find out it will not work, no matter how many knowledgeable, or not so knowledgeable, people say it will not work.
"Try it."

To my way of thinking, it does not make sense to buy a group set that is not compatible with the bike it is intended for, then attempt to change the nature of the bike to fit the group.
"Don't try it."

You managed to cover both sides without providing any useful advice.

I had a bike that was built with the ability to use rim brake calipers or mechanical disc brakes. The fork and rear were pre-drilled for road, it also had cantilever mounts installed, not the posts,...
This sounds like some sort of transitional thing (when disc brakes were new). Currently, people aren't going to be choosing caliper (or cantilever!) brakes over disc brakes. Making the frame compatible with other brake types increases the cost of manufacturing the frame (for no good reason).

The bike he has doesn't support rim (or cantilever) brakes.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-4-2021

...and the original wheels had both brake tracks and and 6 bolt disc hubs.
This seems somewhat unusual. Especially for "upgrade" wheels.

The wheels the OP might be considering don't have rim brake tracks.

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...-disc-wheelset

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-18-23 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 10:37 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I did not know if it was possible to use rim brakes on a bike set up for mechanical discs, hence the original question.
Your original question was clear. My answer stands: 'Square peg. Round Hole"

While there are a few bikes out there that can actually run either rim or disc brakes they are truly the exception- not the rule. Van Dessel did a great job of that for years but it also required swapping the fork and the dropouts on the frame. Not standard operating procedure for Giant.

So - NO. You can not put rim brakes on a frame that is already made for disc brakes.

Old 05-19-23, 12:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Your original question was clear. My answer stands: 'Square peg. Round Hole"

While there are a few bikes out there that can actually run either rim or disc brakes they are truly the exception- not the rule. Van Dessel did a great job of that for years but it also required swapping the fork and the dropouts on the frame. Not standard operating procedure for Giant.

So - NO. You can not put rim brakes on a frame that is already made for disc brakes.
...but the OP just wants to get a 'rim brake groupset' and the Hunt wheel will be disc wheels. The bike is already set up for disc.
So just use the 105 rim brake groupset and use the disc brake calipers already on the bike. Its really just a swap from Claris to 105 while using the same low end cable disc brake calipers.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-19-23, 01:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
...but the OP just wants to get a 'rim brake groupset' and the Hunt wheel will be disc wheels. The bike is already set up for disc.
So just use the 105 rim brake groupset and use the disc brake calipers already on the bike. Its really just a swap from Claris to 105 while using the same low end cable disc brake calipers.
Yes, the OP could do that. But I think Psimet2001 was referencing the original question, part of which I've pasted below:
​​​​​​
Is there a problem trying to install and use rim these rim brakes on either of those disc wheelsets?
The OP's frame does not appear to have any mounting points for rim brakes, so the answer (to this question) is a hard 'no.'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.